News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MN/ND/MT/ID/WA Freeways heading West - HOME!!!!

Started by grdprx, December 08, 2009, 10:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

I have to move my Mom from MN to Seattle.  She has to move, and move now.  I get to pack her up and bring her back.  My concern is the road conditions..  I think I'll be in a 26' rental truck, I assume the freeway ought to be pretty well maintained; considering that the semi trucks move freight east and west all the time.

I'll be leaving Minneapolis mid January, west on I-94 through ND to MT, and onto I-90 to ID and WA.

Obviously, if there is a storm, I'll be screwed.  But I thought I'd ask if there was someone from the area that could describe what to expect in normal conditions.  Maybe suggestions, ie only traveling during the day or something...  I looked at traffic cameras, and the road looks clear...  Appreciate any input you have.  thanks!

I've driven to Yellowstone in the summer before.  Also been to Spokane from Seattle in the winter...

grdprx

One suggestion I got was to head 100 miles south and travel west through South Dakota..  Slightly less severe weather.

ITSA426

Driving across South Dakota has always been extreme for me, too hot in summer or too cold in winter.  It looks like you're talking a month out.  It could be anything by then.  Just keep an eye on the weather and be sure and pack all the emergency gear you even might need.  Cell phones and credit cards are helpful.  Freeways are pretty well maintained.  I'd probably just go through ND unless the weather is better south.  Patience is a necessity.  If the weather turns bad just wait it out in a hotel with a hot tub.

PocketThunder

Quote from: grdprx on December 08, 2009, 10:14:49 PMI'll be leaving Minneapolis mid January, west on I-94 through ND to MT, and onto I-90 to ID and WA.

I'll hop in with you for the ride back and you can drop me off in Montana so i can snowboard for the rest of the winter...   :boogie:

Oh thats right, i have a job and 3 kids that need to be fed..   :slap:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

67_Dodge_Charger

Keeping current on weather conditions on mountain passes at each stop will help.  The interstates are the best route choices and will be slow when the weather changes.  Plan for delays and be ready to stay in a community until conditions favor travel. :popcrn:

PocketThunder

How about sell all the furniture locally and only pack what she needs to survive and take the train home?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Builder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

grdprx

Good plans, think I'll see if there is wi-fi at rest stops, so I can check conditions.

Interesting that you say ND is better than SD, Itsa426, I'll definitely compare the routes when I'm ready to roll.

PT, I'd love the company to talk Chargers.   :cheers:   I too have the same commitments at home though.  :coolgleamA:

I'd love to sell all her stuff and bring her, but she'll need it all when she finds an apartment; and replacement would probably cost more.  Plus she has a bunch of "crap" - a lifetime of belongings.   :icon_smile_blackeye:  My step-father had a stroke in September, so I can't exactally be too hard on her.

Forza

Also take into account when traveling at night, if you were to run into an emergency, most law enforcement agencies don't have 24/7 coverage. They usually have on-call time really late in the night (around 0300). As far as interstate travel, the interstate is usually pretty well cleared here in SD. When a winter storm hits the plows are usually constantly out.

Here's a great site for ya

http://www.safetravelusa.com/sd/#

grdprx

Thanks for the links guys!  Those look helpful.

Appreciate the input and suggestions!   :cheers:

89MOPAR

Definitley bring chains for the Snoqualimie pass.  If it's snowing they higway patrol may declare chains required, if you don't have them it's a long drive back to find a hotel....
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

draftingmonkey

Quote from: Ranger Max on December 09, 2009, 05:10:15 PM
4: Going I94/I90 you will only have three passes in MT Here are cameras that monitor the passes. (2 passes in WA - Fourth of July and Snoqualime Pass) Make sure you bring chains just in case.

Washington would have 1 pass, Snoqualmie @ 3022 ft, and Idaho has 2, Lookout Pass @ 4725ft near Montana border and 4th of July Pass @ 3173 ft just east of Coeur D' Alene. Carry chains as mentioned as you will be in the heart of winter driving. About a guarantee that you will need them.  Keep an eye on the weather forecast before traveling so as to have an idea of what to expect before you get on the road, I use accuweather.com myself.

Snoqualmie Pass - http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/passes/snoqualmie/default.aspx
Idaho Passes - http://511.idaho.gov/staticMap.asp?display=mountain

grdprx

Do people use chains in the Midwest?  I just called Discount tire in Minneaoplis, and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.  I had to S P E L L it out for him!   :flame:

Or, will I not need the chains until I start climbing the mountains?

moparguy01

I've lived in ND all my life and have never used chains. I rarely even turn on the 4wd in my truck to tell you the truth. We just get used to not having them since its all flat here.  :lol: In the mountains you'd probably need chains though.

PocketThunder

Quote from: grdprx on December 16, 2009, 03:51:47 PM
Do people use chains in the Midwest?  I just called Discount tire in Minneaoplis, and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.  I had to S P E L L it out for him!   :flame:

Or, will I not need the chains until I start climbing the mountains?

We dont have chain requirements here in Minnesota.  Too much salt on the roads.  You probably wont need chains till you hit the rockies.  Probably every truck stop around that point of the trip will have some for sale.     :yesnod:

grdprx

Right on, thanks guys!  You've all be very informative and helpful. 

DC.com rocks!   :cheers:

grdprx

Well, the Truck is reserved, plane tickets bought.  I fly to Minneapolis on Wednesday, load up the rental truck and plan to hit the road Friday.  Shipped over some tire chains, just in case I need them at some point.  Don't see any storms on the radar, so I'm hoping for the best.

derailed

You should be fine on I90 all the way across, just keep an eye ahead on the weather conditions. Scope out the truck stop locations along the way which are usually right off the main highway, alot of them do have wifi you can check the weather on. One thing you may want to invest in also if you dont have one is a cheap 40 channel CB like a cobra and monitor 19. Bring some extra blankets and a cooler loaded with food and water. Good luck, put the tin in the wind and enjoy the trip.

OldGuy

Keep your eyes on the front of semi trucks coming from the opposite direction.  If the front ends are covered with snow - you know you will have issues coming up ahead. :yesnod:
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

grdprx

Howdy All, sitting in the Motel 6 in Missoula, Montana.  Made it here from Minneapolis in 2 days!  Roads have been clear and bare.  Sunny weather.   Good times.  Hope to be home in the Seattle area tomorrow.  Thanks for all the advice!  Helped be prepared quite a lot!

PocketThunder

grdprx

Home at 4:15 this afternoon!  Good times, really the perfect trip, considering.  Thanks again.