News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johntpr

Red is all I've seen on original daytonas.

Davtona

Quote from: johntpr on April 26, 2012, 07:05:00 PM
Red is all I've seen on original daytonas.

I still have the original red one from my car.   

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Mopar John on April 26, 2012, 09:10:54 AM
                                                            440 DAYTONA AIR CLEANER PIE PAN LIDS
The other day while reading HEMIGENO'S updates I came across the part on 440 Daytona air cleaner pie pan lids. After reading it I discovered that I had the WRONG color lid on the Daytona? I had bought a red one from my local Mopar dealer and put it on. After driving around at Talladega I realized that the new REM hood pad was rubbing the front edge of the pie tin!@#$%^&*(_! My first picture shows what that looks like! So then I bought another red lid and kept it in the trunk for shows as the other was very noticable! The second picture is of the show piece.  Now I bought a correct orange one from a guy who said he had it from 1970 -1971? I have it in my last picture. If you look at the red and orange lids they are very close in color or is it MY eyes? Anyway at shows it will look correct!
My thinking on this is that as a commonly available replacement shows up on a bunch of cars does that become the norm? An example would be Legendary interiors and their headliners. They are differant than original but over time so many are out there that it looks right?
MJ

My question is, if the pad is doing that to the pie pan, what's the friction doing to the hood pad?
I would think it would wear away the material, no?

Mopar John

Quote from: WINGIN IT on April 27, 2012, 11:20:28 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on April 26, 2012, 09:10:54 AM
                                                            440 DAYTONA AIR CLEANER PIE PAN LIDS
The other day while reading HEMIGENO'S updates I came across the part on 440 Daytona air cleaner pie pan lids. After reading it I discovered that I had the WRONG color lid on the Daytona? I had bought a red one from my local Mopar dealer and put it on. After driving around at Talladega I realized that the new REM hood pad was rubbing the front edge of the pie tin!@#$%^&*(_! My first picture shows what that looks like! So then I bought another red lid and kept it in the trunk for shows as the other was very noticable! The second picture is of the show piece.  Now I bought a correct orange one from a guy who said he had it from 1970 -1971? I have it in my last picture. If you look at the red and orange lids they are very close in color or is it MY eyes? Anyway at shows it will look correct!
My thinking on this is that as a commonly available replacement shows up on a bunch of cars does that become the norm? An example would be Legendary interiors and their headliners. They are differant than original but over time so many are out there that it looks right?
MJ

My question is, if the pad is doing that to the pie pan, what's the friction doing to the hood pad?
I would think it would wear away the material, no?
WINGIN IT,
I don't drive this car much and have the hood up a lot when it's running to check everything out. The hood pad shows no sign of wear nor does it have an impression of the pie pan?
MJ

Mopar John

ORIGINAL DAYTONA 11 X 3 FRONT BRAKE SHOES!
  I am going to share my adventure in trying to get the correct front brake shoes for the B5 Daytona restoration. When I was first gathering parts a friend of mine had a set of front NOS 11 x 3 brake shoes that he would sell me at a reasonable price. The part number is 4176762 and I knew they were a later superceded part but at least I had original NOS Mopar shoes to use.  Then I was able to buy a set of 3528336 again superceded but an older part number and maybe closer? These were the shoes originally put on the Daytona for Talladega! Next I found a set of 3004976 shoes and these are listed in the 1969 parts book as original replacements! These shoes were swapped out in time for the Mopar Nationals judging! Recently I was able to purchase an original part number set 2808494 from fellow Daytona owner Tony Malcein who has been gathering parts for his restoration. I also have the original assembly line shoes off the Daytona that were bead blasted and cleaned up! As a start to this topic I am going to attach pictures of the boxes that show the differant labels and part numbers. I am then going to follow up with pictures of the shoes themselves and see if we can find the differances if any?
MJ

Mopar John

ORIGINAL DAYTONA 11 X 3 FRONT BRAKE SHOES PART 2!
  Well after a week of work and trying to get the race car ready for tommorrow I have part 2 ready! The pictures to follow will show the ends of the 11 X 3 brake shoes. I will point out what I have seen! The first picture is the ends of the original assembly line shoes off our B5 Daytona. The second picture is of the 2808494 original part number shoes. These shoes look identical to the assembly line shoes!
The third picture is of the original replacement shoes 3004976 that are listed in the Chrysler 1969 parts book! These shoes have a groove cut into them on one of the halves! The last picture is of the later replacement 4176762. These shoes have a longer lining and it is a darker color lining! So in summary all of the linings are differant! I will post pictures of the shoes in part 3!
MJ

Mopar John

ORIGINAL DAYTONA 11 X 3 FRONT BRAKE SHOES PART 3!
   This is the last chapter in the 11 X 3 Daytona front brake shoes and it compares the shoes! The first picture shoes a pair of original Daytona shoes. The second picture shows the 2808494 original part number shoes. The third picture shows the early replacement 3004976 shoes. The last picture shows the later replacement 4176762 shoes. To me all of these shoes look identical. All of the holes are in the same spots and of the same size. The shoes all all of the same size and shape also. So in conclusion the big differance in these early original shoes are the linings. The originals have no gooves and are not as long as the later versions! I hope you found this picture show informative!
MJ

69hemidaytona

Great to see the differences in those brake shoes. And to think that the seller was an NOS parts dealer that had 3 sets of these on ebay but had the part number wrong by one digit! I'm glad I took the time to ask them to confirm the part number so I could snag all 3 sets. I'm going to put one set on my Daytona and save the third set in case I need them later. I hope to be in your area again soon...Tony

Mopar John

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on August 04, 2012, 05:26:12 PM
Great to see the differences in those brake shoes. And to think that the seller was an NOS parts dealer that had 3 sets of these on ebay but had the part number wrong by one digit! I'm glad I took the time to ask them to confirm the part number so I could snag all 3 sets. I'm going to put one set on my Daytona and save the third set in case I need them later. I hope to be in your area again soon...Tony
Tony,
Thanks to you I had the originals to use for the comparison! You know how much I appriciate you sharing original parts with me! Give me a heads up when your headed this way and I'll let you know what my crazy work schedule is. I am going to take one of the NOS strut rod bushings with me to the Nats and see if I can find anything?
Thanks! John

69hemidaytona

I'm glad I could help out a great guy. Thank you for the impossible to find parts you gave me as well.

marty42

I love the stories!  Keep going.  Carol

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

Quote from: marty42 on August 16, 2012, 02:53:44 PM
I love the stories!  Keep going.  Carol
Thanks Carol!
I will keep going to help others! I wish I knew a little more before we restored our Daytona and maybe a little more time but you never know what tommorrow will bring. I had a pretty deep line in the sand for Talladega 2009! Sorry we didn't get to meet up at the Nats!
John

Mopar John

WHAT'S MOPAR JOHN BEEN UP TO??
This summer I got back to drag racing! At the DIVISION 3 ET FINALS in INDY 2010 we broke a rocker arm in the last time trial!
We took last year off and had the whole motor freshened up and repaired the rocker. This year we again ran at Oceola Dragway
near South Bend, Indiana! I work two weekends a month so I could only make half the points meets and finished 12th. This was good enough to make the DIVISION 3 ET FINALS again this year! I didn't renew my 9.99 and quicker license and was running right at
10 flat. We found out that down in Indy they were going to run 1/8th mile! This was a problem for me since my car is very quick in the eigth and my limit would be 6.40. I had been running 6.33 to 6.35 in the 1/8th so now what? I decided to make a stop for under the gas pedal to slow it down some. We got to Indy and we were to have two time trials on Friday. We'll the morning one got rained out@#&*(!
So Friday afternoon we got our first chance to see what it was going to do? Indy had the postponed US NATIONALS just the weekend before. The banners were still up so I pulled my GTX in front of the INDY class winners banner and had Linda take a picture.
 The track was still in great shape and when I took off the front wheels came up and I ran a 6.21 with the pedal stop! WOW!!
I have attached a picture of that run. You can see from the grip the rear tires all wrinkled up and the car in a serious launch,
On my last time trial Saturday morning I moved the pedal stop up, moved the accelerator linkage up and took two degrees out of the timing! I ran my time trial and got my timeslip and it ran a 6.28@!$%^! Now I'm in trouble being too fast for my limit.
The weather was going to get warmer and I moved the pedal stop up a little more and put a 6.40 dial in on the window. In the first round I ran a Mustang and we both had great reaction times his an .016 and mine an .021. We ran side by side and I lost by .007 of a second!
When you factor in the .005 start differance we ran almost identical with him gaining another .002. I almost pulled a rabbit out of the hat.
The car ran well and is now put away for next year!
MJ

Mopar John

Back to the B5 Daytona! I had to put a new seal on the inner pinion housing as it had a small drip over time. Once this was replaced I lowered the Daytona off the storage stands and started getting ready for the MCACN show November 17th and 18th for the AERO car display! Out of the blue I get a call from Tony Malcein another midwest Daytona owner. Do you have an NOS engine wire harness on your 440? See my first attachment. The answer is no! That is the only harness on the Daytona that is not original! We worked out a deal as we have been going back and forth with rare NOS parts. It is now here and should be on the Daytona for the show! I have a couple of pictures of the NOS harness! WOW! 1 more repro part removed!
Thanks! Tony

