News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Service manual

Started by G-man, December 07, 2009, 06:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Hi

Where can I buy a propper 68 Charger service manual?

I know ive seen someone own one and its pretty thick and has everything in it, where each nut and bolt goes, diff, exhausts, engine, interior absolutely every part that makes up the car is in this service manual im thinking off... since i want to start to learn how to work on my own car cause of getting ripped off by everybody, its time to learn myself and the hell with all these idiot mechanics and restoration shops. Why pay them 3000-4000 to do my car when I can buy tools for that amount and do it myself and have tools for the rest of my life there-after which is basicaly a free tool kit after i do the car by myself.

So... where can i get this awesome manual from that will really help me???

KS71owner

Year One has reprints of the original service manuals for most years...I'd try there first. Also check out swap meets - that's where I found mine (or rather, the guy who had one found me). The original manuals are a fantastic reference tool, especially the wiring diagrams.

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Ghoste

You can also get it on cd-rom which is a little more a a PITA to work through but very handy as far as being able to just bring up the info you need to the shop and not worry about getting it greasy or torn.

375instroke

I got a '68 Charger FSM for $35 on Craigslist.  Pay about $40 with shipping on eBay for an original, or $60 with shipping for a repro.  There are a few other places besides just Year One for the reprints.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

grdprx

I got one from Year One, VERY useful!  Although, like Ghoste said, I hate to get it dirty...  So I photo copy pages I need for reference around the car that may get dirty.  LOL

Ghoste

If it makes any difference, I have some of the original fsm's and I didn't want to get my 40+ year old shop manuals all beat up so I bought a couple of the reprints that are widely available.  My reprints seem to be of a much cheaper quality paper than the originals and with poorer binding as well.  In short, it wasn't long before they were all falling apart and looked like crap.  That was when I made the decision to get the cd-rom ones so I could just print off the pages I need or sometimes just leave the laptop up in the shop. 

grdprx

Interesting info Ghoste, suppose it makes sense though..

myk

You said that the cd's are a PITA to work through.  How so?  My reprint manual broke apart years ago...

Ghoste

I just find it easier to flip quickly to a page is all.  I suppose I've also read through those Chrysler service manuals enough times that I have a bit of an idea where to flip to as soon as I pick up the book.  The cd on the other hand, requires it to be loaded, and then moved ahead to the page you want and all of those oh so inconvenient buttons to push. :lol:  In spite of the amount of time I spend on here I am not Mr. Computer.  My PITA comment is based on a personal bias.