News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So how mad would you be if your friend...........

Started by Ryan, December 07, 2009, 09:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

I agree with the rest of the guys. Try to get your money back, if you cant just write him off.

If anyone has seen "A Bronx Tale"

"Look at it this way, it cost you twenty dollars to get rid of him. Right? He's never gonna bother you again. He's never gonna ask you for money again. He's out of your life for 20 dollars. You got off cheap. Forget about it."

Cooter

All I can offer you is my opinion, take it for what you paid for it.....

First off, You boy there needs his ass whooped....Second, YOU are just as much at fault as he is...Personally, I would NEVER leave one of my cars at a "Buddy's" house....Freak accident? Bullsh*t! It was only an accident cause he took it up the road. THAT is what he's NOT understanding....Murphy's Law, if something CAN go wrong, you can be double damn sure it WILL....Too many variables in "Buddy's" for me to leave the car as I know my buddies and this is something they would do in a heartbeat. All you need to do is have a "Freak accident" with one of his cars and ya'll are even...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

aussiemuscle

how many times did he take it out before getting caught? i'll bet you wish you didn't leave the keys.  :-\

FLG

Quote from: Cooter on December 07, 2009, 10:24:22 PM

First off, You boy there needs his ass whooped....Second, YOU are just as much at fault as he is...Personally, I would NEVER leave one of my cars at a "Buddy's" house....Freak accident? Bullsh*t! It was only an accident cause he took it up the road. THAT is what he's NOT understanding....Murphy's Law, if something CAN gop wrong, you can be double damn sure it WILL....Too many variables in "Buddy's" for me to leave the car as I know my buddies and this is something they would do in a heartbeat. All you need to do is have a "Freak accident" with one of his cars and ya'll are even...

Cooter, how can he be at fault if he never gave his friend permission to drive the car?

Cooter

He left it there in the first place.....If you reach into a snake pit, don't get mad when you get bit.....IT's hard to say, but the truth usually is...

His boy even mentions "Free storage" like that's a license to drive his car or something...I've NEVER had any problems at the local self storage with anybody driving my car...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

General_01

Quote from: FLG on December 07, 2009, 10:27:17 PM
Quote from: Cooter on December 07, 2009, 10:24:22 PM

First off, You boy there needs his ass whooped....Second, YOU are just as much at fault as he is...Personally, I would NEVER leave one of my cars at a "Buddy's" house....Freak accident? Bullsh*t! It was only an accident cause he took it up the road. THAT is what he's NOT understanding....Murphy's Law, if something CAN gop wrong, you can be double damn sure it WILL....Too many variables in "Buddy's" for me to leave the car as I know my buddies and this is something they would do in a heartbeat. All you need to do is have a "Freak accident" with one of his cars and ya'll are even...

Cooter, how can he be at fault if he never gave his friend permission to drive the car?

Sounds like his "friends" don't respect him or his property either.

I have left my car at my parents house, at my cousins place and various other places and nobody has ever taken my car without permission. If you let people walk all over you, they will. Plus, they know I am an a$$hole and will wreck their crap worse than they did mine. :D
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Ryan

In all fairness to him he didnt drive the car a bunch of times...... well unless he knww how to disconnect my speedo. Car had 80ish miles when I droped it off, picked it up with 84 on the freshly restored cluster. If he was driving it, it literally went around the block. I just wish he would understand what he did, and what he damaged...... I mean hell, borrow my acura and dent that, or play with my 700HP zo6, but dont take out my pride and joy that I built from the ground up and forget to latch the damn hood :icon_smile_dissapprove:
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

suntech

I dont understand the heading on the post.....you call him a friend!!!!
We are a buch of FRIENDS that has a really layed back way of seeing this. We use a lot of each other stuff, and i am not talking about lawnmowers and shit, i am talking about 50- 100 K pleasureboats, cars, like my dually and charger, a De Tomaso Panthera, dumpster truck, etc....you know....expansive stuff. If anybody brakes something, it would be fiksed PROPERLY before we even would know it was broken in the first place.  :2thumbs: Just a little phonecall with : Hey, i had this little mishappening with your xxxx yesterday, i ordered xxxx, and it is spotless again then!! sorry!!!

That is how friends are doing it!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

General_01

Quote from: Ryan on December 07, 2009, 10:33:11 PM
In all fairness to him he didnt drive the car a bunch of times...... well unless he knww how to disconnect my speedo. Car had 80ish miles when I droped it off, picked it up with 84 on the freshly restored cluster. If he was driving it, it literally went around the block. I just wish he would understand what he did, and what he damaged...... I mean hell, borrow my acura and dent that, or play with my 700HP zo6, but dont take out my pride and joy that I built from the ground up and forget to latch the damn hood :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Here is the issue. Don't get mad, but read your responses. "he didn't drive it that much......take my acura.......take my 700hp z06..etc." Number one, I don't care if I drive a rusty old 1980 Caprice Classic. It is mine, don't drive it unless you ask me and I say yes. This guy does not respect you. Period. If you want to keep him as a friend, that is your business, but he isn't going to change unless you show him you don't need to put up with this kind of crap from anyone. 
496 stroker
4-speed

myk

Suntech, I'm glad that there're people like you and your friends that take care of one another.  I on the other hand, would prefer to just keep my debt/credit balance with friends at a nice zero.  When property and money gets involved with friends and family things tend to get complicated...

Ryan

Quote from: General_01 on December 07, 2009, 10:43:20 PM
Quote from: Ryan on December 07, 2009, 10:33:11 PM

Here is the issue. Don't get mad, but read your responses. "he didn't drive it that much......take my acura.......take my 700hp z06..etc." Number one, I don't care if I drive a rusty old 1980 Caprice Classic. It is mine, don't drive it unless you ask me and I say yes. This guy does not respect you. Period. If you want to keep him as a friend, that is your business, but he isn't going to change unless you show him you don't need to put up with this kind of crap from anyone. 

