News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to bench test a radio

Started by Peters02, December 07, 2009, 12:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peters02

I have the radio out of my 72.  The car is no where near having any wiring in it, but found time to clean up the radio. 
Question - Anyone know of a way to bench test this thing?  Can I test this thing by hooking up a speaker, grounding it and directly linking it to a 12v battery or will that fry it?

Thanks
Peter

Bob

Quote from: Peters02 on December 07, 2009, 12:50:07 PM
I have the radio out of my 72.  The car is no where near having any wiring in it, but found time to clean up the radio. 
Question - Anyone know of a way to bench test this thing?  Can I test this thing by hooking up a speaker, grounding it and directly linking it to a 12v battery or will that fry it?

Thanks
Peter

I use a jump pack, hook the + and - wires up, run 2 wires for the speakers to a known good speaker, and plug in an old antenna. Works everytime.  :2thumbs:

Neal_J

To test radios, I've successfully used an old Radio Shack 12 volt power supply to run power to the hot lead, a ground to the chassis, two wires to a known good speaker (with the correct impedence), and an old antenna (which I've also grounded).   Works fine, as would a car batter in lieu of the power supply.

Peters02

Thanks guys.  I will give it a go this weekend.

Peter