News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

DRIVERS VENT BOX BEFORE PICTURE!
Something went wrong in my last post and the wrong picture showed up! :shruggy:  I have attached the correct before picture of the vent box before restration to this post!

Mopar John

DAY 26!
I don't know if I will have the Daytona story complete before the Mopar Nationals. For this reason I am going to have to go back and forth between the restoration and current events. So when I'm speaking of today real time there are 26 days left till the Daytona gets judged at the Nats!
                              FIVE MORE PIECES OF THE PUZZLE! WWWOOOWWW IS ALL I CAN SAY!
I don't like to post on things till I know that all has worked out and this is a big one! I have had wanted ads posted all over for the remaining items that I have been looking for to finish the Daytona! One such ad was the first one posted on Moparts for July B Body parts wanted. Reluctantly I also posted a picture of the Daytona on display at Indy. The reason I was reluctant is that whenever you mention the word Daytona the price of parts doubles or triples! But I felt it may shake some parts loose for a worthy cause! It did and it worked! A fellow Moparts member Dan Paush sent me a PM on Moparts about the original or NOS tires that I was looking for. He said he was from Las Vegas and I remember a set of F70 X 14 redlines at the 2009 MOPARS AT THE STRIP show. He informed me that those were not the tires he had! He then informed me that he had a complete set of 5 F70 X 14 GOODYEAR whiteline original and NOS tires @#$%^&*()! WOW! He had two used date coded April of 69 and May of 69 which were perfect for a June 69 build Daytona! He also had three NOS that were very close to the original build also. He sent me a picture and told me that they were in storage in the midwest but that he was going to the Carlisle show and would pick them up on the way! WOW AGAIN! NO SHIPPING! He asked if I was going and I told him no but that Troy Angelly who restored the Daytona and his partner Paul Jacobs were! I made arrangements for those guys to bring the tires back to Troy's shop. They will be there next Tuesday when I take the Daytona back for the final touches! I have attached a couple of pictures of the tires. We plan to put the two originals on the back drive wheels and the NOS tire that still has the GOODYEAR label on it as the spare. The other two NOS tires will go on the front. I would like to thank Dan for all he has done to help me make the Daytona that much better!

pettybird

at least Dan didn't warehouse these tires in my garage for six months like he did with Nitrometal's spare  ;)

Mopar John

Quote from: pettybird on July 16, 2010, 03:51:38 PM
at least Dan didn't warehouse these tires in my garage for six months like he did with Nitrometal's spare  ;)
Doug,
I don't think there would have been a problem for me to store some tires over at your place! I have some connections! Good to hear from you! I read somewhere that you have a new job? Is it the one where you pass through this area every so often? You havn't stopped by to check on me in a while? Hope to see you and mom at the Nats!
John

Mopar John

DASHBOARD!
 There are a lot of parts that make up the dashboard assembly! The first pictures will be many before shots!
This batch is of the dash as it came out of the Daytona with close ups of the gauge cluster, radio and passengers side. The gauges were yellowed, the paint was coming of the bezels and the chrome trim was dull!

Mopar John

DASHBOARD BEFORE PART 2!
This batch of pictures are more of the before restoration shots. The first is of the glovebox compartment. The second is of the ash tray and the third is of the fuse box. Last is some of the bare dash frame.

Mopar John

DASHBOARD BEFORE PART 3!
This batch of pictures are close ups of some of the major components! The first up is the original am radio which was sent in and tested and restored. The next picture is of the clock which was restored and upgraded. The third picture is significant to me with the original spedometer at 24,016 miles!! I decided noy to roll it back to zero at restoration! Many cars are now lost to their true milage! The last picture is of the gauges which are all yellow. They were also sent of to be restored an recalibrated!

Mopar John

DASHBOARD BEFORE PART 4!
This batch of pictures show the dash assembly split from the body. You can see down in between the condition of the parts before restoration. The second picture is the back of the radio also before restoration with all the original hardware in place. The third picture is of the extra broadcast sheet found when the dash was being removed. You don't know how much I would trade that extra one for the missing sheet for the R4 Daytona!! For those of you who are missing your sheet this is a great place to look for it! The last picture is of the radio and speaker area from the back side before restoration.

