News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Congrats on the award, John!

Lots of work to get to that point, and you should be proud of the results.

:2thumbs:

nascarxx29

You dont see many 70 FM 3 Panther Pink/ Moulin Rouge Super Bees .Ive only seen 3-4 of them .Of 39 Made?
http://www.uscartool.com/img/70PinkBee/image_1.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on August 17, 2010, 11:33:52 AM
Congrats on the award, John!

Lots of work to get to that point, and you should be proud of the results.

:2thumbs:

THANKS Gene! Having traveled a somewhat similar path you would know first hand of all the work involved to bring a dead Daytona back to life! Linda and I are very happy how things worked out!

69_500

Congrats John. Sorry I didn't make it over to the show this weekend. My son had a baseball tournament and we spent all weekend at the ball diamond instead of a car show field.

How long after the show do they tell you the actual scores from the OE category? Or did they already let you know what they didn't like on the car?

Mopar John

Quote from: 69_500 on August 18, 2010, 05:05:23 PM
Congrats John. Sorry I didn't make it over to the show this weekend. My son had a baseball tournament and we spent all weekend at the ball diamond instead of a car show field.

How long after the show do they tell you the actual scores from the OE category? Or did they already let you know what they didn't like on the car?
Dan,
Hopefully your son had a good tournament! I was told by head judge Keith Rohm that I would get a detailed breakdown of my score after he gets his crops in. He mentioned that would probably be October. When we went up for the awards we got an empty frame for the OE certificate. We are going to receive some type of document that will be hard to copy. So for right now all I have is the picture I took of the judges winners board. My guess the points that we lost would be on the minimal reproduction parts that were on the Daytona.
Thanks! John

hemi68charger

Way to go John & Linda !!... Great updates and pictures............   :2thumbs:

Concerning the lower backing plate-2-ball joint, I see that you have your lower castle nuts with cotter pins on the brake side of the backing plate instead of the outside against the lower ball joint....... Is that the way it's supposed to go or was there a variety of ways that bolt/nut could be installed? The reason I ask is when the time comes to rebuild the 500's front end, I want it correct....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 19, 2010, 12:49:36 PM
Is that the way it's supposed to go or was there a variety of ways that bolt/nut could be installed?

Here is the detail for drum brake cars (although this is a '70 document, the 1969 Engineering Graphic shows it the with the same orientation) :

Disc brake cars were done the opposite way, BTW.

With that being said, it's certainly possible that a drum brake car had its bolts/nuts installed "backward" from that drawing.  It all comes back to the documentation done at disassembly...

Mopar John

Concerning the lower backing plate-2-ball joint, I see that you have your lower castle nuts with cotter pins on the brake side of the backing plate instead of the outside against the lower ball joint....... Is that the way it's supposed to go or was there a variety of ways that bolt/nut could be installed? The reason I ask is when the time comes to rebuild the 500's front end, I want it correct....

Troy

Troy,
Good observation! This time I had the Daytona here so I could go check it out! When I got under the B5 Daytona the lower ball joint bolts had been reversed from the initial pictures. The nuts and cotter pins are on the lower ball joint on the outside and not the spindle inside the drum. I also checked the R4 Daytona which is undisturbed and it's the same way!
Quote from: hemigeno on August 19, 2010, 01:29:19 PM
Is that the way it's supposed to go or was there a variety of ways that bolt/nut could be installed?

Here is the detail for drum brake cars (although this is a '70 document, the 1969 Engineering Graphic shows it the with the same orientation) :

Disc brake cars were done the opposite way, BTW.

With that being said, it's certainly possible that a drum brake car had its bolts/nuts installed "backward" from that drawing.  It all comes back to the documentation done at disassembly...

Thanks Gene!
The drawing is correct and that's the way we had them for the judges at the Nats!

EV2DEMON

Hey Uncle John, Congratulations to you and Linda on a job well done. The car is absolutely beautiful! To see how far it has come since I remember seeing it sit in the corner of the barn covered in dust is amazing!

I also wanted to thank you for your hospitality over the weekend. You know how hot it was, and it was nice for Amanda and Brooke to have a place to relax.

Now, if only I could get one of my rides finished...

Mopar John

Quote from: EV2DEMON on August 19, 2010, 05:13:10 PM
Hey Uncle John, Congratulations to you and Linda on a job well done. The car is absolutely beautiful! To see how far it has come since I remember seeing it sit in the corner of the barn covered in dust is amazing!

I also wanted to thank you for your hospitality over the weekend. You know how hot it was, and it was nice for Amanda and Brooke to have a place to relax.

Now, if only I could get one of my rides finished...
John,
Welcome to the site! It was great to have family and friends there! I think Brooke really liked our ice water spray fan! Those who knew the Daytona before the restoration are among those most surprised by the restoration!        I know just the place to finish up that EV2DEMON! You know you and your family are welcome any time we don't have to meet out of town!
UNCLE JOHN

Mopar John

THE ENGINE!!
I intended to have the restoration story finished before the Mopar Nationals and things just didn't work out! But the things that got in the way were good! So today I am going to post about the engine. When you see these pictures you will wonder how it ever ran again! I was going to do what ever it took to get that numbers matching power plant back to life! I will start with some before pictures. The first is of the engine ready to come out of the Daytona. The second is of the engine out of the Daytona. The third is of the passengers side valve cover area. The last is of the drivers side valve cover area.

