News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Very, very nice John!
Getting dinged for dust is just plain silly - like the plants and Creative were Clean Rooms or something.
Wow - you got your cerificate a lot quicker than I did - they must be improving.
I have a few NOS single point caps if you need one.

There is no doubt in my mind that horn relay put you over the top!   :lol:

Nice job - Congrats.

Mopar John

Jim,
Thanks for the kind comments! Yes, that NOS horn relay did help and is a very visable part under the hood! I did make some improvements over the Mopar Nationals. I did get some areas cleaned up that I got dinged for there. I spent a lot of time working on all the wheel wells and cleaning Alabama and Louisville road grime! I also did some improvements on the air cleaner. For some reason I did not get one of those "DO NOT WASH OR OIL" decals on the air cleaner? I bought an NOS one and had it on for this show. I got a picture of an original decal from another member. I will attach a picture of the original and a before and after of mine. There was another problem with the air cleaner at the Mopar Nationals. The reproduction hood pad by REM must be a little thicker than the original or not molded the same? When the hood is closed and the engine running it scuffed my NOS air cleaner pie tin !@#$%^&*! So I bought another one and only put it on when it is at a show with the hood up! I don't know if you can make out the scuff marks of the tin in the pictures?
Mopar John

Mopar John

MORE ON THE MUSCLE CAR NATIONALS!
Sunday morning I was speaking with fellow Daytona owners John and Alice Rizek when Linda informed me a guy had been waiting to speak with me? I excused myself from John and Alice and went over to talk with this fella. He informed me that there was a magazine for sale in the swap area that I might be interested in? So we walked over there and he dug it out for me. The magazine was the November 1969 issue of CAR LIFE. He opened it up to the article he wanted to show me. It is black and white but when you do the math it is a good chance that my Daytona might be the one in the article? First off a non Hemi Daytona. Next a medium color non SE with white wing and white sidewall tires with the same wheel covers? Could be? After I decided to buy the magazine we spoke for some time and I found out that I was speaking with Cal Anderson. Yes that Cal Anderson who owned the T5 Daytona for 27 years that was out in the lobby of the show and recently changed hands again! He was floored when I told him that I had one of his NOS driveshafts in our Daytona! I bought it from R/TSE4SPEED who bought it from Cal years ago! We spoke about Daytonas for quite a while and I was glad I met him and that he took the time to show me the article! I was in that booth the day before and bought an original 1969 Charger dealer brochure. Most brochures are of the full line and I had been looking for the Charger only one! Sometimes it pays to go to a non Mopar only show! I have attached photos of the magazine with the Daytona article and the Charger brochure!

Mopar John

ANOTHER MUSCLE CAR NATIONALS FIND!
While walking the swap meet Sunday afternoon I came across a table with old "DODGE NEWS MAGAZINE" on the table? There were about six of them. So I started looking through them and I found two with Daytona articles! The first issue was dated August 1969 and had a Daytona feature in the Performance report! The second issue was dated December 1969 and had a Daytona article from Scat City! I have attached some pictures of these also! Like I said in the last post it was good to go through a swap at a non Mopar only show! ENJOY!

Mopar John

GREAT HOBBIEST AWARD!!
I am giving this to Jim ( MAXWELLWEDGE ) on this site! He read about my distributor cap during my engine compartment story. He sent me a PM and within a couple of days he had another crack free NOS distributor cap at my door step! I have attached a picture of the box and new NOS cap! This cap is already on the Daytona and I will use the replacement cap as a spare! THANKS JIM! :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Cool! Whats the trophy look like?     ;D

Glad to help John - You and everyone else on this site are all good people (Even Stuart who keeps threating to move in and drink all my beer) and I like to help whenever I can.

Others (Geno) have helped me so I am paying it forward!

Use it in good health!

Jim

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 08, 2010, 12:14:12 PM

Glad to help John - You and everyone else on this site are all good people (Even Stuart who keeps threating to move in and drink all my beer) and I like to help whenever I can.

Use it in good health!

Jim
for the record i dont want your beer just your cars DAD !!!!
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

Hey Jim how different are the old Accel caps from factory?  I found a couple of them here, and they're plain on top like the one shown. 

maxwellwedge

Quote from: pettybird on December 08, 2010, 04:50:34 PM
Hey Jim how different are the old Accel caps from factory?  I found a couple of them here, and they're plain on top like the one shown. 

They are not 100% but they are the best 2nd choice.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 08, 2010, 12:14:12 PM

Use it in good health!

Jim
Jim,
The trophy from the Muscle Car Nationals was a very nice one made out of crystal! I have attached a picture of it for you. The awards ceremony was very well organized! They read about 10-12 awards at a time and when you went up for your trophy you also were presented a large window type envelope. Inside was an official certificate along with a copy of your judging sheets! You knew right then and there how the judges scored your car and what points were deducted for! I have also attached a copy of our certificate.

