News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So how mad would you be if your friend...........

Started by Ryan, December 07, 2009, 09:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Took your Charger around the block without latching the hood, and wind blows the hood up and bends the crap out of it?

Long story short my buddy has been holding on to my charger for me because I needed the garage space, now I had allways been a little nervous leaving the car there, however I trusted him. So the other day he tells me he took the car around the block and must have forgotten to latch the hood but there was no damage. I go and look at it and my band new AMD hood is trash, the hinge supports are completely trashed and the top of the hood bent.

So easy enough I tell him he needs to pay for the new hood and I'll take care of prep and pain wich I feel is more than fair in my mind. He says no he owes me nothing because the car was stored at his place for free and it was a freak accident (ya accident..... close the hood dude) and if he is going to help me with anything its going to be the labor (um....ya right, your not touching it)

How would you guys feel about this? I'm pissed! He never had permission to drive the damn thing.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

jaak

I think with you not giving him permission to drive it...he is totally responsible. I was just gonna say, if you had given him permission, there might not be much you can do (then noticed last line of your post). I would approach him again, if he still refuses, get your car, fix it yourself. If he doesnt even at least offer, to help you, he is not a friend, and I would cut off all ties with him.
Thats a life lesson I learned, folks who are your "friends" will f@ck you in a heartbeat when it comes to business/money.

Jason

69charger2002

go get your car, tell him he needs to pay for the damages, if not suck it up and either take him to court, or make him a MUCH lesser friend than before.. either way, go get your damn car NOW! you can keep it in my building for free if you keep insurance on it. i promise i won't drive it, i don't have time to drive my own!! lol    :2thumbs:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

FLG

Curious, how long has he held it for you??

As a friend he says "sure ill hold it", then because HE messed it up by taking it out WITHOUT permission, he does not need to pay because he stored it for free??  :shruggy:

Im sorry but it dont work like that in my book. He decided to let you store it for free, than he takes it out without permission and messes it up and now there are these "could have been" storage fees?? If he didnt take it out or latch the hood than it wouldnt have happend in the first place. What if he wrecked the car? "Oh i stored it for free so ill help you bring it to the scrap yard but thats it"

RD

i would say he is no friend.  he didnt have permission to drive the car.  all i know is, he would be lucky i didnt take his car, unlatch the hood, and drive the thing around the block and do the same thing... then.. you would be even.

move your car, remove him from your phone, and try not to beat the shiza out of him.  sorry, i hate your friend now.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

tan top

would be asking him to do the same , new hood & maybe hinges  :yesnod:
 i would pay for the hood etc if i done it ,  not trying to stir anything with your buddy , but  how many times did he take your charger out for a blast ! before the hood incident  :scratchchin: , in my mind  he should be paying for the hood & materials etc your time ,   only fair !!   what happened if he wrapped the front end round a light pole / tree  ! would he be saying the same thing  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Silver R/T

there's no fine line on liability once you leave YOUR car in someone else's possession. That's why I didn't let anyone put their car on my property, even some friends/relatives that asked about it. Things like that might happen, or their car gets damaged some other way. I wouldn't have money to pay for their car.
A true friend would make it good, not refuse to pay for his mistakes.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Well, one less "friend" you have to worry about. The guy sounds like a total idiot anyway so I'd gladly pay $1,000 to be rid of him if he were my friend. Get your car away from him and tell him to F.O. at minimum, and I wouldn't think twice about suing him either if you want to deal with that sort of hassle.

Akron_Charger

id kill him :flame: but really, why was the hood open in the first place? a true friend would bust his/her butt to at least apologize and pay for the damages. I would get that car out of there right away and cut him off and if he gives you trouble then I would press charges for vandalism. he had no permission to drive your car, let alone damage it! it was damaged on his property, hes responsible

Silver R/T

if it were to be damaged on his property then he could've just claimed it on his homeowners insurance but since he's been driving it insurance won't cover it. Unless you had full coverage on it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ryan

Car came home the same day I found out.

Its not so much I care about some driving the car, its more of the fact that if he would have totaled it my insurance would not have covered it because hr is not on my policy with Hagerty. Its just frustrating.  :flame: Even more so because he tried to use the "it was a freak accident that could have happened to anyone" Ya only if "anyone" would have taken my car and not latched the hood down!!!!

