News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Quote from: richRTSE on January 30, 2012, 06:43:36 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on January 30, 2012, 04:47:00 PM
UFO,
Thanks for posting the close up of your " PICKERS TAG " ! This helps me a lot because my tag has a revision date of 4/68 and yours has a revision date of 8/71. So I now know my part was shipped in the late 68 to early 71 time frame and therefore a very correct period piece for my car!
Ernie,
I will attach a close up of my "PICKERS TAG" for you. Hopefully we can find out if there is a date punched into these cards for future reference!
Thanks! Mopar John

not sure if this helps or not, but you can decifer some number out of those holes....looks like they match the numbers at the top of the ticket...quantity, part number, etc....starting at the top left looks like 0002, then 01942248, etc....maybe there's a date in there somewhere, I didn't decifer them all....hope this helps or is this common knowledge already?
:shruggy:
richRTSE,
The info you posted about the punch holes lining up with the numbers printed above does help! That solves what most of the punches are for! There are some extras and I've studied them trying to figure if any were a date code till I got a headace! :brickwall:
Maybe someone will figure out that last piece of info we need?
Thanks!MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 31, 2012, 12:02:02 AM
Hey John I see we share another interest together: Coin collecting!! Next time I stop by maybe you can show me what you have. Thanks for those hard to find reflectors.
Tony,
Your welcome any time, we'll almost any especially if your delivering NOS parts!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 31, 2012, 07:45:05 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on January 30, 2012, 05:53:13 PM
                                                                NOS TAILLIGHT LENSES PART 2!

Awesome John.. I know how difficult it is to find these NOS parts.. Maybe Tony can find the other side Charger 500 headlamp bucket... I have one, now I need the other side....
Troy,
Make sure you post a picture of the one you do have with the part number for the other side in your want ads. Some of the 500 front end parts are the same as a 68 Coronet. But since your having a hard time I expect it's a 500 only part? KEEP LOOKING!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: EV2DEMON on January 31, 2012, 12:23:11 PM
And here I thought the car was done! It's a sickness isn't it?

One of these days I'll stop over and see how things are going.
John,
It is a sickness! I have been selling off my extra used parts that have no connection to the cars we have. I have been using those funds supplemented by my allowance to buy any NOS that will enhance the B5 Daytona! It's not all bad as I have a place for nice extras! I will be out in the shop most of tommorrow and some Thursday so stop over and visit! You will get a jump on the rest as far as what I havn't posted yet!!
Uncle John

Mopar John

MORE ON CHARGER TAILLIGHT LENSES!
I thought my post on correct taillight lenses would have stirred up more debate than it did? There is a pair of NOS 1970 Charger taillight lenses currently on EBAY. I have attached one of the pictures from the ad. You can see the white reflectors that are added for 1970!
MJ

Davtona

Quote from: Mopar John on January 30, 2012, 05:53:13 PM
                                                                NOS TAILLIGHT LENSES PART 2!
Right now I believe there are about 6 and maybe as many as 8 differant kinds of taillight lenses and many carry the same factory part number!

I remember reading somewhere, sometime, that there are 4 different versions of the 1970 lens. Depends I believe on the build date of the car as to what is the "correct lens" for a particular car.

Mopar John

A COUPLE MORE DETAIL ITEMS!!
At the time of the restoration I installed both NOS parklamp assemblies in the Daytona. Even though it passed the light test in several judgings the bulbs were incorrect! I had the original yellow painted looking bulbs and should have had the amber glass bulbs. I found a couple original ones and am going to swap them out!
The next item is what I call the "F" fitting for the windshield washer hoses on the cowl. I previously found the resivoir, pump and small hose from the "F" fitting to the nozzles. So I have been on the lookout for the "F" fitting and supply hose in NOS. I finally found the NOS "F" fitting and when I received it I thought it was wrong because it was countersunk on the side not used? But I went and checked out my untouched original setup it was installed with the countersunk opening for the screw down? I have attached a picture of the NOS part and original and the complete setup showing the orientation of the fitting! Maybe these were originally made for another application?
MJ

johntpr

John,

Who told you the yellow painted bulbs were incorrect?  Those are what I've seen on some original Daytonas.

