News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on April 26, 2010, 05:37:58 PM
Today is April 26th or 426 Lindas birthday! I will be taking her out for dinner when she gets home from work!
tell her happy hemi  birthday 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on April 26, 2010, 10:42:47 PM
Happy Birthday 426
Quote from: moparstuart on April 26, 2010, 10:40:10 PM
Today is April 26th or 426 Lindas birthday! I will be taking her out for dinner when she gets home from work!
tell her happy hemi  birthday  
Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on April 26, 2010, 10:12:47 PM

Happy Birthday to her!

Linda says THANKS for the birthday wishes!

Mopar John

REAR VALANCE AND VALANCE CORNERS
This batch of pictures will show the rear valance and corners before repairs! The rear valance was bent probably from the junkyard payloader forklift moving the cars around. There is also a dent repair that could have been done at the factory, Creative or by a previous owner? In the one picture you will see one of the corners has rust holes and needs to be replaced! ENJOY!

Mopar John

MORE TRUNK AREA REPAIRS
This batch of pictures show differant repairs going on while the trunk floor was out! One shows the frame rails and suspension bracing being cleaned up. Another shows the underside of the rear package shelf area. The last shows the inside of the drivers quarter panel. Troy wanted to have all this work done prior to installing the new trunk floor!

Mopar John

TRUNK FLOOR EXTENSIONS
The passengers side trunk floor extension was repaired and reused. Here are a couple of pictures of the repairs before it was reinstalled.

Mopar John

TRUNK FLOOR EXTENSIONS CONTINUED
The drivers side trunk floor extension could not be saved and was replaced by an AMD reproduction. I found a Plymouth drivers side in NOS but could not find a Dodge!@#$%^&*()_! The following pictures show where the AMD reproduction had to be modified to fit. Troy also had to attach the tabs that hold the taillight harness to the new part. There is a closeup of one tab and then an overall after they were all installed and ready! My next segment will show the pictures of the work that had to be done to the reproduction AMD trunkfloor before installation!

Mopar John

AMD TRUNK FLOOR PREP
With all the metal work done on the quarter panels inside and out along with the trunk floor extensions and surrounding area it was time to get the AMD trunk floor replacement ready! The first pciture is of the gas tank strap brackets being saved from the old trunk floor. The next picture shows the new floor with the weldable primer where the straps will be welded on. The last 2 pictures are of the area where the spare tire hold down bracket will go and then it welded in place. It was nice to see things going back together!

Mopar John

This last picture shows some of the extra work needed when using reproduction parts. There was an extra hole in the trunk floor not used on the 1969 Daytona. This hole may be used in a differant model year so they just stamp all the holes? Troy didn't want that extra hole and body plug so he welded in a patch and eliminated it! My next batch of pictures will show the new trunk floor installed and all the welding that had to be done!

superbirdtom

looks great!   where did you get the wire loom holders with the rrubber dipped ends?   did you make them and then dip the ends in plastidip?

Mopar John

Quote from: superbirdtom on April 28, 2010, 10:15:33 AM
looks great!   where did you get the wire loom holders with the rrubber dipped ends?   did you make them and then dip the ends in plastidip?
Tom,
They took an original and made a pattern out of it and made the new tabs. They were then dipped and came out just like the originals. Glad you like the project!

Mopar John

TRUNK FLOOR INSTALLATION!
This is where I really started getting excited! The worst part of the Daytona will now be history! The first 2 pictures show down along the inside of each quarter panel. You will see the metal work is done with some primer already sprayed on. You will also see some holes pre drilled for the welding and the weldable primer already on also! The next 2 pictures show the welding and finishing work! ENJOY!

Mopar John

TRUNK FLOOR INSTALLATION PART 2!
Here are some more pictures of the trunk floor installation work. These pictures are more of the finishing work. The next batch of pictures will be of the sound deadner or dent protection that is applied to the inside of the quarter panels.

Mopar John

SOUND DEADNER/DENT PROTECTION
Here are the pictures I have of the sound deadner/dent protection that Troy sprayed on the inside of the quarter panels. These are the last I have of the trunk area for now!

tan top

more awesome  pictures John  :yesnod: nice work been going on there   sound deadner looks real good  :yesnod:
:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Quote from: tan top on April 28, 2010, 05:22:40 PM
more awesome  pictures John  :yesnod: nice work been going on there   sound deadner looks real good  :yesnod:
:popcrn:
tan top,
Thanks for the positive comments! I want to share all the hard work and efforts that went in to this restoration! Later this morning I will continue with more!

