News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 4!
This batch of pictures is more restored parts being assembled! The first picture is of the K member assembly to this point! The second picture is of the K member with right strut rod and right lower control arm. The third picture is of the left original lower ball joint. The last picture is of the right original spindle and the very nice backing plate we found!

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 5!
More reassembly of restored suspension parts! The first picture is of the left original spindle and another nice backing plate we found. During this process we found out that there are variations in the opening for the wheel cylinder. Some are oval as on the Daytona and some are rectangular! We did find a nice original type replacement for the left side also! The second picture is of the right spindle and backing plate attached to the assembly. The third picture is of the left spindle and backing plate attached to the assembly also. The last picture is of the entire front suspension assembly at this point!

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION FINAL!
This is the last batch of pictures on the front suspension! If I show you any more it will include the finshed engine! I don't want to do that until you see the engine before and after pictures. The first picture in this batch is of the NOS front brakes going on. The second picture is another of the front brakes and also shows the STEER & GEAR restored power steering gear box. The guys at STEER & GEAR replaced my original factory broken off grease zurk with a new one @#%^*()! I did find another original in my stash and replaced it. The last two pictures show the front suspension all restored and reassembled with the gear box and tie rod! WOW!! ENJOY!

Mopar John

DAY 1!
To borrow a term from the late Michael Jackson " THIS IS IT! ". Today was a whirlwind around here! I started my day off by sanding and applying a coat of polyurethane to our front door. That will dry while were gone and I'll seal it next week. Then I cleaned up around the yard from a recent home remodeling project. I took a break and posted about the Daytona's front suspension. After lunch I unloaded the race car and all the support items and then loaded up for the Mopar Nationals! After supper Linda says wern't you going to mow the lawn before we leave?
@#$%^&*()@#$%^&*(!! Guess what? I'll mow when we get back! For those of you going to the Nats stop by and say HI and see the Daytona!
Mopar John

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Mopar John on August 10, 2010, 07:12:23 PM
                                                            DAY 1!
To borrow a term from the late Michael Jackson " THIS IS IT! ". Today was a whirlwind around here! I started my day off by sanding and applying a coat of polyurethane to our front door. That will dry while were gone and I'll seal it next week. Then I cleaned up around the yard from a recent home remodeling project. I took a break and posted about the Daytona's front suspension. After lunch I unloaded the race car and all the support items and then loaded up for the Mopar Nationals! After supper Linda says wern't you going to mow the lawn before we leave?
@#$%^&*()@#$%^&*(!! Guess what? I'll mow when we get back! For those of you going to the Nats stop by and say HI and see the Daytona!
Mopar John

Looking forward to meeting you John and checking out the Daytona. Have a safe trip.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mopar John

BORZYCH DAYTONA SCORES OEM GOLD!
Late breaking news from the Mopar Nationals Columbus, Ohio! Today at 3pm the winners were announced at the Mopar Nationals! Linda and I won OEM GOLD with our 1969 Daytona!!!!@#$%^&*(()_+! WOW!! Mission accomplished! There were five cars entered in the OEM class a 1963 MAX WEDGE DODGE, A 1979 CHRYSLER 300, A 1970 CUDA, A 1970 4 door PLYMOUTH VALIANT and our 1969 DAYTONA! This was quite a spread of cars! The VALIANT, 300 and our DAYTONA scored gold and the MAX WEDGE and CUDA scored silver. One car out of the three gold winners will be selected for best of show tommorrow! I would like to thank my wife Linda for her support on this project! I would also like to thank my children Michelle, Michael and Matthew for putting up with me and my wing cars all their lives! I would also like to thank TROY ANGELLY RESTORATIONS for the killer work and attention to detail! Next up would be Paul Jacbos who often partners with Troy for all the NOS parts and consultations on what was correct. Also thanks go to all the people who helped with parts, kind words and motivation many from this forum! I am very lucky and would like to dedicate this win to all the people that never get a chance may it be health issues, divorce, job loss etc. I will have to go now and let the other guests at the motel share this computor! :yesnod:
Mopar John

Brock Samson

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

johntpr

jonw29

John Congratulaions.It was worth all of the hard work that went into it.Good Job.JW

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69*F5*SE

Aero426

Dave Kanofsky

CONGRAT'S!!!