Mopar John

FINALLY MORE ON THE RESTORATION!
I have been so busy with remodeling and the shows I havn't had time to wotk on this story. Next up was the nosecone! I have attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure! The first is the painted nosecone with the headlight holders installed! I had about 25 of these and we picked the ones with the freshest looking galvanizing!
The next picture is of the original General Electric 1969 date coded headlights. I have found a few more high beams but the low/high are rare! The next picture is a close up of the back of an original 1969 headlight. You can see the SAE69 printed on the headlight! CAUTION! If you should be lucky enough to find any of these the ink has turned to powder!!! I wiped one off and the date code went with it@#$%^(! The last picture is of the NOS headlight rings. I had 2 at the time of restoration and 2 very nice used. The other 2 were replaced with NOS just before the Mopar Nationals! ENJOY!

Mopar John

MORE ON THE NOSECONE ASSEMBLY!
The next items to go in were the NOS grille screen and frame! I was lucky to find these from Doug aero426 when he was selling extra parts off! I have attached a picture of them installed. Then it was time to install the parking lights! I thought I was going to have to settle for NOS lenses but Chet Greenwood had a NOS parklamp assembly for sale. He also was able to find a mate! WOW! I have a picture of the NOS assemblies and then another close up of the grille with them installed! The last picture is from the back after all the above parts were installed! ENJOY!

69rtse4spd

Hi John, how is Cal, I have not talked to him for so long. When I first read his name I thought, it might be him & was surprised when it was. Is he still working at the Dodge dealer, think I lost his number a while ago. I do have some headlights out of a 21,000 mile 69 GTX in the shop. Can look on the back to see if the numbers are still their, if you are interested. Great job on the car & the trophy is beautiful.  :2thumbs:. Anyhow you & Linda have a Merry Christmas & a happy & safe New Year.

Mopar John

Jeff,
Cal is well and doing fine! We talked so much about the Daytonas at the show we never got to the employment thing. Thanks on the Daytona and trophy! You and your family have a great holiday season! I think we are lucky as we both still have our jobs. When you get a chance take a look at the headlights and let me know what you find! Remember not to wipe the dust off@#%^&*)!!
John

Mopar John

A FEW MORE DETAILS ON THE NOSECONE ASSEMBLY!
When I was checking all the electrical items out I discovered that the original parklamp bulbs were painted orange and not orange colored glass! The NOS parklamp bulbs were this way also! I was able to buy a couple extra originals off Moparts recently. These are very noticable when the lights are on! Next up is the front license plate bracket. I was lucky to have one of the originals! I have a picture of it before restoration. The next picture is of the bracket bead blasted. The third picture is of it primered and ready for paint! I don't have a seperate picture of it painted and hope it's in one of the finished trunk shots? The last picture is the most important! This is a detail that is often missed or not done correctly. That is the mounting studs in the nosecone for the license plate bracket. Most reproduction nosecones do not have these! In addition many quick repair jobs just welded these holes shut! I think these studs are the same ones used to attach the front spoiler!

Mopar John

Here is a better picture of the nosecone license plate bracket mounting studs!

hemigeno

Quote from: Mopar John on December 10, 2010, 11:46:54 AM
When I was checking all the electrical items out I discovered that the original parklamp bulbs were painted orange and not orange colored glass! The NOS parklamp bulbs were this way also! I was able to buy a couple extra originals off Moparts recently. These are very noticable when the lights are on!

Creative's workers were "supposed" to change out the 9419780 (1157A) amber bulbs rated at 12.8V inside the turn signal housings for 9423295 bulbs (117NA) rated at 14V -- "This substitution required to meet P.F. Federal Lighting requirements".  My new turn signal assemblies had the 9419780 1157A standard bulbs that were used for the '69 Valiant.  Between those two bulbs, I doubt it makes much difference either way since both are rated at 32 candlepower.

Mopar John

Geno,
Good to hear from you! Do you know if the differance between 1157A and 117NA is the painted vs the orange bulb glass that I mentioned? It would seem to me that the orange glass would give off more light. I am curious now and will have to check the parklamps in the R4 Daytona and see if those are original and if they were swapped out? I doubt if the Creative guys took the time to change many bulbs out!
Thanks!

hemigeno

I read today that the "NA" suffix means "Natural Amber", and I have seen other bulbs with that same NA suffix which were amber glass (i.e. not painted).  What the difference between Natural Amber and just plain-old Amber is beyond me.

It'd be my guess that the painted bulbs you found are modern replacement bulbs (and sorry excuses for replacements, at that).  Probably cheaper for the workers in Taiwuzbekadesh to apply paint than tool up to make amber glass.

Whether Creative's guys took the time to follow Chrysler's conversion instructions is an interesting question.  They may have been more inclined to follow the bulb replacement instruction, since a Federal Safety Standard was involved.  The same set of instructions also says that the headlight wiring harness (not the hoses, just the cloth-wrapped wiring harness itself) was supposed to be routed through the battery cooling hole rather than going up-and-over the radiator yoke with the vacuum lines.  We know how most cars' wiring was routed - the easy way right alongside the vacuum lines.  However, a couple of early-converted cars I've seen do have the harness routed through that hole like it was "supposed" to be done.  There is actually a slotted hole present on the air seal which covers the battery cooling hole for the express purpose of allowing the wire to pass through - it just didn't get used very often.

maxwellwedge

1157NA - Natural Amber were more money than the painted lamps (1157A). I used to sell them in 10,000 lots back in the late 70's.....It was a cost issue - some wanted to offer the cheaper lamp in addition to the Natural Amber glass lamps.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69rtse4spd