News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6bblgt

Excellent thread - Great pictures & story!!  Nice to meet you & Linda at the Nat's and CONGRATS on the OE Gold!!  :2thumbs:

Dan

Mopar John

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 09, 2010, 04:17:35 PM
Excellent thread - Great pictures & story!!  Nice to meet you & Linda at the Nat's and CONGRATS on the OE Gold!!  :2thumbs:

Dan
Dan,
It was great to meet up with you at the Nat's! We hope you achive your dream as we did!

Speaking of the Nat's, John from FIVE STAR PRODUCTIONS made an awesome 2010 SHOW CARS video there! The first 41 minutes is coverage of our B5 Daytona! If you have liked this thread this video covers the entire Daytona up on the lift, down on the ground, inside and out! John's website is: www.fivestarcarvidoes.com .
Thanks! John

Mopar John

MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND!
There were several surprises at this years Monster Mopar Weekend! I didn't plan on going due to a conflict with my racing. Then I get a call from Troy Angelly and he asked if he could display our Daytona at the show? We agreed and Troy took our Daytona and Paul Jacobs took the 1970 panther pink Superbee he just finished. So for those that didn't get to see it at Talladega or the Nat's hopefully you had a chance to check it out in the ANGELLY/JACOBS display!

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on September 14, 2010, 03:21:00 PM
                                               MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND!
There were several surprises at this years Monster Mopar Weekend! I didn't plan on going due to a conflict with my racing. Then I get a call from Troy Angelly and he asked if he could display our Daytona at the show? We agreed and Troy took our Daytona and Paul Jacobs took the 1970 panther pink Superbee he just finished. So for those that didn't get to see it at Talladega or the Nat's hopefully you had a chance to check it out in the ANGELLY/JACOBS display!
they both were stunning   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

Quote from: moparstuart on September 14, 2010, 03:25:18 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on September 14, 2010, 03:21:00 PM
                                               MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND!
they both were stunning   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
THANKS STUART!

Mopar John

TRANSMISSION DETAILS!
In an earlier post on the transmission I showed pictures with the factory paint markings. In this batch of pictures I will show how Troy duplicated them after the transmission case and tailshaft were restored. The first picture is of the green paint daub on the transmission case. The second picture is of the red number 130 on the tailshaft. In the second picture you can also see the restored crossmember! The third picture is of the NOS transmission pan ready to go on. The last picture shows the NOS transmission pan installed!  

Mopar John

FINAL ASSEMBLY PREP WORK!
This batch of pictures show more final assembly prep work going on! The first two pictures are of the latch tray. The last two pictures are a couple of the 4-28-69 date code correct wheels!

Mopar John

WING AND DAYTONA DECALS!
Until the nose wing and Daytona decals go on it just looks like a 1969 Charger! This batch of pictures will show the wing being prepped for paint. The first picture is of the wing center bare. The second picture is of wing center primered. The third picture is of the wing uprights being prepped. The last picture is a closeup of the wing uprights.

Mopar John

WING AND DAYTONA DECALS PART 2!
This batch of pictures shows the Daytona decals being applied! The first picture is of the trunk decal. The second picture is of the passengers quarter decal going on. The third picture is of the drivers quarter decal going on. The
last picture is of the drivers quarter decal installed! WOW! Now it's a DAYTONA!!

Mopar John

WING AND DAYTONA DECALS FINAL!
This batch of pictures show the Daytona during my October 2009 visit! You see that the wing decals are on. The wing is painted and hanging in the next room. You can see the uprights in one of the pictures. At this time the reproduction F70 X 14 tires were mounted on the freshly painted wheels. These were replaced later by 3 NOS tires and 2 correct date code low milage original tires. The Daytona is down on the ground and coming together! ENJOY!

Aero426

That explains the strange guy I saw behind the wheel last Saturday.     :smilielol:

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on September 14, 2010, 06:29:02 PM
That explains the strange guy I saw behind the wheel last Saturday.     :smilielol:

I thought John said he didn't go  :nana:

Mopar John

I heard that Ramo Stott said that some strange guy was behind the wheel of his Superbird also!  :yesnod:

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on September 14, 2010, 09:35:11 PM
I heard that Ramo Stott said that some strange guy was behind the wheel of his Superbird also!  :yesnod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x999YWHNOF8

here he is  :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

John....... Nice pictures............. The car looked ( as it still does ) great.............   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 15, 2010, 12:51:16 PM
John....... Nice pictures............. The car looked ( as it still does ) great.............   :2thumbs:
Thanks Troy!
   More assembly pictures to follow!

Mopar John

REAR BUMPER!
I looked at a couple of NOS rear bumpers and decided to have the original replated! The NOS ones didn't look so good after 40 years of storage! Here are a couple of pictures of the backside with the restored bumper brackets ready to go on the Daytona body!

Mopar John

GAS CAP!
I found an NOS flip top gas cap pretty easy! The same guy made me a deal on the optional lock for under the cap. I thought this would be good insurance! I had a real hard time finding an NOS ring for the gas cap. Again Paul Jacobs came to the rescue with one from his private stash of NOS parts! Thanks Paul!

Mopar John

CORE SUPPORT!
With the engine installed it was time to paint the core support black. Then Troy installed the freshly recored original date coded radiator and NOS shroud. I want to let you know that it was very difficult to find a correct core with the right fin count!

Mopar John

STEERING COLUMN!
Troy restored the steering column in house and it turned out great. I was able to find an NOS shift lever, turn signal lever, shift indicator assembly and a Dodge emblem for the center of the horn pad! That's it for now!

randr

I'm Bored! what to do next......

Mopar John

NHRA DIVISION 3 ET FINALS!
 It has been several years since I qualified for the NHRA DIVISION 3 ET FINALS in INDY. The finals are run on the same track as the famed US NATIONALS just a couple of weeks later! I have attached a picture of my 1st finals back in 1998. The GTX was sporting my old CRAGAR mags and steel rear wheels. Being a Dodge Charger. Com member I was on the lookout for any Dodge Chargers participating in the finals! Would you believe not one Dodge Charger! They must all  be being restored or something? The closest I could find was a nice 1969 yellow Superbee. There were quite a few Mopars and I took a liking to MOY'S TOY! There is a picture of that car and one of our 1970 GTX with the team "O" for Osceola stickers on it in the pits!

Mopar John

NHRA DIVISION 3 ET FINALS PART 2!
The way the finals work is you compete as teams. So the guys you have been racing against all year are now your team mates! I have attached a couple of pictures of team OSCEOLA in the stands. Some of the ladies decorated and we were there rooting on our racers! We had two time trials on Friday and one on Saturday morning. That is where my weekend went bad! When I let go of the transbrake on the last time run the GTX didn't rev up like normal and had a bad vibration at high rpm @#$%^&*()! The GTX ran about a second slow in the eigth mile. I was done for the weekend. Word spread and I got a couple of guys to listen close to the motor when I got it started. They felt it was a miss more than a terminal bottom end problem. I pulled the plugs and number 8 was wet? I then pulled the passengers side valve cover and found the number 8 intake rocker arm broken #$%^(%^!
A fellow team member had an extra and I pulled the shaft and had the rocker installed and then we realised that the cup for the pushrod was missing from that lifter! After inspecting the engine valley we felt it must have gotten washed down to the oilpan? So it was a great team effort but I wasn't able to run. I have attached a picture of the engine with the broken rocker arm and one of the GTX in action on Friday! ENJOY!

Dave Kanofsky

Sorry to hear about your broken parts, hopefully no further damage was done!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Mopar John

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on September 20, 2010, 11:32:24 AM
Sorry to hear about your broken parts, hopefully no further damage was done!
Thanks Dave!
  I am glad it was my last event of the year with the GTX! We are going to pull the intake and that head and check everything out before we install new rocker arms and fire it up!