Great to see all of your efforts be rewarded.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

pettybird

69rtse4spd

Way to go John & Linda, :2thumbs:, and you are most welcome, glad we all could help out in are small ways. 

Mopar John

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE POSITIVE COMMENTS!!

Mopar John

MOPAR NATIONALS 2010!!
Linda and I slept in this morning after our long and excitiing weekend! I finally got that grass mowed! I think a couple of the local farmers we disappointed that they couldn't bale it! While I was mowing Linda left to run some errands in her SHELBT GT500! I think all the car stuff over the weekend got her fired up to drive HER muscle car!
  We left our home a little after 3am on Wednesday so we could be down to Troy Angelly's shop at 9am. We arrived a little late at 9:15am due to some road construction. Troy was just about ready with his motorhome and trailer. He was hauling a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 six pack convertable 1 of 1 EXPORT car to the show! We went over final details of the Daytona and then loaded all the take off parts and our B5 Daytona for the trip to the Nats. We left Troy's shop around 10:30am. We followed Troy on a local shortcut to interstate I-64 then headed east toward Louisville. Just before Louisville Linda called Troy to let him know we were getting off for Gas and some lunch. They continued on ahead. We filled up and ate and were off again! All was going well until it started to rain real bad about an hour south of Cincinati, Ohio. Traffic was down to 30 miles per hour at times and it seemed like everyone wanted to fill the safty space I was leaving aheahd of me in case everything came to a sudden stop @#%^&*((! We moved on and just south of Cincinati everything came to a stop? We sat for about two hours@#$%^&*()!!!! I could see a bridge ahead and I saw two state trucks with snowplows go north on a south bound exit ramp? Then there was a firetruck and a TV truck?? There must have been something real bad happen in that rain! When we started moving we came upon an accident scene and there was a semi jack knifed into the guardrail on the sothbound side and a mid size red Chevy that had the drivers half of the car ground off! There was a 500 foot long debris field of red parts near the semi! WOW! Shortly after passing the accident scene we stopped at a rest area for obvious reasons. A truck driver who was near the accident told us that the red car either lost control in the rain or swirved to the median to miss a stopped or slow car in front of them. The car then took off across the median and ran right into the cab of that jack knifed semi!! The crash was violent and ripped off the drivers side of the car and the impact threw it back across the median almost back into the northbound lane where it had started out! Sadly two people in that red Chevy lost their lives! Later we found out that Troy Angelly and his family were not too far behind the crash and when they passed by there were two body bags next to the red Chevy! SAD! Linda and I continued on and stopped for gas not too far from our motel. We had planned to go to our favorite retaurant in Columbus the HICKORY HOUSE but it was so late we settled on a Quisnos sandwich. After 17 hours on the road we arrived at the motel and called it a nite. We were happy we arrived safe and didn't mess up our precious cargo! On Thursday I planned on getting up early and getting to the Nats around 8am when they opened. The reason was I didn't have a pass for the dump truck and wanted to get a good parking spot for the trailer. We were up and on our way when Troy calls Linda's cell phone and in a somewhat paniced voice asks where we are at? I thought that was strange because our Daytona wasn't to be judged until that afternoon? We'll the schedule got changed and we were going to be the first car judged that morning @#$%^&*()! Now we were all in a panic! When Linda and I arrived about fifteen minutes later Troy was already there with the Challenger discussing the layout of the cars under the judging tent with head judge Keith Rohm. They had me unload the Daytona near the LIFT that the cars would go up on to see the bottom side. This was all new to me and I didn't know that they gave you time to prepare the car for judging! When I found that out I came back to life again! I have attached a couple of pictures of Troy and his employee Bob prepping the Daytona for judging up on the lift. There are a couple more of the Daytona also up on the lift being judged! WOW!!

