News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

MORE DOOR AND QUARTER WINDOW BEFORE!
This batch of pictures show the drivers and passengers door window parts before restoration!

Mopar John

DOOR AND QUARTER WINDOW PARTS AFTER!
This batch of pictures show the passenger quarter window and drivers quarter window area from the inside after assembly!

Mopar John

MORE DOOR AND QUARTER WINDOW AFTER!
The first two pictures in this batch show the drivers door and passengers door after reassembly! The third picture is the start of the new brakelines being installed on the firewall. The last picture is a shot of the new brakeline going to the rear of Daytona!

Mopar John

DAY 19!
                                                          426 LINDA RETIRES!
   After 20 years + with the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE my wife Linda retired today! The post office is in a huge decline due to all the things that can now be done on the internet. Those that are left are working very hard to keep things going with more and more demands and a shrinking work force! I'm glad she made it! We were able to restore our B5 Daytona and finish up some home remodeling before she retired! I would like to thank her for all the help! Right to the last day today she shipped a package to David Patik at Performance Car Graphics. I decided to ship my extra heater control down to him to be restored. Troy has enough to do on the Daytona and I want to get this item taken care of. Thanks to 472 R/T SE for pointing out this overlooked item!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on July 23, 2010, 07:19:06 PM
                                                             DAY 19!
                                                          426 LINDA RETIRES!
   After 20 years + with the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE my wife Linda retired today! The post office is in a huge decline due to all the things that can now be done on the internet. Those that are left are working very hard to keep things going with more and more demands and a shrinking work force! I'm glad she made it! We were able to restore our B5 Daytona and finish up some home remodeling before she retired! I would like to thank her for all the help! Right to the last day today she shipped a package to David Patik at Performance Car Graphics. I decided to ship my extra heater control down to him to be restored. Troy has enough to do on the Daytona and I want to get this item taken care of. Thanks to 472 R/T SE for pointing out this overlooked item!

Wow !!!  That is an accomplishment.. My father retired from the Post Office as well. He was the Vehicle Maintenance Supervisor for Houston as he passed away. He had enough days of vacation and sick days to get his 20 years.

Congrad's to Linda for a great individual accomplishment....   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 25, 2010, 10:54:25 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on July 23, 2010, 07:19:06 PM
                                                             DAY 19!
                                                          426 LINDA RETIRES!
Troy,
Linda says thanks for the kind words! We both are sorry that your father didn't get to enjoy retirement!

Wow !!!  That is an accomplishment.. My father retired from the Post Office as well. He was the Vehicle Maintenance Supervisor for Houston as he passed away. He had enough days of vacation and sick days to get his 20 years.

Congrad's to Linda for a great individual accomplishment....   :2thumbs:

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION!
I have a lot of pictures of the heater box restoration. I am going to limit them to a couple of batch's from before and a couple after! This first batch of before pictures shows a couple of views from the top side. The last two are from the back side.

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION PART 2!
This is the final batch of the heater box before restoration! The first picture is of the front side. The second picture is an overall shot. The third picture is a close up of the weathered housing. The last picture is of the passengers side vent cable bracket area!

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION PART 3!
This batch of pictures shows the heater box on it's way back together! The first picture is of the bare shell. The second picture is a shot of the top side. The third and fourth pictures are of the backside!

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION FINAL!
This is the last batch of heater restoration pictures. This batch is again after restoration. The first picture is of the duct flap parts. The second picture is of the duct assembly. The third picture is again of the duct assembly. The last picture is an overall shot of the assembly after restoration! ENJOY!

Mopar John

DAY 16!
Over the weekend I received a call from Troy Angelly. He said that Paul Jacobs had stopped by on Saturday with the NOS muffler and assembly line heater hoses to put on the Daytona. They also went over Troy's list and added some items for more detail. After that they worked on the Daytona. Troy told me that earlier in the week that he had started on the hard to do items first! I like that idea! He told me that the original back window was back in the Daytona and the NOS chrome trim reinstalled! I am going to take the other rear window up to Rob and have him polish it while it is out of the R4 Daytona. Troy said that the polished door glass was also installed and all looks great as far as the glass goes! I will bring the extras back and decide which ones I will use in the R4 Daytona! Troy said that he hopes to finish the Daytona by weeks end! That will leave next week for detailing and cleaning! If all goes as planned Paul will have the panther pink 1970 Superbee that was with our Daytona in Indy finished and at the Nats. Troy also plans to bring the 1970 440 six pack Challenger convertable to the Nats. Some of you have seen it on display at Carlisle. I can't wait!

Mopar John

DAY 14!
The momentum and excitement are building! Two significant items today! The first was a call at work from Troy Angelly. He briefed me on the progress and went over some things. The Daytona has been up on the lift and the NOS mufflers are installed along with the NOS driveshaft! They are going over the bottom side with a fine tooth comb making sure as many details are correct as possible. Troy has asked for any information on any NOS parts that I have to make sure he has them all listed and photgraphed for the judges! The second significant item was that when I returned home from work the confirmation letter for the OE judging at the Mopar Nationals was on the table! Paul Jacobs took care of the entry process and now I know were in! No more worries on that part!

Dan T

1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

BigBlockSam

:cheers: looking incredible , good luck to your wife with what ever path she takes .  :2thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Mopar John

Quote from: Dan T on July 28, 2010, 08:43:02 PM
I can't wait to see it John! :2thumbs:
Dan,
It won't be long now! Look forward to seeing you at the Nats!
Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 28, 2010, 09:15:39 PM
:cheers: looking incredible , good luck to your wife with what ever path she takes .  :2thumbs:
BigBlockSam,
Thanks for the comments! Linda doesn't really know where to start around here! She is looking forward getting away for a while!
Mopar John

Mopar John

SEATS!
This evening I am going to post about the Daytona seats! First off I am lucky they were still in the Daytona! The R4 Daytona was missing the front and back seats and if there was a broadcast sheet it was gone too! The seats were there and complete but anytime you put any weight on them the upholstery would just break. This was due to being stored in the Missouri sun in the salvage yard all those years. This batch of pictures shows the front seats and center arm rest before restoration.

Mopar John

SEATS PART 2!
Troy started taking the seats completely apart. This batch of pictures shows the seat tracks before restoration along with the bottom halves being taken apart.

Mopar John

SEATS PART 3!
This batch of pictures shows the seat tracks after they have been restored and painted!

Mopar John

SEATS PART 4!
  This batch continues on with the seats. The first picture is of the bare backs before they were blasted and repainted. The last three pictures are of the back seat as it's taken apart.

Mopar John

SEATS PART 5!
The first two pictures in this batch are of the center arm rest before restoration. The last two pictures were taken on one of my visits down to the shop. Troy has a local craftsman that does all the reupholstering for him. Our seats had just come back and were setting out in the warm sun to stretch all the folds and wrinkles out before assembly and reinstallation! I had checked around for any NOS covers or material and the closest I came was buying a nice used take off set that has some good date coded sections. If I find some more I may some day get an original set of seat covers together. These came from Legendary which seems to be one of the common Mopar replacements.

Mopar John

SEATS FINAL!
This batch of pictures is the last that I have before they were installed in the Daytona! The first picture shows the seat backs with the rechromed bezels from Crusin Moons. They are one of the best on the seat bezels and turn signal indicator housings! The next picture is of the bottom passenger bucket with the seat track installed and all the components detailed. Being the original seats were used all the date coded seat tracks are correct for the Daytona. The third picture is of the front bucket seats waiting for the backs to be installed. The last picture is of the front seats with the hinge covers installed!

Mopar John

DAY 12!
   I have spent a lot of time over the last couple of days gathering information on all the NOS parts that we purchased for the Daytona! I have tried to consolidate all the information into one list with as many original part numbers as possible! Troy needs this for his documentation so we can present it with the Daytona. I have also been sending any pictures of NOS parts that I took so he would have those also! With all the reproduction now available it is very important to document all the NOS and original restored parts that are used! NOS assembly line parts are tough because many of those came out of bulk surplus and never had parts depot stickers or tags on them!

Al

Read your thread through from page one to 27. Your progress pictures show the great craftsmanship of the people working on your Daytona. Thanks also for sharing the numerous more personal pix. Great story and interesting read.  :2thumbs:

Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Mopar John

Quote from: Al on July 31, 2010, 03:46:02 PM
Read your thread through from page one to 27. Your progress pictures show the great craftsmanship of the people working on your Daytona. Thanks also for sharing the numerous more personal pix. Great story and interesting read.  :2thumbs:

Al
Al,
Read all 27 pages at one time! WOW! I can't begin to think how much time it's taken to get to this point! Glad you like the story!
Thanks! John