News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

ENGINE BAY TOUR!
 The first picture is of the engine bay with most of the restored/NOS components installed! The next picture is of the restored Prestolite horns. In this picture you will also see the NOS horn relay that I purchased from Jim maxwellwedge on this site. All the hood bumpers are nos and may not show up in the pictures. I got the 2 front round ones from my friend Rod at the local Chrysler dealer who is restoring a 1970 Charger R/T! The 4 side hood bumpers came from an EBAY auction and the back 2 came from Doug Schellinger  areo426 on this site. Next we move on to the NOS washer bottle and pump. I have attached a couple of pictures of these also. The correct washer bottle has the cap latch facing forward. The newer superceded ones have the cal latch at the back! I am still looking for NOS washer hoses. The one from the bottle to the T on the cowl is 7/16 and the ones from the T to the nozzles are 5/16. I found out I was going to bid on a roll of the smaller 5/16 against hemigeno and I didn't and he won the auction and is supposed to get me enough to do our Daytona. So I am still looking for the 7/16 and the part number is 2197650 if anyone knows where there is any?

Mopar John

ENGINE BAY TOUR PART 2!
The next item up is the heater box to firewall nut/washers. I purchased some repros when I was working on our Superbird from Totally Auto. They looked right but they wern't. They didn't have the grippers on the back side of the washers! If they have the grippers you can see waves in the washer from the stamping process on the outside!
At the time I was buying parts from Paul Jacobs and asked him where I could find these nut/washers and he told me to get my originals replated! So I took all the extras I had and took all the ones off all the cars and had Paul get them replated. They came out great and the best of about 20 were used on the Daytona! These are very commonly replaced with the wrong hardware! Next up is the ballast resistor. I couldn't find an NOS one with the right part number so Troy restored the original! He took it apart and had the strap replated! I have a couple of pictures of the restoration attached! Next up is the engine grond strap. I purchased this nos from Paul Jacobs along with a NOS transmission filler tube and dip stick! The next item is the NOS date coded voltage regulator. Again this was purchased from Paul Jacobs. This one has the correct date code and is the correct yellow paint for 1969.The last item in this batch is the starter relay. For the longest time I couldn't find an NOS one with the correct date code! So Troy took the original apart and had the housing replated. But in time for Talladega I found an NOS one from Bill Rolik! I have attached a picture of the original.

Mopar John

ENGINE BAY TOUR PART 3!
I skipped over the wiper motor. The original was restored by Jules The Wiperman! He normally does 3 speed wipers but had an ad on Moparts that he had enough parts to do 20 2 speed wiper motors! I sent him an e-mail that I was sending one in and had Troy ship it. The results are fantastic! Next up is the wiring. Troy restored all the original wire harnesses and got the few missing tags from ECS. Next is the heater hoses! These are special to me! Just before the Mopar Nationals Paul Jacobs told me he had a set of assembly line NOS heater hoses. He said that if I wanted to purchase them for the Daytona they were mine! I had to get them because then almost every hase was original or NOS! I have attached a close up picture of these hoses and you can see the 5 grooves that are cut into the hose! Speaking of NOS hoses I found an NOS radiator overflow hose also! It was on E-BAY and came from the country of Peru? The seller claimed they made the rubber hoses there at one time? I have attached a couple of pictures of this hose and it has the original 7 ribs molded into it!

Mopar John

ENGINE BAY TOUR PART 4!
This will be the last pictures for tonight! The first picture is looking down at the assembly line oil filter. The second picture is of an original air filter on the base and then a later stye stacked on top so you can see the differance! Both of theses rare items were also purchased from Paul Jacobs!