Mopar John

MOPAR NATIONALS 2010 PART 2!
I was a nervious wreck waiting for and during the judging! Jon ( ONE BAD SUPERBIRD ) was there filming and did an interveiw with me at the end about our Daytona. From all indications the Daytona had done well and everyone told me not to worry so much! When it was all done Troy moved it to his display at the opposite end of the tent. I was spent! We were told that they were going to judge three OE cars that day and one more on Friday and Saturday. We were also told that we wouldn't know the results till Sunday just before the " PARADE OF WINNERS ". That was going to be torture! After the long days on Wednesday and Thursday we slept in on Friday and were surprised how quick the show field filled up on Friday Morning. We set up our chairs and cooler and just hung out with all our friends that stopped by. I have attached a couple more pictures of the Daytona when it first went on the lift and a couple more after it was parked at the other end of the tent!

Mopar John

MOPAR NATIONALS 2010 PART 3!
We arrived at about the same time on Saturday. Later in the day we noticed that a sign was on the judging table informing everyone that the judging results would be posted that day at 3pm! Great! We won't have to wait until Sunday to find out how our Daytona did! Long before 3pm a crowd started to gather around that table. Linda and I decided we would wait at least till 3pm or maybe a little later. We finally worked our way up there and soon found out that we had achived OE GOLD CERTIFICATION with our Daytona!! WOW!#%^()! I started to cry I was so happy and thanked Linda for her support in the project. Soon after we found out that Troy had taken 1st place in a large and tough E Body class. In addition Paul Jacobs has taken 1st with the panther pink 1970 Dodge Superbee he entered! What an accomplishment for the two shops! I have attached a picture of the Challenger Troy entered that was also restored by his shop and the Superbee that was a joint venture between Troy and Paul. Then I have the Mopar Nationals winners list and a close up of our OE class. You will see that three of the cars achived GOLD and two achived SILVER. We were happy to be in the gold class with our Daytona!

71ChallengeHer

Well done .  :2thumbs: Congrats.  :cheers:  I love the Panther Pink Bee.

Mopar John

MOPAR NATIONALS 2010 FINAL!
With the results now posted the Daytona was getting a lot more attention! People stopping by to see it and take pictures. Many asked questions like how long did we have it and how long the restoration took? My nephew John and his wife Amanda along with their daughter Brooke spent most of the day with us! Now all that was left was to find out who would win best of show from the three gold OE cars? This would be announced Sunday during the parade of winners. We arrived Sunday and started preparing for the trip home. Later we got the Daytona out from under the tent and got in line for the parade. Linda took a couple of pictures of the Daytona. The parade was great especially that we had the only wing car in it and got a lot of attention and pictures. When we got to the staging lanes we were informed that the OE judged cars would go last! Only three were present the 1970 Cuda that won silver, the 1970 4 door Valinat that won gold and our Daytona that won gold. Just before we lined up we found out that Dave Walden with his 1970 4 door Valiant had won best of show. They announced some information I presented about our Daytona and then I took Linda for a blast down the quarter mile of National Trail Dragstrip! I was more than happy with the result but felt our Daytona had come the longest journey to gain the gold! The Valiant was a 9,000 mile estate car and the 1979 300 was a one owner pampered car all it's life! Linda and I had a safe trip home and arrived back in Westville around 10pm Sunday.
Mopar John

Mopar John

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on August 16, 2010, 09:40:59 PM
71ChallengeHer,
We saw so many people go crazy over the pink Superbee that we have just about decided that our R4 Daytona will some day be panther pink with a white wing and white interior!!

pettybird

Quote from: Mopar John on August 16, 2010, 09:57:18 PM
71ChallengeHer,
We saw so many people go crazy over the pink Superbee that we have just about decided that our R4 Daytona will some day be panther pink with a white wing and white interior!!

I'm not sure the hobby can stand TWO panther pink Daytonas!!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Mopar John on August 16, 2010, 09:57:18 PM
71ChallengeHer,
That would be really cool.  :2thumbs: