News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on July 07, 2010, 09:53:33 AM
                                           ORGANISOL TAILLIGHT PANEL?
I don't know if I spelled organisol correctly but that it what the taillight panels were originally painted with on the Daytonas. One of the first things Troy did before he started assembling the Daytona was to paint the taillight panel with the correct organisol paint. This post only has one picture and that is of the freshly painted taillight panel. There are a lot of Daytonas that have incorrect paint on the taillight panel. Mostly because of the difficulties in trying to keep the taillight panel clean with this type of paint! This is the last picture for today!

My Daytona is guilty as charged... Guess they weren't really interested in "correctness to the nth-power" back in '94 when it was painted. The cleaning difficulty and the desire to drive mine a lot has me thinking of organosol and a percentage satin clear finish. This way, you'll still have the texture and dulliness of orgasonol, but as well, the clear satin for ease of wiping/cleaning....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

BPTRacing

John,

I got a few pics of your car from Indy. (OK more than a few) Thought I would share this one with ya! :cheers:
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 07, 2010, 03:26:24 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on July 07, 2010, 09:53:33 AM
                                            ORGANISOL TAILLIGHT PANEL?
I don't know if I spelled organisol correctly but that it what the taillight panels were originally painted with on the Daytonas. One of the first things Troy did before he started assembling the Daytona was to paint the taillight panel with the correct organisol paint. This post only has one picture and that is of the freshly painted taillight panel. There are a lot of Daytonas that have incorrect paint on the taillight panel. Mostly because of the difficulties in trying to keep the taillight panel clean with this type of paint! This is the last picture for today!

My Daytona is guilty as charged... Guess they weren't really interested in "correctness to the nth-power" back in '94 when it was painted. The cleaning difficulty and the desire to drive mine a lot has me thinking of organosol and a percentage satin clear finish. This way, you'll still have the texture and dulliness of orgasonol, but as well, the clear satin for ease of wiping/cleaning....
Troy,
Keeping the original organisol clean is no fun! In fact when trying to clean the surrounding areas I find myself getting the cloth that I'm using snagged on the rough surface of the organisol @%^&*(!!

Mopar John

Quote from: BPTRacing on July 07, 2010, 05:04:08 PM
John,

I got a few pics of your car from Indy. (OK more than a few) Thought I would share this one with ya! :cheers:
Scott,
It was good to see you again! It seems like wherever we go a picture of 426 Linda pops up! So far most of them have her in a good mood? Next stop Mopar Nationals in August!

Mopar John

DOOR LATCHES AND STRIKERS BEFORE!
With the body now painted it was time for reassembly! While the body work was being done Troy had sent out a lot of parts to be replated, polished and rebuilt! Today I will share pictures of the door latches and the strikers. These were some of the first parts to go back on the body. The door hinges were on the body when it was painted and with the doors going on first the latches and strikers were next! The first two pictures go back to the fall of 2008 and show you the original door latches as they came off the doors and the bolts for the strikers. The last two pictures are from a differant day shown as assemblies right out of the doors!

Mopar John

DOOR LATCHES AND STRIKERS AFTER!
This batch of pictures will show you what the door latches and strikers looked like when they came back from the platers! WOW! What a differance! The first picture shows a fresh latch assembly along with the pins that have to be welded back on. The second picture shows a taped latch with the pin welded back on. The third and fourth pictures show the fresh latches ready for reassembly!

Mopar John

DOOR LATCHES AND STRIKERS INSTALLED!
With everything ready it was time to rehang the freshly painted doors and install the hardware! The first picture is of the strkers ready for installation. The second picture shows the striker installed on the passengers door post. The third picture shows the latch installed on the drivers door and the last picture shows the striker installed on the drivers door post. This is the last batch for today! ENJOY!

pettybird

Replated latches make a huge difference on a restored car. 

Side note--unless you're going for every last point like John, you don't need to disassemble the latches before plating--nothing happens to the nylon wedges at all.  it's a great shortcut! 

Mopar John

Today I only have one batch of pictures that are related to the B5 blue paint. The first three pictures show the engine compartment taped so that overspray doesn't make it's way in that area. The last picture shows the passengers fender installed on the body. Troy was carefull in the way things were painted to duplicate how this area looked when the Charger was converted to a Daytona! I have to download my biggest file of pictures yet dated 9-22-09! It was crunch time and many things were coming together. I am trying to make some order of it. Be back soon!

Mopar John

REAR OF DAYTONA!
Once the body and body parts were painted all the parts were organized on tables around it! This was done right in Troy's spray booth! He wasn't going to paint another car till this one was ready for Talladega! This would save time for all involved in walking back and forth to the assembly building! The rear of the Daytona came together rather quickly! This first batch of pictures show the taillight lenses and housing as removed. Then there is a couple of pictures with the taillights already installed from inside the trunk. The original lenses were polished and the original bezels were rechromed.