2014 viper TA

69bronzeT5

If he damaged it, he pays for it. Plain and simple. :Twocents: :flame:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

miller time

I would tow their truck, chop shop it and scrape it in a day or 2 and keep my car under lock ad key, but more then likly sue them, well 1 or the other. :flame:
Sorry that happend to you man!

FLG

Ryan

2014 viper TA

Ghoste

Doesn't sound like much of a friend to me.  I appreciate the car storage part but to mess the car up and not feel responsible?  I won't even mention taking it out without permission in the first place.

bull

I borrowed a friends Ford pickup and camper once to take a trip to Yellowstone. On the way there his transmission locked itself into third gear; a fact I quickly noticed while attempting to pull away from the first stop light in Idaho Falls. Although this failure did not result from any negligence on my part I still paid for half of the repair bill because I was borrowing it when it happened. A drive across town would have been different of course but I did have permission, and his blessing, to use his vehicle. That there is the main issue to me. You should not drive someone's car if you don't have permission, period. This friend of yours has zero character and I wouldn't want anything to do with him. You're lucky that's the only damage he did IMO.

myk

With people like friends, who needs enemies?

Sure, he agreed to do you a favor and that's great and all, but that doesn't give him the right to take your property and do as he pleases with it.  You're not going to get any compensation from this character, so just cut your losses and write him off permanently...

G-man

He agreed to store your car. There was no agreement in Him driving it. The fact he drove it without permission means he has no respect for you.

Go there, knock on door, if he opens, fist through head, leave letter of apology next to him for him to read when he wakes up, take car, and never do something that stupid again.

myk

Quote from: bull on December 07, 2009, 09:57:17 PM
I borrowed a friends Ford pickup and camper once to take a trip to Yellowstone. On the way there his transmission locked itself into third gear; a fact I quickly noticed while attempting to pull away from the first stop light in Idaho Falls. Although this failure did not result from any negligence on my part I still paid for half of the repair bill because I was borrowing it when it happened.

See now that's character.  This girl I was shagging suddenly needed a car so I lent her my '97Z for what was supposed to be two weeks.  Two weeks turned into two months and would've become more had the fuel pump not gone out on the car.  I had to drag the car back to my place and fix it myself because she felt that she wasn't obligated in any way to help me out, as the car already had 90K and the pump was probably on its last legs.  True, the fuel pump was probably on its way out but you'd think that by someone loaning you a vehicle the least you could do was TRY to help.

I tell ya, there's just no honor anymore...

G-man

Quote from: myk on December 07, 2009, 10:04:11 PM
Quote from: bull on December 07, 2009, 09:57:17 PM
I borrowed a friends Ford pickup and camper once to take a trip to Yellowstone. On the way there his transmission locked itself into third gear; a fact I quickly noticed while attempting to pull away from the first stop light in Idaho Falls. Although this failure did not result from any negligence on my part I still paid for half of the repair bill because I was borrowing it when it happened.

See now that's character.  This girl I was shagging suddenly needed a car so I lent her my '97Z for what was supposed to be two weeks.  Two weeks turned into two months and would've become more had the fuel pump not gone out on the car.  I had to drag the car back to my place and fix it myself because she felt that she wasn't obligated in any way to help me out, as the car already had 90K and the pump was probably on its last legs.  True, the fuel pump was probably on its way out but you'd think that by someone loaning you a vehicle the least you could do was TRY to help.

I tell ya, there's just no honor anymore...

Given that story I think you got more than your fair share of pump.  :D

Sabre

He doesn't sound like much of a friend.  He IS responsible, he should pay.

gers1968rt

He said he was storing it for free? He was storing it for the privilege of joy riding in it when he wanted. He got busted because he's an idiot and didn't latch the hood. He owes you but, he has contempt for you and you'll never get money from him. Don't speak to him and maybe when he realizes he lost a friend, he might come around.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

General_01

To answer your initial question.....I would be totally pissed. I would have asked him what the hell he thought he was doing and then told him I am taking the car today and I will be back with the bill. You can either pay for it with your wallet or your a$$. I agree with whoever said it up top. The fact that he took it without permission shows he has no respect for you or your property. Get rid of this dirtbag and chalk it up to a hard lesson learned.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

myk

Quote from: G-man on December 07, 2009, 10:08:14 PM

Given that story I think you got more than your fair share of pump.  :D

Sigh, you know what I tried to look at it that way but...

A girl giving it up is one thing.  But a man lending out one of his machines, that's not something to take lightly, lol...