News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

TRUNK LID METAL REPAIRS!
Today I will post several batches of pictures showing the metal repair work being done to our original Daytona trunklid. This part was also bought from Monroe Schellinger back in the early eighties! The first batch of pictures show the problems on the underside rear lip which is a common problem area on the Charger and Daytona trunklids.

Mopar John

MORE TRUNKLID METAL REPAIRS!
In this batch of pictures the first one is of an area of the lip opened up. Bad things were growing in there! The next two pictures are of the lip repairs and the last is of an important number that needs to be saved!

Mopar John

TRUNKLID REPAIRS CONTINUED!
  This batch shows a couple of pictures of the process of saving those numbers and more repairs!

Mopar John

MORE TRUNKLID REPAIRS!
This batch of pictures shows the lid with the weldable primer on it. It also shows the one half welded on and the other half getting ready for the same!

Mopar John

LAST OF LIP REPAIRS FOR TODAY!
This batch of pictures show the second half welded up and a dent being removed on the top skin! The last picture is a shot of the lip with a light coat of lead to seal everything up!

Mopar John

THE DECKLID IS ON THE DAYTONA BODY!
  This is the final batch of pictures for today! The first two pictures show the decklid on and the body gap for each side. The last two pictures show a screwdriver being used as a guide to make sure the gaps are the same on both sides after the final adjustments. NEXT UP IS THE NOSECONE!

Mopar John

ROUTE 66 NHRA NATIONALS!
I thought I would give you a break from my posting for a few days! This past Saturday Linda and I went to the NHRA NATIONALS at our home track ROUTE 66 RACEWAY! We had passes for the Alan Johson Al-Anabi racing hospitality area. We had a great time watching the top fuel dragsters and funny cars along with the pro stock cars qualifying! I took a few pictures. The first one is of Linda with Larry Dixon who is the current points leader and was top qualifier for the meet. Larry went on to win on Sunday. The next picture is me next to the Al-Anabi funny car! They started it up while we were there and the nitro fumes ran us all out of there! WOW!! The next picture is me with Allen Johnson the Mopar sponsored pro stock driver who was in second place for the year going in! The last picture is of me pointing to the picture of the Mopar sponsored funny car driven by Matt Hagan. Matt won on Sunday also! Enjoy!

hemi68charger

Looks like a fun time for all............. :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

NOSE CONE INSIDE PICTURES!
Today I'm going to post some pictures of the inside of the nose cone. I think that most of the components are original and make good reference pictures. This first batch has a picture of the left side wire harness, the left headlight spring assembly, the left parklamp and the right headlight spring assembly.

Mopar John

NOSE CONE INSIDE CONTINUED!
  This next batch is more of the inside of the nose cone before restoration! The first picture is of the right side wire/vacum harness. The next picture is of the left side wire/vacum harness. The last two pictures are of the right side wire harness and a close up of the part number label on the harness. We were able to save all the original wire harnesses and part number tags!

Mopar John

MORE INSIDE NOSE CONE!
As I continue on with pictures of the inside the nose cone, here is a picture of the under side of the nose cone to hood seal. This is important to see the hardware used to attach it to the nose and the rubber seal to the bracket. The next picture is of the vacum hoses and fittings and the headlight door actuator. The third picture is another of the wiring and vacum lines and the last in this batch is of more wiring.

Mopar John

MORE INSIDE NOSE CONE!
This batch of pictures show the headlight pivots and some disassembly! The first two pictures are of the right and left pivots. The third picture is of the right "Z" brace ready to be removed and the last picture is of the head light bucket assemblies out and on the shop floor with the wiring and vacum lines!

Mopar John

LAST OF INSIDE NOSE CONE PICTURES!
This is the last batch of pictures for today! The first picture is of the left inside nose cone upper area. The second picture is of the right side upper. The third picture is of the left inside lower and the last picture for today is of the right inside lower. ENJOY!

Mopar John

NOSE CONE IS BACK FROM REDI-STRIP!
After Troy removed all the components the nose cone was sent to REDI-STRIP to be dipped! When it returned the repair work started. Todays pictures will show some of the repairs! The first picture in this batch shows the dent on the left side of the cone from the inside that was made by the salvage yard payloader! The second picture shows the same area after repairs are made. The third picture is of the outside left and the fourth is of the outside left dent repairs. ENJOY!

Mopar John

NOSE REPAIRS CONTINUED!
The first picture in this batch is of a dent near the bottom. The second picture is of anothe dent near the bottom. The third picture is of dent repairs to those same areas. The last picture is of an area near the bottom seam on the right that needs some rust repairs!!

Mopar John

NOSE CONE REPAIRS CONTINUED!
This batch of pictures shows the work that was done to fix the rusted area in the right lower seam! The first picture shows the rusted area. The second picture shows the bad area cut out. The third picture shows the weldable primer inside an original area that will be saved! The last picture in this batch shows the replacement piece in place!

Mopar John

This batch of pictures continues on with the right side nose lower seam repairs! The first two pictures shows the replacement piece in place. The third picture shows the ouside of the same area where there is some welding and the last shows after it is ground down and ready for the next step!