I agree with you completley, I was just saying that if you have to mess with my property do it to anything but the charger.

2014 viper TA

Silver R/T

Quote from: myk on December 07, 2009, 10:04:11 PM
Quote from: bull on December 07, 2009, 09:57:17 PM
I borrowed a friends Ford pickup and camper once to take a trip to Yellowstone. On the way there his transmission locked itself into third gear; a fact I quickly noticed while attempting to pull away from the first stop light in Idaho Falls. Although this failure did not result from any negligence on my part I still paid for half of the repair bill because I was borrowing it when it happened.

See now that's character.  This girl I was shagging suddenly needed a car so I lent her my '97Z for what was supposed to be two weeks.  Two weeks turned into two months and would've become more had the fuel pump not gone out on the car.  I had to drag the car back to my place and fix it myself because she felt that she wasn't obligated in any way to help me out, as the car already had 90K and the pump was probably on its last legs.  True, the fuel pump was probably on its way out but you'd think that by someone loaning you a vehicle the least you could do was TRY to help.

I tell ya, there's just no honor anymore...

but you were getting something out of it right :)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

472 R/T SE

I would guess it depends if you want to continue having a friendship with this feller.

If it doesn't matter, figure out the going rate for 9-10 months of storage & subtract that from the labor to R & R the hoods, plus the cost of another hood.  Either deliver the bill by hand or registered mail with a date of expected payment.

If he declines or you don't hear from him, take him to small claims court.

Doesn't full coverage cover whatever you're driving?

Ryan

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 07, 2009, 10:47:24 PM

Doesn't full coverage cover whatever you're driving?

Not exactly, the specialty classic insurance is very picky with what gets covered. I suppose I could just lie and say I was cruising and my hood flew up but that isn't very honest. Plus I think my deductible is like a grand

2014 viper TA

General_01

He is saying your buddies insurance should cover anything he is driving if he has full coverage auto insurance.
496 stroker
4-speed

myk

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 07, 2009, 10:46:24 PM

Lol true, but as I said earlier in my opinion a girl giving herself up to a guy doesn't equal to a guy lending out one of his machines.  Call me a misogynist, sexist, or just a general jerk, but a girl giving herself to me isn't as valuable to me as an OEM Delphi fuel pump.  I dunno, I didn't think that far into the situation.  I've done this before with other people and it was never an issue.  Live and learn, I guess.  I won't ever do it again.  Not even for you, Scarlett Johansson lol...

stripedelete

10 months free storage?   If you are not going to be driving it for a while, don't fix the hood - that will fix the joy rides.  Make him feel guilty and suck another couple of years of free storage.

G-man

Quote from: myk on December 07, 2009, 10:55:38 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on December 07, 2009, 10:46:24 PM

Lol true, but as I said earlier in my opinion a girl giving herself up to a guy doesn't equal to a guy lending out one of his machines.  Call me a misogynist, sexist, or just a general jerk, but a girl giving herself to me isn't as valuable to me as an OEM Delphi fuel pump.  I dunno, I didn't think that far into the situation.  I've done this before with other people and it was never an issue.  Live and learn, I guess.  I won't ever do it again.  Not even for you, Scarlett Johansson lol...

Go without it for a while and you will start seeing things from a different perspective. When you start jumping your fuel pump or exhaust pipe then you will reconsider.

:smilielol:

myk

Quote from: G-man on December 07, 2009, 10:57:25 PM

Go without it for a while and you will start seeing things from a different perspective. When you start jumping your fuel pump or exhaust pipe then you will reconsider.

:smilielol:

Hmmm...Weeeee're not going to go there lol...

suntech

QuoteSuntech, I'm glad that there're people like you and your friends that take care of one another.  I on the other hand, would prefer to just keep my debt/credit balance with friends at a nice zero.  When property and money gets involved with friends and family things tend to get complicated...

I know exactly what you mean, but we feel that we keep it in balance between us :2thumbs: Ofcause this can not be done with all friends, but the bunch i am talking about here goes way back, almost since we were kids, and we have done like this for 20 + years, with NO problems. It is all about respect for eachother and their belongings.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

oldcarnut

Quote from: General_01 on December 07, 2009, 10:51:58 PM
He is saying your buddies insurance should cover anything he is driving if he has full coverage auto insurance.

Has he asked his car insurance about it?  My insurance would cover damage I did to someones car if I was driving it as long as I had permission.  Seems like if that " without permission" doesn't get back to his company it would be good after the deductable.  Good luck with it and sorry to hear about the friendship going sour.

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Steelshanks

:slap:
:brickwall:
:'(

Storing it for 9 months = "its ok that I trashed your hood because I didn't latch it down correctly before taking it out when I shouldn't have been driving it anyway..."

:shruggy:

He made a mistake and broke something. NOT a freak accident. If he wasn't bending over backwards trying to fix his mistake you will probably be hard pressed to get anything outta him. The second conversation is going to go MUCH worse then the first since he has now had more time to convince himself that it was your cars fault / natures fault / anyones fault but his own. Did he even understand that he didn't lock the hood down correctly? Sounds like he just thinks the latch failed.

I don't really see why he needed the keys if you were storing it anyhow.

At anyrate, like most others said just fix it and write that douche bag off. He isn't a friend considering he busted up your car and refuses to do anything other then lend a hand re-installing a replacement.
Confucius say: "Man who stand on toilet high on pot..."

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

myk

It didn't even register with me that he offered to install the replacement.  Gee thanks, lol....

resq302

Ryan,

I have Haggerty insurance also.  Unless things have changed or you have a different policy they have a zero deductable.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto