News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

TRANSMISSION!
That is it for engine pictures for now. The reason being is it will be mated with the transmission next. So I have to show you the transmission before and after before it's mated to the engine! This first batch is of the transmission before restoration. The first picture is of the driverside. The second picture is of the top front. The third picture is of the dipstick and the last picture is of the top passengers side.

Mopar John

TRANSMISSION PART 2!
This batch of pictures are more of the before pictures. The first one is of the tailshaft factory paint marking. The second picture is of the main case factory paint marking. The last two pictures are of the case from the drivers side and passengers side.

Mopar John

TRANSMISSION PART 3!
After a lot of degreasing by Troy he had to find a way to give the weathered case a fresh correct look. This took a lot of time and phone calls. Once he got it right the case and tailshaft were sent out and rebuilt by his transmission expert. The first picture is of the NOS rear seal that was installed. The second picture is of the passengers side of the case and the NOS filler tube. The third picture is of the transmission assembly ready to mate to the engine. The next batch of pictures will be of the engine and transmission back together again!

Mopar John

ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY!
What a differance in that transmission! This batch will show it mated to the engine and more! The first picture is of the engine and transmission bolted together from the rear view! The second picture is of the assembly from the passengers side. The third picture is of the assembly from the drivers side with the restored numbers matching and correct date code starter installed! The last picture is a close up of all the transmission lines, brackets and reverse light wire harness installed! All I can say is WOW! This assembly was now ready to be dropped in the freshly restored K member with front suspension! This is it for todays pictures! ENJOY!

Mopar John

STARTER!
Just a short post today! I think when you look at all these before and after pictures it gives you a general idea of what went on. But in reality it was a lot more difficult. I would like to use the starter as an example. We were very lucky that the B5 Daytona still had it's original starter or we thought. When Troy sent it and the alternator in we got the bad news that the steel barrel end was too pitted to be restored @#$%^&*()! That part has a date code on it. In addition during disassembly one of the long bolts that hold the two ends together snapped off @#$&*()@%^&* AGAIN! So I get a call from Troy and were out a starter! I crawled under my 1969 Coronet 4 door parts car and it had a newer starter. I crawled under the R4 Daytona and it's starter had been replaced#$%^&*(! So it was time to start watching EBAY and putting it on my want lists. I found a Mopar guy locally who had a fresh starter with a good aluminum snout end for $100.00. Just when time was running out Paul Jacobs again came to the rescue with a starter from his core stash that had a good barrel end also with the right date code! WOW!
So what looked easy really wasn't! It is also getting hard to find components that havn't been blasted several times and have very weak numbers and logos! My advice is start looking now if you plan on doing something like this! Looking for parts in your leasure is a lot more enjoyable than when the car is going together!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on September 02, 2010, 10:03:53 AM
                                                            STARTER!
Just a short post today!...

Short reply....................  Cool.  :2thumbs:     :icon_smile_big:

Couldn't resist John... Sorry............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger-Bodie

THis stuff is really awesome,and I can happily admit that stuff like that makes it much easier to build a clone to my liking. Brand new stuff looks great right out of the box for the most part.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mopar John

FINAL ASSEMBLY!
We'll not really! Today's pictures will show the bottom of the Daytona with everything on just before the undercoating! Our Daytona was a undercoat/hoodpad car. This first batch shows the Daytona body up on a lift with plastic covering the paint. The second picture is of drivers inner fender rear and the NOS splash shield. The third and forth pictures are more of the drivers inner fender taped for undercoating.

Mopar John

GETTING READY FOR UNDERCOATING PART 2!
The first picture is of the transmission tunnel. The second picture is of the passengers inner fender rear. I could not find another NOS splash shield for this side and bought an excellant used one from TEXAS ACRES. The third and fourth pictures are more of the passengers inner fender.

Mopar John

GETTING READY FOR UNDERCOATING PART 3!
  I would like to mention here that I wasn't real happy covering all the excellant details with undercoating! The tradeoff for me is that to be correct the bottom of the Daytona wouldn't be shiny blue like many over restored cars! The undercoating would basically cover the unpainted portion of the body. This batch continues on with more undercoating prep work. The first picture is of the passengers side torsion bar mount area. The second picture is of the drivers side torsion bar mount area. The third picture is of the drivers side front leaf spring mount. The last picture is of the passengers side front leaf spring mount.

Mopar John

GETTING READY FOR UNDERCOATING PART 4!
Here are some more prep pictures! The first is of the exhaust hanger bracket and the rear end hose bracket. The second picture is of the rear gas tank area. The third and fourth pictures are more of the inner fenders taped off for the undercoating!

Mopar John

UNDERCOATING!
Here are the pictures of the Daytona body after it was undercoated! Troy duplicated what was there from the factory based on the before photos he took! The first picture is a mystery to me? The second picture is of the drivers splash shield area. The third picture is of the passengers inner fender area. The last picture is of the transmission tunnel.