Mopar John

THE ENGINE PART 2!
This batch of pictures shows more of the engine before disassembly! The first picture is of the drivers side front. The second picture is of the drivers side rear. The third picture is a close up of the choke area and the last picture is of the coil area.

Mopar John

ENGINE PART 3!
This batch of pictures show what Troy found upon disassembly! The first picture is of the top front of the engine. The second picture is of the drivers side rocker arms. The third picture is of a passengers side intake port @#$%^&*!! WOW! The last picture is of the passengers side heat crossover port @#$&*( AGAIN!

Mopar John

ENGINE PART 4!
This batch of pictures show more disassembly! This engine looked like it came from out of a shipwreck! The hood had been left up a lot while the Daytona was in the salvage yard! The air cleaner acted like a funnel to get rain water down into the engine!$%^&(*! The first picture is of a drivers side intake port. The second picture is of an intake port close up. The third picture is of the short block on the passengers side. The last picture is of the short block on the drivers side. Troy told me when he took the heads off that there was still water in there even though it had been stored inside the last 20 or so years?

Mopar John

ENGINE PART 5!
Here are some more disassembly pictures! The first one in this batch shows what a 402 oilpan looks like when a junkyard payloader uses it to lift the Daytona !@#$%^*()! OUCH! The second picture shows the windage tray also bent up from the payloader! The third picture is of the bottom end of the engine. The last picture is of the water pump housing.

Mopar John

ENGINE PART 6!
This is the last batch of disassembly pictures and by now you have a pretty good idea of what shape the original engine was in! WOW! The first picture in this batch is of the waterpump itself. The last two pictures shows the sides of the block with the core plugs removed. YUK! Troy believes the Daytona was in a flood while setting on the ground because there was a stain line about half way up the starter. So rain water from the top and flood water from the bottom@^&*(! :rotz:
On my next posting will be the engine assembly! Stay tuned!

Mopar John

ENGINE ASSEMBLY!
Troy took the block, crank and heads to his machine shop guy and had them redone. We added hardened seats to the heads for all the differant fuels that are used now. Troy did the assembly work in house! This batch of pictures shows the 440 engine going back together. The first picture is of the fresh bottom end. The second picture is of the bottom end and now the timing cover balancer and oil pump installed. The third picture shows the nice replacement 402 pan I found installed. The last picture is with the fresh 906 heads on!

Mopar John

ENGINE ASSEMBLY PART 2!
This will be the last batch of engine assembly pictures for now! The rest will be with the final assembly pictures. The first picture is of the intake manifold now installed. The second picture is of the assembled long block looking at the drivers side. The third picture is of the long block looking at the passengers side. The last picture shows the valve covers and water pump installed. What a differance!

70Sbird

John, congrats on OE GOLD!
I sure am enjoying this thread, I can't wait to see your Daytona again.
Keep up the good work
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

Mopar John

Quote from: 70Sbird on August 20, 2010, 09:52:03 AM
John, congrats on OE GOLD!
I sure am enjoying this thread, I can't wait to see your Daytona again.
Keep up the good work
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Thanks Scott! We hope to take it to more shows as my work schedule allows!

Mopar John

Troy
Troy,
I had to take some pictures out by my shop this morning. So I crawled under the Daytona and took one of the passengers side lower ball joint bolts for you. I don't know when they were reversed but this is how they were when the car was judged. This is how they should be! Good eye!
Thanks! John

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on August 20, 2010, 10:01:30 AM

Troy
Troy,
I had to take some pictures out by my shop this morning. So I crawled under the Daytona and took one of the passengers side lower ball joint bolts for you. I don't know when they were reversed but this is how they were when the car was judged. This is how they should be! Good eye!
Thanks! John

:2thumbs:  That's what I'm talkin' 'bout !!!!   Story is great.. Makes me wanna go out and write the '917' and '5' on my valve covers......   ;D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

ENGINE CONTINUED!
Sorry about the long delay! My computor was overloaded with all the Daytona pictures and came to a crawl! So in between work and everything else I had to delete a bunch of pictures and other items to make room for the new picture CD. I have just downloaded 300 more pictures of the final assembly dated 10-15-09! So I will continue on with the engine assembly. The first picture is of the engine masked for paint with the waterpump and exhaust manifolds now on from the front view. The second picture is a back view. The third picture is your first view of the engine painted from the front passengers side. The last picture in this batch is of the engine painted from the drivers side down low.

Mopar John

ENGINE PART 2!
  In this batch there is more of the freshly painted 440 and parts being added! The first picture is of the freshly painted engine from the bottom. Notice the light amount of paint on this part. The second picture is of the NOS J11Y Champion plugs. The third picture is of the drivers side motor mount and spark plugs installed. The last picture is of the passengers side motor mount and spark plugs installed.

Mopar John

ENGINE PART 3!
In this batch of pictures you will see the engine on the hoist ready to be mated to the fresh numbers matching transmission! The first picture is from the passengers side. The second picture is from the back side. The third picture is of the fuel pump and vapor separator installed. The last picture is of the restored power steering pump and NOS chrome oil cap now on the drivers side valve cover.