Mopar John

DASHBOARD BEFORE PART 5!
This batch of pictures is of the bare dash frame after all the components were stripped out and before any restoration work started.

Mopar John

DASHBOARD RESTORATION!
This batch of pictures shows the dashboard frame after it has been beadblasted to remove all the surface rust seen in the previous pictures! The last three pictures shows the top side after it has been sanded and prepped for primer and paint.

Mopar John

DASHBOARD PAINTED!
The first two pictures show the dashboard frame painted and ready for reassembly! The next two pictures are the start of the reassembly process starting with the ash tray! The first shows all the components ready and then the second picture shows them all together ready to go in the dash! I am going to take a break here and when I return there will be another five batches of pictures showing the restoration and reassembly of the dash!

Mopar John

DASH ASSEMBLY!
In this batch of pictures you will see differant components as they come back and are reassembled to the dash frame. The first picture is of the radio speaker. The next item is the bezel for the rally gauge cluster. The third picture is of the rally gauge cluster in the dash frame. The last picture is of the glove box bezel installed!

Mopar John

DASH ASSEMBLY PART 2!
In this batch of pictures there is more reassembly work going on! The first picture is of the original am radio all redone. The second picture is of the back of the rally gauge cluster in the frame. The third picture is of the NOS glove box lock and the last picture is of the retaping of the original harness in an area where the original tape had come loose.

Mopar John

DASHBOARD ASSEMBLY PART 3!
  In this batch there is more reassembly of the restored components coming together! The first picture is of the back of the speaker and radio after installation. The second picture is of the back of the rally gauge cluster. The third picture is of the back of the clock and the last picture is of the NOS ignition lock and keys!

Mopar John

DASH ASSEMBLY PART 4!
  This batch of pictures more items being finished on the assembly! The first two pictures are of the firewall main connector parts and then assembled. The third picture is of the ignition switch and bezel installed. I have an NOS bezel on the way! The last picture is of the radio and it's bezel from the front installed!

Mopar John

DASH ASSEMBLY FINAL!
This is it! The last batch for the dash assembly! The first picture is of the passengers side with the glove box lid on. The second picture is of the completed dash assembly! WOW! The third picture shows the dash mounted to the Daytona body! The last picture is another of the complete dash installed!

Mopar John

HEADLINER AND DOMELIGHT!
There is only one picture in this batch and it's of the new headliner and dome light. The old headliner had some signs of damage from mice when it was stored outside and couldn't be saved. The replacement is an old style Legendary headliner. I am told they have made some changes and the new ones look rubbery? The domelight housing is an NOS piece.

Mopar John

DAY 23!
 In between postings today I was getting ready for day 22! Tommorrow I am taking the B5 Daytona and all the parts I have accumulated since Talladega down to Troy Angelly's shop. The Daytona will be down there till the Mopar Nationals! I have attached some pictures of what will be changed out on the Daytona. The first picture is of the NOS / low milage used nose seal set. The second picture shows the NOS / assembly line oil filter, assembly line front wheel bearing nuts with lock washers and cotter pins. There is also a pair of low milage correct Oriflow front shocks, NOS 11 x 3 front brake shoes of no supercedence and a NOS fuel vapor separator. The third picture is of the polished drivers and passengers door glass, misc original hardware and two dealer floor mats from Dave Walden. We got our carpet set and winshield from Dave. The last picture is of the polished back window, NOS trunk seal, NOS muffler, NOS license plate lamp box ( lamp is already on the Daytona! ), NOS rear 11 X 2 1/2 rear brake shoes and a pinion yoke with straps dated 4-18-69 with correct nuts and washers. Troy has a NOS air filter, NOS torsion bars and NOS driveshaft ready to go in! The recently purchased NOS / original tires are there also! Paul Jacobs is bringing the other NOS muffler, assembly line heater hoses and NOS tailpipe tip hangers! At this point I don't think I'll find any more parts before the Nats but who knows?

Mopar John

DAY 22!
  Only one picture today! Leaving for Eldorado, Illinois!