Mopar John

UNDERCOATING FINAL!
This is the last batch of pictures showing the undercoating! The first picture is of the gas tank area. The second picture is of the passengers rear corner. The third picture is of the floor near the drivers wheel tub. The last picture is of the floor near the passengers wheel tub. ENJOY!

tan top

nother awesome instalment  ,  good pictures ! nice work !! John thanks for sharing  :2thumbs:   :cheers: :cheers: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

XS29J8

I thought you knew better than to drive the back roads during the hot summer days to Columbus John! Now ya gotta clean all that tar off the car for your next show! :smilielol: :smilielol:

Congrats on the GOLD!

:cheers:

Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

Mopar John

Quote from: tan top on September 05, 2010, 05:43:28 PM
nother awesome instalment  ,  good pictures ! nice work !! John thanks for sharing  :2thumbs:   :cheers: :cheers: :coolgleamA:
Glad you are enjoying it!
Quote from: XS29J8 on September 05, 2010, 08:44:14 PM
I thought you knew better than to drive the back roads during the hot summer days to Columbus John! Now ya gotta clean all that tar off the car for your next show! :smilielol: :smilielol:

Congrats on the GOLD!

:cheers:

Steve
Steve,
   Now that"s funny! Thanks on the gold!

Mopar John

NHRA DIVISION 3 ET FINALS!
Last Saturday I switched the trailer from show car mode to race car mode. Sunday Linda and I along with my daughter Michelle, grand daughter Ashley and Michelle's boy friend Fred's son MAX went racing. It was a good day and the GTX ran good. We won the first round beating the guy who had just won " dialing for dollars " earlier. In the second round I must have spun a little and I was off on the run what my 60 foot time was off. I ran a 10.01 on a 9.96 and was off .045 on the 60 foot @#$%^&(! The great news is at the end of the day I offically qualified for the NHRA DIVISION 3 ET FINALS in INDY! They just finished up the US NATIONALS there and are tearing that down and getting ready for the LITTLE GUYS and our series! This is where the top cars from each track battle for a divisional champion! I can't wait. This weekend we are going to practice eighth mile racing! This is due to about half the tracks being eigth mile. So they alternate back and forth at the ET FINALS. This year will be eigth mile in my class PRO ET. With this, the past year has been my best in the hobby EVER!

Mopar John

REAR SUSPENSION AND REAR END INSTALLATION!
Now that the Daytona body was painted and undercoated it was time to install the rear suspension and rear end! The first picture in this batch shows the restored leaf spring shackles and u bolts ready for assembly! The second picture is of the passengers leaf spring with the front mounted to the body. The third picture shows the drivers side leaf spring with the front mounted to the body. The last picture is of the rear end bolted to the springs and the original restored rear shocks mounted from the top!

Mopar John

REAR SUSPENSION AND REAR END INSTALLATION PART 2!
  The first picture in this batch shows the rear end being jacked up into place so the shackles could be bolted in out back! The second picture is of the rear end assembly and springs installed! The third picture is of the emegency brake cables being installed. The last picture is of the drivers side brake drum installed. No paint on this one since it was a full hubcap car!

Mopar John

REAR SUSPENSION AND REAR END INSTALLATION PART 3!
The first picture in this batch is of the passengers side drum installed. The second picture is of the passengers side suspension all assembled! The third picture is of the drivers side suspension all assembled! The last picture is a rear view of the suspension and rear end installed! WOW!

Mopar John

REAR SUSPENSION AND REAR END INSTALLATION FINAL!
This is the last batch of pictures I have for the rear suspension and rear end installation! The first picture is of the NOS drum washers used to keep them from falling off on the assembly line! The second picture is of the drivers side drum installed and prepped. The last picture is of the passengers side drum installed and prepped. At this point the Daytona was ready for wheels and tires and to be set on the floor! In my next post I will show the front suspension assembly and installation including the engine and transmission!

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION WITH ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION!!
Things are really getting serious now! Today's pictures will show the front suspension along with the engine and transmission being assembled! Troy put the Daytona together similar to the way it was done at the factory when the Daytona was built! The first picture shows the K member assembly on it's dolly. The second picture is of the K member positioned for assembly. The third picture is a drivers side view of the K member along with the engine and transmission going in! The last picture is another view from the front! WOW!!

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION WITH ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION PART 2!
  The first picture in this batch is of the K member with engine and transmission going in from the passengers side view! The second picture shows the assembly installed with suspension from the drivers side. The third picture is the same but from the passengers side. The last picture is a close up view of the passengers side suspension from the back side all assembled!

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION WITH ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION PART 3!
  The first picture in this batch is another close up of the drivers side suspension assembled form the back side. The second picture is again of the drivers side even more detail! The third picture is the same view from the passengers side. The last picture is of the passengers side upper and lower control arms! That old nasty 727 pan was just to keep the dirt out until Troy got the NOS one installed later!

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION WITH ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION FINAL!
This will be the last batch of pictures for today! The first picture is of the drivers side upper and lower control arms. The second picture is of the fuel pump area with the engine installed. The third picture is of the drivers side suspension with the torsion bar installed. The last picture is of the passengers side suspension with the torsion bar installed. Notice the factory paint daub's that were recreated on the torsion bar adjuster tabs! At this point I felt we were going to Talladega with a complete Daytona!