Mopar John

TAILLIGHT PANEL?
The first picture in this batch will show the trunk area all finished and ready for the taillight panel! Troy has evrything prepped and the weldable primer is already on! Remember back when Troy asked me to find an NOS taillight panel? We'll I tracked down the ad and got a hold of the guy who was selling the NOS taillight panel. He still had it and we made a deal@$^&*%^%^! WOW! I was very happy and had it shipped directly to Troy's shop. I am glad I found it and it didn't hold up the progress on the Daytonas restoration! They had to remove a couple of small handling dents and attach what I call the taillight surrounds. The second picture is of the part number and dealer shipping tag. Every NOS part that was used in this restoration has been documented and pictures taken! Once it is out of the box or the numbers removed it would be very difficult to prove which parts were NOS! The third picture is of the panel as purchased and the last picture in this batch is of the taillight panel all prepped and ready to be welded to the Daytona body! ENJOY!

Mopar John

REAR VALANCE AND VALANCE CORNERS!
  Once I saw the pictures of the old rear valance and corners it was time to look and see if I could find any NOS of those. The original valance was bent up and had dent repair holes and both corners had rust issues! I ran some wanted ads and really got good responses! The prices were all over the place! Finally I got in touch with a guy that had bought a bunch of NOS and was willing to sell me a NOS rear valance and the corners for a reasonable price!%^&*()! WOW!! I purchased them and had them shipped to TROY's shop. The first 2 pictures in this batch are a closeup of the dealer shipping tag on the valance and an overall shot. The last 2 pictures are of the wire tabs be attached to the valance.

69*F5*SE

I don't know why I haven't posted in this thread till now but, John thanks for posting all your pics with commentary.  It's very exciting to watch this all come together.   :2thumbs:  Also, what brand/type of weld thru primer is Troy using during the resto?  It looks like a copper color.  All the weld thru I've seen was grey in color.  I'm always looking for something better if I can find it.  :D   Ted

Mopar John

REAR VALANCE WITH CORNERS AND TAILLIGHT PANEL!!
This is where it all comes together! The first picture is of more wire tab work. The second picture is of the test fit process before final welding of all the parts! Troy was thankfull that I found the NOS corners! He had done a car with the repros and it took a lot more time during the pre welding fitting process! While I'm on Troy and the fitting process I would like to mention all the effort that was put in to all panel gaps and body lines during the restoration! I am really impressed with all the craftsmanship in this area! Thanks Troy!!The third picture is of the rear valance in primer after the wire tabs are all on! The last picture in this batch is of all the NOS rear body parts welded to the DAYTONA BODY!! I am still excited about this part!@#$%^&*()! WOW!

Mopar John

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on April 29, 2010, 11:20:53 AM
I don't know why I haven't posted in this thread till now but, John thanks for posting all your pics with commentary.  It's very exciting to watch this all come together.   :2thumbs:  Also, what brand/type of weld thru primer is Troy using during the resto?  It looks like a copper color.  All the weld thru I've seen was grey in color.  I'm always looking for something better if I can find it.  :D
69*F5*SE,
Welcome aboard! I know there are many watching this post as it goes along! It seems to be building momentum! I post when I can, usually on days off! I get pm's and calls from a few that don't want to come out of the closet! Troy told me during the restoration that a lot of trial and error went in to the development of the process that he uses on his restorations. As this goes on you will see differant color primers and sealers as well. I know on the weldable primer that several products were tried before he settled on the copper colored one that had the best results. I don't know personally what product Troy used and would suggest you contact him at TROY ANGELLY RESTORATIONS to see if he wants to share that part of his process. Thanks!

69*F5*SE

Mopar John

WHAT DOES 2600 HORSEPOWER LOOK LIKE?
 This morning I did some posting on here then it was time to get some work done. One of the things I had to do today was dig Linda's SHELBY GT500 out. It's the shortest car we have so I park it back in the shop because it's the easiest to get in there. May 1st her insurance goes from storage to full coverage and she's been dying to go for a ride since the weather got nice! So I decided that since I would have to move almost all the cars, to take some pictures while they were all out! I just added up rough numbers and came up with at least 2600 horsepower from the cars combined! What a fun day it was for me! Linda came home for lunch and my friend Greg that was over got a few pictures of us with our cars. The first picture is all MOPAR then I added the Shelby GT500! ENJOY!

Mopar John

MORE WELDING!
This batch of pictures shows more welding that took place on the rear of the Daytona!  It was nice to see all the parts being back together again!

Mopar John

TRUNK LATCH SUPPORT PANEL
With the back end all welded back together it was time to reinstall some of the smaller brackets and parts. The next piece to be repaired and go back on was the trunk latch support panel. I was lucky that it didn't get all bent up when the thieves pried open the trunk lid to steal the wing! The first picture shows the support panel before repairs. It was in good shape except the flange down at the bottom! The next 2 pictures show the repair work and the last picture show it welded back into the Daytona body!