XS29J8

Your restoration documentation rocks John! I like the way you present each item before and after! Thanks for this priceless look at how many of these items are taken apart and reassembled properly.   :2thumbs:
Interesting, 2 completely different ways to restore a Daytona going on with Geno's archaeologically correct resto and your more accepted nicer than original yet correct too! The judging on both cars will be very interesting!    :scope:

:cheers:

Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

Mopar John

Quote from: XS29J8 on July 20, 2010, 08:42:11 AM
Your restoration documentation rocks John! I like the way you present each item before and after! Thanks for this priceless look at how many of these items are taken apart and reassembled properly.   :2thumbs:
Interesting, 2 completely different ways to restore a Daytona going on with Geno's archaeologically correct resto and your more accepted nicer than original yet correct too! The judging on both cars will be very interesting!    :scope:

:cheers:

Steve
Steve,
Thanks for the comments! It is a lot of work trying to stay on topic and find matching before and after photos! I have sevaral thousand photos to dig through. Some of the pictures might not be of the same angle or scope but for the most part I think you guys are getting the picture. There is only one reason that I am going to have our Daytona judged and that is to have something to back up my claim of what we have. It is being judged at one of the more known shows on the planet and to very tough standards. To have someone at your side that has gone through it in Troy and Paul is of great value. An example of one of the things that came up yesterday was the horn relay. The original housing was sent out and replated and has a date code of 0909 or the 90th day of 1969. I bought a very nice NOS one from Jim ( maxwellwedge ) but it is dated very late 1968. The plating is not quite correct on the original. So now what will the judges like better? We will know in about three weeks!
Mopar John

Mopar John

DAY 21!
Today is just a review of yesterday's trip! After I sent the picture on this site I had breakfast with 426 Linda before she left for work. That would be the last that I would see her for the day. It's about a 6 hour trip each way with fuel stops and a bite to eat. I stopped for lunch in Mt Vernon Illinois where I-57 and I-64 come together. I met a fellow named Greg from the St Louis area who needed some parts I had for a 1970 Superbee 440 six pack car he is restoring. I think he bought it as a project and some parts were lost in a body shop move by the previous owner. That went well and I phoned Troy to let him know that I was about 45 minutes away. He told me they were ready and had a spot by the lift for the Daytona. When I arrived we unloaded the Daytona and put it in the lift bay and went over both of our lists of what had to be done to the Daytona over the next three weeks! I then checked out the NOS driveshaft that had been redi-stripped and it looked like new. I also gathered up some left over parts and loaded them for the trip home. The shop was busy and now had three Daytonas there! Troy is very busy and if anyone knows of a very good all around body guy I think he would like to add another employee with steady work! On a sad note were two cars that were in the shop from bad things happening. The first was a real nice 1968 Charger that had been sideswiped on the night of the first summer cruise and a real nice 1970 GTX air grabber car that had sufferred an engine fire!! What a mess under the burnt hood. The trip home went well till I got near Chicago on I-57 and they were doing night time paving#$%^&*(! I finally got home at 10:30pm! I can't tell you how important it is to have your shop within a days drive. The cost yesterday was $250.00 for fuel and food. I am very lucky that I have the means to transport my own vehicle and make it back home in the same day!
Mopar John

472 R/T SE

Incredible.  I had the pleasure of meeting Troy, thanks to Troy P.  It didn't register until now.

May I ask why the heater control "TEMP" lever wasn't restored?

Mopar John

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 21, 2010, 07:45:50 PM
Incredible.  I had the pleasure of meeting Troy, thanks to Troy P.  It didn't register until now.

May I ask why the heater control "TEMP" lever wasn't restored?
GUILTY AS CHARGED! Ironically I had my album with the picture copies opened to the page with the heater control picture. It shows the "TEMP" knob not restored! Since I no longer have the Daytona here I will have to check with Troy in our next conversation and see if it is still that way? In the meanwhile I looked up the part numbers for the knobs to see if there was any NOS readily available and no luck. So I e-mailed Devin who advertises heater control restoration on Moparts to see if he has any NOS available. I also asked him if he has any extra original knobs restored. I don't want to add any more work on Troy's end trying to get everything else done!
Thanks for the observation!

Mopar John

DOOR AND QUARTER WINDOW PARTS!
Todays posts will show the door and quarter window parts before and after! This first batch of pictures show the drivers quarter and passengers quarter window area before restoration!