Mopar John

HEMI GENO'S VISIT PART 1!
This chapter in my story starts out with a simple parts wanted ad! Gene had posted an ad looking for a simple part not a super rare NOS Daytona part. He was looking for an original hood pin clip. After his ad was on the internet for a couple of weeks I contacted him and asked him if he had any luck with his ad. His response was basically NO! So I told him I had a box of old hood pin stuff he was welcome to look through and see if he could find a mate to his "D" shaped clip?? On one of his trips up to Vance's he stopped by. We looked at all my clips and found the one he needed!! Month's later Gene contacted me and said he had come across an oddball clip and I was welcome to it to make a pair for me. I told him to ship it to me and he said he was coming through again with his Daytona and would drop it off! WOW! So Gene and his son Jonathan stop by with the truck and trailer with the Daytona inside. I help him turn around in my driveway and back up to the shop. About this time my son Mike drives by and he makes a frantic phone call! Dad are you home??? Yes, why? There is a very nice truck and trailer backed up to the shop where your blue Daytona is parked. So either there is a very nice car there or someone is stealing the Daytona! I put mike at ease and told him there was another VERY NICE Daytona over for a visit.
    I would like to point out here that we ALL need to do this type of thing and keep watch for our friends and neighbors!!
Mike said don't let them leave I'm turning around! Mike arrived and Gene had the trailer doors open for him to check out the Daytona. Mike was smiling ear to ear as he has grown up with another R4 Daytona! Gene's son Johnathan and my son Mike probably know about as much about Daytonas as anyone out there! I have attached a picture of the hoodpin clips that were the reason for the visit!
The pins were not show worthy and have been sent to my favorite chrome plater to be replated. If my luck holds out I will have them on the Daytona at the MCACN show! Stay tuned for part 2 of the visit!
MJ

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Dave,
The pin clips of the spread out 3549611 lock packages look like they indeed have the "D" shape! Any extras?
MJ

Mopar John

HEMI GENO'S VISIT PART2!
Late this spring I get an e-mail from Gene and in it he tells me that he's going to have some extra tires after the Mopar Nationals?
I think what's up with that? His Daytona has F70 X 14 red lines and mine has F70 X 14 white lines. Later Gene explained that early on these were the only tires that he could find. I think he had thoughts of painting the white lines red or something? Anyway he found a nice set of origianl red lines and if they held air he would sell me the white line tires. With the price of original tires I was afraid to ask Gene how much he wanted for the set?? In the end he made me a great deal and I now have 4 1969 date coded tires! I am going to put the other set away for the R4 Daytona since it also has a white wing and a white front spoiler! I have attached a picture of the tires that Gene dropped off on the visit.
Thanks! Gene
MJ

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Glad I could help out a little.

Jonathan had fun on our stopover too - he liked the blue car as well as your Mustang.  In fact, he had so much fun that he came down with a bug of some sort right after we came home.  Mom didn't like that too much, which means young Master Jonathan will not be accompanying me to MCACN next month.  Maybe spending an afternoon at a Go-Kart and MiniGolf complex in 50 degree weather wasn't such a good idea after all...

:brickwall:

maxwellwedge

50 degree weather up here means we are still wearing the regular speedo's and not the fur-lined ones....... :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 25, 2012, 09:11:42 AM
50 degree weather up here means we are still wearing the regular speedo's and not the fur-lined ones....... :lol:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

JB400

Quote from: moparstuart on October 25, 2012, 10:20:09 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 25, 2012, 09:11:42 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Your one to laugh Stu.  You and I are in for our first cold snap of the year.  Hope your kittens have their mittens :nana:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: hemigeno on October 25, 2012, 09:08:38 AM
Glad I could help out a little.

Jonathan had fun on our stopover too - he liked the blue car as well as your Mustang.  In fact, he had so much fun that he came down with a bug of some sort right after we came home.  Mom didn't like that too much, which means young Master Jonathan will not be accompanying me to MCACN next month.  Maybe spending an afternoon at a Go-Kart and MiniGolf complex in 50 degree weather wasn't such a good idea after all...

:brickwall:

Surely he would be better by the time MCACN rolled around , no?
Or was it a punishment handed down by Mom?
Sounds like she wears the pants in the family  then , huh?
We already know who wears the diapers ... :D
Sorry Gene couldn't resist .. ;)