Mopar John

OE GOLD CERTIFICATE!!!
Today I had planned on posting more about the engine bay but I have something way more important! In todays mail Linda and I received our OE GOLD certificate from the Mopar Nationals for our Daytona! When we were lined up in the winners parade at the Nats all we got was an empty frame#$%^&*()_! We were told a sealed non reproducable certificate would follow later. Later it was, about two months! I have attached a picture of the certificate and it reads that we earned 2197 points out of a total possible of 2250 points! To achive GOLD you needed 97% or 2182.5 points. We were also supposed to get a judges summary to see where we lost points. That did not come today@#$%^&*(! ENJOY!

tan top

Quote from: Mopar John on October 23, 2010, 02:20:40 PM
                                                  OE GOLD CERTIFICATE!!!
Today I had planned on posting more about the engine bay but I have something way more important! In todays mail Linda and I received our OE GOLD certificate from the Mopar Nationals for our Daytona! When we were lined up in the winners parade at the Nats all we got was an empty frame#$%^&*()_! We were told a sealed non reproducable certificate would follow later. Later it was, about two months! I have attached a picture of the certificate and it reads that we earned 2197 points out of a total possible of 2250 points! To achive GOLD you needed 97% or 2182.5 points. We were also supposed to get a judges summary to see where we lost points. That did not come today@#$%^&*(! ENJOY!

awesome stuff  MJ :cheers: :yesnod: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Thanks tan top! Today I will try and finish the details of the engine compartment! The first picture is of the original coil before and the second is after it was relettered. Next up are a couple of pictures of the restored carburetor!
The first picture is of the drivers side and shows all the detail in the assembly. NOS items in this picture include the stud for the throttle cable, the throttle cable along with the cable holdown and nut! The second picture shows all the detail on the passengers side! I was able to find NOS carb H bolts and Paul Jacobs had a set of NOS bolts for the intake manifold! I also bought about 30 NOS H bolts from an E-BAY auction for the water pump and housing!

Mopar John

MORE ENGINE BAY TOUR!
This batch of pictures will be about the distributor! The first two pictures are of the original distributor before it was restored! The first picture shows the outside. I was lucky in that the original date coded part number tag was still there and in good shape. The second picture is looking down at the top of the distributor. The next two pictures are of the same parts disassembled during the restoration!

Mopar John

ENGINE BAY TOUR PART 2!
This batch of pictures shows some of the NOS parts used in the distributor restoration! An original NOS Mopar tune up kit was used. I was also lucky and found an original NOS distributor cap!

Mopar John

ENGINE BAY TOUR PART FINAL!
  Here are the last couple of pictures of the engine bay! The first picture shows the spark plug boots on the passengers side of the engine. We have not found a correct NOS set of date coded plug wires so we purchased a repro date coded set. Then Paul Jacobs came up with a set of NOS plug end boots to make the wires more correct!
On the other side of the engine not pictured are NOS plug wire shields! The last picture is of the front of the carb and shows a pair of NOS carb idle screw caps! These are usually discarded by now and very hard to find! These were brought to my attention when the Daytona was on display in INDY by Dan C500 on this forum. Shortly after that show Paul found a pair of these and we installed them before the Mopar Nationals! Other NOS parts not mentioned previously include the correct long finger radiator cap, negative battery cable, engine oil filler cap, fuel vapor separator and firewall clutch rod hole cover! That's it for today! When I return I plan on covering more nosecone assembly! ENJOY!

Mopar John

FLAT TRAILER TIRE PART 2!
  The part that I didn't tell you is that when Linda and I dropped the back door on the box trailer at Louisville on Saturday before the show we had a surprise! There were little white paint chips on the trunklid of the Daytona@#%^&*())! When we had the flat tire and had to get off to the side of the interstate in a hurry the trailer must have bounced around and so did the Daytona! I strap the rear of the car on the axle and the body is free to move. The combination of this let the ramp door flap come into contact with the wing#@$%)! Linda asked me what do we do now with the show being tomorrow? I said all we can do is find a parts store and buy some white touch up paint! We drove around Louisville and found a NAPA auto parts store. We went in and found just what I was looking for and touched up the nicks in the wing! When I installed my new tire on the wheel I heard a small leak. After checking it was coming from a cracked valve stem? After I took the old but destroyed tire off I found no evidence of a puncture? So I wonder if the valve stem is what let the tire loose air and get hot?
Some lessons learned that I want to share with other wing car owners. First if your wing is close to the trailer door use something to keep it from moving around. I have installed hooks on both sides to do this. I have attached a picture. I have talked with others and a flat trailer tire can also rip up the fender and wires that control the brakes. The worst case senario is for it to get real hot and start on fire! I always have a fire extingusher in the race car but none in the Daytona! I have purchased a good auto fire extingusher and now carry it when hauling the Daytona! The last thing I want to mention is that I scrubbed a couple of those toll booth islands with the passengers side trailer tires and that also may have been the cause of the flat! The tires are not made for driving on the sidewalls!
Just trying to help others avoid a disaster!

Mopar John

MUSCLE CAR AND CORVETTE NATIONALS!
This past weekend we were invited to display the Daytona as part of the Chicagoland Mopar Connection display at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Rosemont, Illinois. About a week after Louisville I called Troy Angelly and told him about the show and asked him if he could repair the paint on the wing in time for the Rosemont show? He said yes and Linda and I removed the wing and took it down to his shop! A week ago Friday we hauled the Daytona down there and had Troy install it on the Daytona! We were not going to take any chances with the show so close! I have attached a couple of pictures of the Daytona in the display on the show floor. I have also attached a picture of 426 Linda posing as another famous Linda with the giant size Hurst shifter! Since the Daytona was going to be there and they were going to do Concours type judging I decide to enter the Daytona. We did well and recieved another GOLD certification with 984 points out of 1,000. I have corrected a couple of items since the Nats and am learning how to prep the Daytona better for judging! Doug ( PETTYBIRD ) told me how clean the organisol taillight panel and keep it looking good as an example! I learned more at this show and should do better again next time!

Mopar John

MUSCLE CAR AND CORVETTE NATIONALS PART 2!
  There were three other wing cars at this show! The only Daytona sold new at Mr. Norms dealership in Chicago was there! It is a rare R6 red Daytona. It was there as display only! There was another Daytona in the lobby! It was the long time Cal Anderson T5 HEMI 4 speed Daytona. It was at the Mopar Nationals this year and has since changed hands to an owner out west for a reported $500,000. I am told that the car has a warranty block and maybe that and the economy has held the price down? Last was a Superbird in the lobby that was a twin to ours except it was a 4bbl car. I have attached some pictures of the wing cars for your viewing pleasure!

tan top

more intresting stuff MJ  , good pictures  :yesnod: see that MR norms Daytona is missing the windshield pillar aero mouldings  :scratchchin: wonder if  that was how it was delivered :shruggy: :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

gtx6970

If I may,Does the dist cap have printing cast into the top of the cap ?

Not doubting it, but I can't say I've ever seen a production line cap that wasn't smooth (rule only applies to the single point cap. as the dual point 2585000 cap should have ' made in usa ' cast in the top .

it looks like the date on the box is 27th week of 1976 , which would  make sense as thats about when they started showing up was the mid 70's

Yet, I have several of the smooth caps in what appears to be 37th week of 1977 boxes.

so,,,,,,maybe I'm wrong

ps, the black 1970 Charger is,,, I believe Bill Fahey's car. member TX9charger , 440 six pack 4 speed , black ext and burnt orange interior

learical1

Just curious, but what kind of tires are you running on your trailer?
Bruce

clownin mopar

John,
You have a beautiful and very correct car. I'm puzzled at how you didn't receive a perfect 1000 points like the Red Charger from The Finer Details. After all, after seeing this thread, it's obvious you have all NOS date coded parts on your car. The Charger was merely a lesson in reproduction parts and had many small items that were incorrect.
Are there politics involved here or what???

Mopar John

Quote from: tan top on November 23, 2010, 04:18:36 AM
more intresting stuff MJ  , good pictures  :yesnod: see that MR norms Daytona is missing the windshield pillar aero mouldings  :scratchchin: wonder if  that was how it was delivered :shruggy: :scratchchin: :popcrn:
tan top,
The Mr. Norms daytona does have some controversy sorrounding some of it's details! In addition to the windshield pillar aero mouldings there is an R/T emblem on the tail panel and a 1968 knob on the console mounted auto shifter??

Mopar John

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 23, 2010, 07:12:34 AM
If I may,Does the dist cap have printing cast into the top of the cap ?

