News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

DOOR PANELS!
Here are a few pictures of the prep work before the door panels were installed!

Mopar John

SEAT BELTS!
Troy sent the seat belts to SNAKE OYL where they totally restored everything and used NOS webbing!

Mopar John

REAR ASH TRAYS!
  All I could find were NOS ash tray bezels. Troy took the ash trays apart and had them rechromed! It all turned out great! In my next post I plan to cover the exhaust system! ENJOY!

MRCHARGER

I reference this thread more than any other on this site. Thanks for taking the time to be so detailed with information. Your project continues to be very helpful on my restoration!

Mopar John

Quote from: MRCHARGER on September 26, 2010, 08:06:25 PM
I reference this thread more than any other on this site. Thanks for taking the time to be so detailed with information. Your project continues to be very helpful on my restoration!
MRCHARGER,
Thanks for the kind comments! It that type of thing that makes it all worth while! More to follow!

Mopar John

EXHAUST SYSTEM!
I have tried for about an hour now to post this part! I will try again soon! I keep getting error messages and then the pictures have to be renamed! The exhaust system has been a pain the whole time as you will find out!

Mopar John

EXHAUST SYSTEM PART 2!
We'll I finally got the pictures to post so I will tell you what you just looked at! In the early eighties I was selling at the Chicagoland Mopar Connection swaps at Kohller Dodge. I would take my proceeds to their parts department and buy NOS parts for my Daytona! I had bought a complete exhaust system! When I took the Daytona and all my parts down to Paul Jacobs shop for him and Troy to look over they informed me that the H-pipe, mufflers, hangers and tailpipes were poor reproductions #$*(&*()! OUCH! The only good parts were the NOS old style chrome tips! During the restoration I hunted exhaust parts and only found a pair of NOS hangers and tailpipe clamps from Paul Jacobs and a pair of NOS chrome tip hanger cushions from Frank Mitchell! When time was running out Troy and I made a decision to order a Gardner exhaust system. They will not sell pieces! They have the best bends in their pipe when compared to the originals! When the parts arrived Troy informed me that the pipes were aluminzied@#$%^&*(! This may be good for most but not for an OE restoration! So Troy had to remove the coating for the exhaust to look correct! The first three pictures were of the H-pipe as shipped and the last one had the coating removed to look like the original!

Mopar John

EXHAUST SYSTEM PART 3!
This batch of pictures shows more of the exhaust system! The first picture is of the NOS hangers that I purchased from Paul Jacobs. The second picture is of the NOS tips with the correct welds on the hanger tabs! The third picture is a shot of the rear of the Daytona with the exhaust installed and the last picture is of the mufflers and H-pipe installed! Also a few points of interest here. The original exhaust manifolds were used and Troy found enough NOS parts to rebuild the heat riser! In addition to that Paul Jacobs came up with an NOS muffler after Talladega and we found a close dated mate and installed them just weeks before the Mopar Nationals! I have found one NOS tailpipe and hope to find the other and install those also! ENJOY!

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 28, 2010, 08:47:52 AM
:2thumbs:
Quote from: hemi68charger on September 28, 2010, 08:47:52 AM
:2thumbs:

Troy,
You are always on top of things here!
I found a couple of pictures of the heat riser rebuild on the passengers side exhaust manifold!

Mopar John

DRIVESHAFT!
You will notice that in the last picture showing the exhaust system installed that there is no driveshaft! This was to make the exhaust installation easier! The first and original driveshaft was not good enough for the restoration! This was from the deep pitting that took place while the Daytona was stored on the ground in the salvage yard! Troy called me one day looking for a better driveshaft. I removed the driveshaft from the R4 Daytona and it was all original including the u-joints and all the clips. This batch of pictures will show the restoration of that driveshaft.
The first picture shows it in the press getting the original u-joints disassembled. The second picture shows all the clips and u-joint parts all disassembled. The third picture shows the clips and the factory cross tie that held the rear u-joint caps on till it was assembled in the pinion yoke. Originals with the clips they hook on to are getting hard to find! The last picture is a close up of the original u-joint bodies. The driveshaft tube was sent to REDI-STRIP and derusted and then polished and reassembled. This is the driveshaft that was in the Daytona at Talladega. Some time after that a fellow forum member offered me an NOS driveshaft!

Mopar John

DRIVESHAFT PART 2!
Here are some pictures of the 40 year old NOS driveshaft. It was cleaned up and installed before the Mopar Nationals! You will see the original factory grease pencil mark and the original rear joint with cross tie! The protective cardboard sleeve was still on the transmission yoke!

Mopar John

WINDSHIELD!
All the glass in the Daytona is original with correct logo's and date codes except the winshield. The original windshield had one chip that could have been repaired but was clouded around the edges. A new replacement was purchased through Dave Walden's ECS with correct logo's and date codes! I have attached a couple of pictures showing the installation! There is also one of it installed with the Talladega track ready decal! ENJOY!

notabird

John,
looking forward to seeing you and Linda at Churchill Downs this weekend.
We have the Daytona loaded and ready to go.
Brent

Mopar John

Brent,
Looking forward to spending some time with you and Sherri this weekend! We are picking up our Daytona at Troy's shop on the way down in the morning! The weather outlook is good and should be a great event! I have emptied the chip in our camera!
John

Mopurr

I am so ready for a nice weekend.

Looking forward to seeing you both and having some fun at Churchill.

Camera will be ready

Have a safe trip.....see you tomorrow.

Mopar John

2010 LOUISVILLE CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE!
Back at our first show with the Daytona in 2009 Talladega we met artist David Snyder. During our conversation on Tim and Pams front porch he asked Linda and I if we would show our Daytona at the 2010 Louisville Concours D'Elegance? I asked him if he thought the Daytona was worthy? He said yes and that he would have to nominate us for this show. Then we would be sent an application and have to fill it out and send it in with a couple of pictures of the Daytona. I did this in May and they were to pick the entries by August! We got our acceptance letter back a week later! A week ago Thursday we left at 5am for Troy Angelly's shop for a visit and pick up the Daytona. All went well and we loaded up and headed for Louisville! About 50 miles out on a steep grade a guy in a Jeep is pointing back at the trailer? Linda looks in her rear view mirror and sees smoke coming off the trailer tires@#$%*(! I pull over real quick! I didn't want that tire to catch fire and burn the trailer and or the Daytona! I have attached a picture that Linda took of me changing the tire. She said it only took me about 10 minutes! I am glad I had a good spare, lugwrench and jack! There is also a picture of the shredded tire!
  The rest of the trip went well and we dropped off the trailer in the secure lot at the show. We then checked into the hotel and went to the Friday night BBQ. It was a good time with great food! Saturday we slept in and after lunch we went out to the show and checked things out. I went over all the lights on the Daytona and fixed a problem. We then went back to the hotel to get ready for the big Saturday night GALA. This was a cocktail hour followed by a fancy dinner and auction! Linda had a surprise for me! She had bought a new dress for the dinner! The attire was suits for the guys and cocktail dresses for the ladies. When Linda opened her garment bag she was shocked! She had brought the WRONG dress@#$%^&*()! WOW! Luckily the one she brought was the original one for the gala! I have attached a picture of Linda in her dress by a ROLLS ROYCE and another of me all cleaned up in the Churchill Downs courtyard at the start of the cocktail party!

Mopar John

CONCOURS PART 2!
At the end of the cocktail hour the official trumpet player for the Kentucky Derby played his famous " CALL TO THE POST"! This was our signal to go up to Millionares Row for dinner! We had an awesome dinner and desert with live entertainment. The dinner was followed by an auction to support the Brooklawn Childrens charity. The first item was the use of a Rolls Royce for the Kentucky Derby weekend. This also included a traditional hat for the winning lady. I have attached a picture of the trumpet player who came out on the balcony and the model with the auction hat. Sunday morning we got up early and checked out. We had to have the Daytona ready to go on the show field at 8am. I had to drive through a tunnel under the horse race track that had some water in it!@$%! They must be used to this and had boards down so the cars wouldn't get all messed up! We followed the fine staff to our show area and set up. We were in the Aero Warriors class. There were 3 Daytonas and 3 Superbirds! I have attached a picture of the class banner and the Aero Warriors.

Bob T

Sounds like a great weekend John, thanks for more photos on a great thread  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Mopar John

Quote from: Bob T on October 09, 2010, 04:32:40 PM
Sounds like a great weekend John, thanks for more photos on a great thread  :2thumbs:
Thanks Bob!
  Here are a few more pictures from the weekend. There was a fashion show where they drove the models up on stage in various classic cars. The models would get out and walk the run way and then be driven off and the next would drive up. I have pictures of a couple and one was brought on stage by a very nice 1970 Dodge Charger R/T possibly a member here? Speaking of models there is a picture of our own Sherri Evans in her DERBY hat by her and husband Brent's Daytona! The last picture is of the crystal trophy's that they gave out!

Mopar John

VENT WINDOW ASSEMBLIES!
Finally back to the restoration! This batch of pictures will be on the vent window assemblies. I have heard many horror stories about guys sending the assemblies out for plating and them coming back in pieces! If you have never done this or don't have the right stuff it can be a nightmare! When Troy got the parts back from Paul's Plating he reassembled them and installed the vent glass. These pictures show the vent window frames being assembled and ready to install in the Daytona doors!

Mopar John

MISC ENGINE COMPARTMENT PARTS!
Soon I will post a picture of the engine compartment and go around and explain all the parts. In this post I will go over some parts that can't be seen in that picture. First up is the pressure side power steering hose. Troy cleaned up and used the original hose. I have apicture of each end. Next is the NOS fuel hose clamps. There is a picture of them loose and one showing the fuel line coming in to the fuel pump.

Mopar John

MISC ENGINE COMPARTMENT PARTS 2!
Next up would be the original Prestolite horns. I have a few pictures of them unrestored with the B5 overspray from Creative on them and one of them cleaned up and bead blasted. I can't find the one of them painted? SORRY!

Mopar John

MISC ENGINE COMPARTMENT PARTS 3!
In this batch of photos you will see one of the top radiator hose. Troy was able to clean up the originals and just repaint the part numbers! You can spot originals fairly easy since they have more texture to them than the repros and later made hoses! Next up is the fan and clutch. Troy bought an NOS clutch in Carlisle! It was one of the most expensive NOS parts I purchased for the restoration! There is a picture of it with the sales tag still on it! The original fan blade was tweaked and Paul Jcobs came up with a NOS one of these! The last picture shows all the parts installed on the engine. You can also see the restored alternator. I will post some pictures of it next!

Mopar John

MISC ENGINE COMPARTMENT PARTS 4!
The original date coded alternator was also sent to DIXIE restorations. They did a complete restoration and I have attached front and back view pictures! You can see in the pictures where they saved the original 69 casting dates on both halves also! When I post again it will be a tour of the engine bay going over the parts one by one! Stay tuned!