Mopar John

REAR OF DAYTONA CONTINUED!
This batch of pictures shows the quarter extensions with the gaskets ready to be bolted on. Next is a picture of the NOS taillight panel emblem and the NOS trunk lock. The last picture is of the back of the Daytona with all these parts installed! You can also see that the trunklid is painted both sides and installed! WOW!

nascarxx29

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: Nice work .I found these silver on black license plates with 1969.I bought many years ago .But they never got on my daytona.Need them
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 10, 2010, 04:50:12 PM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: Nice work .I found these silver on black license plates with 1969.I bought many years ago .But they never got on my daytona.Need them
THANKS! I like to going back together pictures a lot more than the taking apart pictures!

Mopar John

DOOR HANDLES AND LOCKS!
With the replated door latches and strikers installed it was time for the outer door handles and the door locks. The NOS door handles that I purchased were the newer superceded ones and were flat where they mated up with the door. Rather than have something that was incorrect Troy had the original door handles replated. The door locks are correct nos. The first picture is of the outer drivers door with the door handle and lock installed. The second picture is of the inside of the drivers door. The third picture shows the NOS outside rear view mirror installed on the door. The last picture is of the inside passengers door.

Mopar John

DOOR HANDLES AND LOCKS CONTINUED!
The first picture in this batch is another of the inside passenger door locks and linkage. The second picture shows the part number on one of the NOS door seals before it was installed. The third picture shows the sound deadner and domelight wire installed. The last picture is of the drivers side of the Daytona. The fenders and hood are on in this picture and it's really coming along!

nascarxx29

Blue car is fantastic in detail and workmanship .Here are these plates still in plastic bought in the 80s .Unpacked and found them
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

brianz426

Quote from: Mopar John on July 08, 2010, 10:37:01 AM
With the body now painted it was time for reassembly! While the body work was being done Troy had sent out a lot of parts to be replated, polished and rebuilt! Today I will share pictures of the door latches and the strikers. These were some of the first parts to go back on the body. The door hinges were on the body when it was painted and with the doors going on first the latches and strikers were next! The first two pictures go back to the fall of 2008 and show you the original door latches as they came off the doors and the bolts for the strikers. The last two pictures are from a differant day shown as assemblies right out of the doors!

Hi John,
Can you tell us who did the plating? All the pieces really came out great. Can you also tell me what the two different finishes are called?
Thanks
Brian

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 11, 2010, 02:03:10 PM
Blue car is fantastic in detail and workmanship .Here are these plates still in plastic bought in the 80s .Unpacked and found them

Dave,
Thanks for the offer on the 1969 plates! I have a "offical Chrysler show car" plate from an auto show display. I will find out if there will even be a plate on the car for judging. I will find out on this and pm if I need them.
Thanks! John

Mopar John

Quote from: brianz426 on July 11, 2010, 09:00:14 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on July 08, 2010, 10:37:01 AM

Hi John,
Can you tell us who did the plating? All the pieces really came out great. Can you also tell me what the two different finishes are called?
Thanks
Brian

Brian,
I know all the chrome plating was done by Paul's chrome plating out of Pennsylvania. The invoice for the other plating lists PHOSPHATE and ZINC plating. There is no direct invoice so I will have to check on this.
John

Mopar John

WIPER MOTOR!
The next item to be installed on the Daytona was the wiper motor! This first batch of three pictures will show the before pictures. The first two are of differant angles with the wiper motor still on the firewall before restoration. The last picture is of the bottom side from inside the Daytona.

Mopar John

WIPER MOTOR RESTORED AND INSTALLED!
During the restoration of our Daytona I got lucky on a lot of items! One such item was the original two speed wiper motor. One day I was scanning the moparts ads and JULES THE WIPERMAN had a post saying that he normally only restored three speed wiper motors but found enough NOS original parts to restore twenty two speed wiper motors! The responses were coming in fast so I e-mailed and told him that I would have one on the way. This is when a good relationship with your restoration shop comes in handy. I knew when most items were out being restored and the wiper motor was a back burner item. I called Troy and had the wiper motor shipped. The first two pictures in this batch show the same original two speed wiper motor as it came back from JULES! The third picture shows it mounted to the Daytona firewall and the last picture is from inside the Daytona with the linkage and pivots installed!

Mopar John

ANTENNA!
This batch of pictures will show the antenna components used and what it looked like after they were installed. The first picture is of the NOS adapter which is the chrome ring on the fender. The second picture is of the NOS cable and the mount that goes underneath the fender. The third picture shows the antenna cable coming through the passengers side door pillar. The last picture shows the antenna adapter and all the parts except the mast installed on the fender.

Mopar John

UNDER DASH WORK!
Today I will start with one more picture of the wiper motor and linkage from inside the Daytona. The next three pictures are of the brake pedal assembly before and after restoration!

Mopar John

MORE UNDER DASH EMERGENCY BRAKE AND GAS PEDAL HARDWARE!
This batch of pictures has a before and after of the emergency brake pedal assembly and a before and after of the gas pedal hardware!

Mopar John

MORE UNDER DASH DRIVERS VENT BOX!
The first picture in this batch is of the drivers vent box after restoration. The before picture is in the next post. This is the last of the prep work before the dash assembly went in!! To fill this batch of pictures I have a couple of pictures of the plates that the exhaust tip hangers fit into on the non bolted end! ENJOY!