Mopar John

This batch has the final two pictures of the nose seam repair. There is one from each side of the repaired area! When I continue with pictures it will be more of the nose cone repairs!

Mopar John

ANOTHER PIECE OF THE PUZZLE!
For some time I have been watching for NOS or good used GOODYEAR F70 X 14 white line tires to replace the repro's that are on the Daytona. If you remember when I bought the Daytona it was laying on the ground! I was lucky to buy a parts car with the correct date coded wheels. Today I bought a nice used F70 X 14 GOODYEAR tire with a good 1968 date code! I intend to switch it over as the spare for added points in judging!

hemigeno

Hey John,

What was the part number on the tag?  The number visible below is the vendor code...

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on June 09, 2010, 10:00:39 AM
                                                    ANOTHER PIECE OF THE PUZZLE!
For some time I have been watching for NOS or good used GOODYEAR F70 X 14 white line tires to replace the repro's that are on the Daytona. If you remember when I bought the Daytona it was laying on the ground! I was lucky to buy a parts car with the correct date coded wheels. Today I bought a nice used F70 X 14 GOODYEAR tire with a good 1968 date code! I intend to switch it over as the spare for added points in judging!

Were all Daytonas equipped with whiteline spares? The reason I ask is my Daytona, according to the 3rd owner I recently talked to, said it came with a redline. He replaced the original bad spare with a new redline on the original spare rim which is still in the car.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on June 09, 2010, 10:51:47 AM
Hey John,

What was the part number on the tag?  The number visible below is the vendor code...

Geno,
The tag on the B5 car is way up in there where I can' get a good picture. I can not see any other numbers? So I went to the headlight harness for the R4 Daytona and it still has the tag on it also! The only number I can see on it is the same 25797! I took a couple of pictures of that tag for you. The tag is made out of something similar to scotch tape and where it is loose it's hard to tell but doesn't look like any numbers were there. Where the red overspray is above the vendor code as you call it there is no number on the other tag. I am afraid to try and remove that red overspray and ruin the tag. My 1969 dealer parts book has 3412 674 as the part number for the nose wiring. I do not see any evidence of that number on the tags.

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 09, 2010, 11:17:47 AM
[Were all Daytonas equipped with whiteline spares?

Definitely not... the spare would have matched the stripe color for the other four tires.  Mine would have a redline spare, John's just happened to come with whitewalls originally.

Quote from: Mopar John on June 09, 2010, 12:12:08 PM
The tag on the B5 car is way up in there where I can' get a good picture. I can not see any other numbers? So I went to the headlight harness for the R4 Daytona and it still has the tag on it also! The only number I can see on it is the same 25797! I took a couple of pictures of that tag for you. The tag is made out of something similar to scotch tape and where it is loose it's hard to tell but doesn't look like any numbers were there. Where the red overspray is above the vendor code as you call it there is no number on the other tag. I am afraid to try and remove that red overspray and ruin the tag. My 1969 dealer parts book has 3412 674 as the part number for the nose wiring. I do not see any evidence of that number on the tags.

I am 90% sure that the part number on those harnesses is not the 3412674 number shown on the parts list.  The Daytona harness started out as a "regular" 2983438 Charger harness which was modified/lengthened to work on a Daytona.  A couple of years ago I saw a copy of the document which gave the instructions on how to modify the Charger harness, and I doubt they took the old part number tag off.  My harness' tag had fallen off and was laying in the bottom of the nosecone.  Like a dolt though, I did not take any pictures of it and do not know its whereabouts now.  From my recollections though it was not a 3412 part number.

Thanks for the info, and I'd be interested to know what that tag reads if you can ever finagle getting a picture of the other side of your blue car's label.  Once the latch tray is in place, it's hard to reach inside that nosecone, I know.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on June 09, 2010, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on June 09, 2010, 11:17:47 AM
Were all Daytonas equipped with whiteline spares?

Definitely not... the spare would have matched the stripe color for the other four tires.  Mine would have a redline spare, John's just happened to come with whitewalls originally.

Gotcha... My broadcast sheet says T83, 2ply redlines..... F70x14's on W21 chromed stamped road wheels.

Thanks Geno

Troy

Mopar John

Geno,
Daytona nose wire harness tag part 2! On the way to work yesterday I remembered buying an NOS wire/vacum harness of EBAY. It was advertised as a Daytona/Superbird wire/vacum harness. I e-mailed the seller telling him they were diffearant and that the Superbird wire connection was near the core support and the Daytona wire connection was near the back of the battery. As with all Daytona NOS the price went high. But later the part was returned since it didn't fit the buyers Daytona. I was then able to purchase it! I dug it out this morning and took some pictures! The first picture shows the same 25797 vendor code, the second picture shows how both numbers line up on the tag, the third picture shows the part number 3571160 on the NOS Superbird wire harness and the last picture shows where that number would line up on the tag from the R4 Daytona. It would be right under the R4 overspray?