Not doubting it, but I can't say I've ever seen a production line cap that wasn't smooth (rule only applies to the single point cap. as the dual point 2585000 cap should have ' made in usa ' cast in the top .

it looks like the date on the box is 27th week of 1976 , which would  make sense as thats about when they started showing up was the mid 70's

Yet, I have several of the smooth caps in what appears to be 37th week of 1977 boxes.

so,,,,,,maybe I'm wrong

ps, the black 1970 Charger is,,, I believe Bill Fahey's car. member TX9charger , 440 six pack 4 speed , black ext and burnt orange interior
gtx6970,

The Daytona has a single point distributor. The cap in the picture is a sore subject and long gone! When we first got the Daytona running and were fighting some gremlins we discovered that the distributor cap had a crack in it@#$%^&*()! I paid good money for that NOS cap but had it too long to return it! I have kept all the boxes for a NOS display in my shop some day and have taken a better picture for you.
Thanks! John

Mopar John

Quote from: learical1 on November 23, 2010, 10:21:22 AM
Just curious, but what kind of tires are you running on your trailer?
learical1,
I am running Goodyear Marathon 8ply D rating tires that were made in Canada. Never had any problems till this flat. I have put alot of loaded miles on them this year!

Mopar John

Quote from: clownin mopar on November 23, 2010, 10:28:09 AM
John,
You have a beautiful and very correct car. I'm puzzled at how you didn't receive a perfect 1000 points like the Red Charger from The Finer Details. After all, after seeing this thread, it's obvious you have all NOS date coded parts on your car. The Charger was merely a lesson in reproduction parts and had many small items that were incorrect.
Are there politics involved here or what???
clownin mopar,
 If you were there and saw both cars I will let you be the ultimate judge of the two cars! With that said I will give you a little insight. That show had several hundred very nice cars that had to be judged in about 6 hours! They had many teams of judges with various backgrounds and experience. They same judges did not do the red 68 Charger and my 69 Charger Daytona?? So right there were some variations. I left the judges alone and let them give me their opinion of my Daytona. I don't think it was the same scenario during the judging of the 68 Charger? When the judges started I asked them some questions 1) would you like to see the original broadcast sheet? NO!
2) Would you like to see my list of NOS parts used during the restoration of this car? NO! So, it is my opinion that the judges didn't care about NOS parts and reproduction parts were ok! At the 1,000 point level I would have expected differant! One last comment here. The Finer Details is a major sponsor of that show! It is no coincidence one of their cars was in the entry lobby and they had the big display right when you walk in!

Both at the Mopar Nationals and at this show the bulk of the deductions were for DUST! That is why I made the statement that I was getting better at getting the Daytona ready for judging! Some of the deductions at this show were dust in the ash tray, dust in the radio speaker grille and dust between the letters in the CHARGER emblems on the roof pillars! I had cleaned the CHARGER emblems on the roof pillars with q-tips and 100 psi air before the show! But in a quick wipe down before the judging some show floor dust got in there!@#$%^&*()!
Mopar John

jonw29

John just a little FYI.I went back through the pics and I saw where you had your car tied down.I noticed that you had your rear straps straight.I make it a point to always cross my straps.It helps to keep the car in place.I noticed that you said that you had troublr with your car moving around.Not trying to tell anyone how to do it.That is just how I do it

Mopar John

Quote from: jonw29 on November 23, 2010, 01:22:13 PM
John just a little FYI.I went back through the pics and I saw where you had your car tied down.I noticed that you had your rear straps straight.I make it a point to always cross my straps.It helps to keep the car in place.I noticed that you said that you had troublr with your car moving around.Not trying to tell anyone how to do it.That is just how I do it
jonw29,
Thanks for the tip! The moving around is the rear part of the body going up and down. The rear axle and tires stay put along with the front that I secure around the strut rods and sway bar.
Thanks! Mopar John

tan top

Quote from: Mopar John on November 23, 2010, 12:52:45 PM
Quote from: tan top on November 23, 2010, 04:18:36 AM
tan top,
The Mr. Norms daytona does have some controversy sorrounding some of it's details! In addition to the windshield pillar aero mouldings there is an R/T emblem on the tail panel and a 1968 knob on the console mounted auto shifter??

i see R/T on the tail lamp panel :scratchchin:  intresting
thanks  for the info MJ :cheers: :2thumbs:

Charger Stuff 

learical1

Bruce