Mopar John

John,
My NOS assemblies had the yellow painted bulbs in them! On hemigenos post there is a factory buletin that shows where the bulbs should be swapped out at Creative due to new federal regulations! My original B5 assemblies and R4 assemblies both have the amber glass bulbs in them! I'm sure some got missed in the rush!
MJ

djcarguy

great read and cars,been long time so i was rereading.back up to page 11 ,but it is driving me nutts ,what happened to white bird and do you wish you would have got $500 body shop one and others? B5 and 6 pack and race cars are all great in my book.any more pics of red daytona coming up?
         your like the 4th guy i know now and me that got our boats and marriages hit by ice bergs and sunk in 99 ,maybe Y2K was real?my 2nd x was a soft ball nut and would have afew player and thier partners over. well the one that was allways trying to be my bud and all in to cars.was the jerk ,loser she is married to now and broke all the time,.some justice .but my sons were only 8 and 10,so i have been paying since 1999,i year to pay...than back to cars,trying to stay with wing dream and no ring nitemares.. 
all best on your wing car restores. thanks for thread and pics from days past.dj

Mopar John

Quote from: djcarguy on February 11, 2012, 03:06:22 PM
  great read and cars,been long time so i was rereading.back up to page 11 ,but it is driving me nutts ,what happened to white bird and do you wish you would have got $500 body shop one and others? B5 and 6 pack and race cars are all great in my book.any more pics of red daytona coming up?
         your like the 4th guy i know now and me that got our boats and marriages hit by ice bergs and sunk in 99 ,maybe Y2K was real?my 2nd x was a soft ball nut and would have afew player and thier partners over. well the one that was allways trying to be my bud and all in to cars.was the jerk ,loser she is married to now and broke all the time,.some justice .but my sons were only 8 and 10,so i have been paying since 1999,i year to pay...than back to cars,trying to stay with wing dream and no ring nitemares.. 
all best on your wing car restores. thanks for thread and pics from days past.dj
djcarguy,
I am glad that you like the story enough to re-read it! Actually I wish I had an index for the topics covered! Another member 69hemidaytona is discussing the original green filters and another member is questioning if any are really used? I do have one on the B5 Daytona! But I don't have time to look for that picture.
The white bird was sold to a friend of mine and he's trying to put it back together! Funny you mention the R4 red Daytona! Check out my Superbird post for an update!
MJ
P.S. It's common for friends to become TOO friendly! :yesnod:

held1823

I will attach a close up of my "PICKERS TAG" for you. Hopefully we can find out if there is a date punched into these cards for future reference!
Thanks! Mopar John

it looks like a lost cause coming up with any local insight on how the parts depot managed their date coding. the tickets were not widely used at the local plant, generally showing up only when a quality issue concerned a part manufactured here. given that, none of the former employees that i've ran into seem to know very much about the tickets.

beyond that handicap, i know of two people that i worked with who later transferred to parts depots. so far, neither of them has been able to find out anything from one of their "new" co-workers, who might have worked at a depot back in the day. if someone has success down the road, i'm hoping they will email me about it.

sorry for the dead end.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopar John

Quote from: held1823 on February 20, 2012, 04:13:35 AM
Thanks! Mopar John

it looks like a lost cause coming up with any local insight on how the parts depot managed their date coding. the tickets were not widely used at the local plant, generally showing up only when a quality issue concerned a part manufactured here. given that, none of the former employees that i've ran into seem to know very much about the tickets.

beyond that handicap, i know of two people that i worked with who later transferred to parts depots. so far, neither of them has been able to find out anything from one of their "new" co-workers, who might have worked at a depot back in the day. if someone has success down the road, i'm hoping they will email me about it.

sorry for the dead end.
Thanks for checking into this! It's been mentioned here a few times and may come up in a conversation or another forum somewhere in the future?
MJ

Mopar John

NOS HIGH BEAM HEADLIGHTS PART 2!
Not long ago I posted about a trade of my NOS headlights toward an NOS taillight lens. It was really hard to let go of the headlights but the lens was something that I really needed to make a pair. I also wanted to help restore another Daytona. Recently a couple of things came together and I was able to buy a couple of NOS low beam headlights. Then just last week I was able to get a Couple of NOS highbeam headlights to make a complete set of headlights and retaining rings! :2thumbs:
MJ

maxwellwedge

I find the 4000's and 4001's (I think the old ones are 4002's) all the time. It is the larger rounds (old # 6012) that are next to impossible to find.

Still - A nice score John!

djcarguy

Any r4,red daytona ,pics and info updates in the near future??  did you ever have it running and moving about? well ya got some great rigs and enjoy seeing them saved..thanks DJ,out west.30 years ago i passed on a yellow bird to save first marrage-mirragge ,,sold my 70 rt to buy it,,bitc-----wife split few months later with money and my new nisson...................  sorry brain fade off track.

red daytona info please,thanks?/? take care,dj

Mopar John

A GREAT DAY OUT IN THE SHOP!
Recently Linda and I picked up our freshly rebuilt and dynoed race car engine. It made 700HP on the dyno with a fuel delivery problem in the secondaries of my old Holley Dominator! This morning I set out to sand down and put a fresh coat of high heat paint on the headers so I can install the engine later this week! All went great and I got into a lot of little things that I had wanted to do for a while! I even made it over to the B5 Daytona for a while and started installing some of the NOS I had purchased. Today I installed the NOS blue door lock pulls and the NOS "F" fitting for the windshield washer hoses on the cowl.
MJ

Mopar John

I finally installed the NOS automatic transmission dust shield on the Daytona! I had been putting this task off but I needed to get some info for Danny 69_500 and get the Daytona back on the ground for show season. My first worry was when I pulled the tape off and removed the pickers tag how it would look? I didn't know if there would be a shiny stripe where the tape was. The first picture shows that it turned out very nice. When I crawled under the Daytona my original dust shield that had been cleaned up was starting to have a flash coat of rust on it! The second picture shows it before removal and cleaning. I was able to take an oiled down cloth and remove it but this would have become another maintenance item in a spot that would normally be tough to get at! The last picture shows the NOS dust shield in place. Hope everyone else is out there getting ready as well!
MJ

Aero426

Looks like it would be a good candidate to treat with RPM. 

Mopar John

Quote from: Aero426 on April 25, 2012, 12:40:20 PM
Looks like it would be a good candidate to treat with RPM. 
Doug,
That is a great idea! I will clean up the one that has the flash coat of rust and see what happens?
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

440 DAYTONA AIR CLEANER PIE PAN LIDS
The other day while reading HEMIGENO'S updates I came across the part on 440 Daytona air cleaner pie pan lids. After reading it I discovered that I had the WRONG color lid on the Daytona? I had bought a red one from my local Mopar dealer and put it on. After driving around at Talladega I realized that the new REM hood pad was rubbing the front edge of the pie tin!@#$%^&*(_! My first picture shows what that looks like! So then I bought another red lid and kept it in the trunk for shows as the other was very noticable! The second picture is of the show piece.  Now I bought a correct orange one from a guy who said he had it from 1970 -1971? I have it in my last picture. If you look at the red and orange lids they are very close in color or is it MY eyes? Anyway at shows it will look correct!
My thinking on this is that as a commonly available replacement shows up on a bunch of cars does that become the norm? An example would be Legendary interiors and their headliners. They are differant than original but over time so many are out there that it looks right?
MJ

hemigeno

John,

I definitely wouldn't say that a red pie tin isn't correct, hopefully that wasn't inferred in my earlier reply.  In fact, I've seen more original red lids than I have orange - but as far as I know either color is considered correct.

Man, that REM pad is really skinning up the pie tin, isn't it?   :o

nascarxx29

I dug into the CD parts book on the pie plate
The #2843767 name plate doesnt appear in 69 parts catalog just in the 70-71 parts book for W D B J line.Found it in 68 book not much description other W Coronet D Dodge 440 magnum .And no color listed
14-029-008 NAMEPLATE, A/Cleaner
440 Engine, 440 Magnum   
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

I think I am confused on the correct lid at this point? But I now have one of each in nice shape so I'll bring both!
MJ

jdiesel33

Quote from: hemigeno on April 26, 2012, 10:13:07 AM
John,

I definitely wouldn't say that a red pie tin isn't correct, hopefully that wasn't inferred in my earlier reply.  In fact, I've seen more original red lids than I have orange - but as far as I know either color is considered correct.

Man, that REM pad is really skinning up the pie tin, isn't it?   :o

Mine was originally orange, but I replaced it with a red one since the car is red. Looks better I think. :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes