News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine stand and bolts?

Started by FLG, December 06, 2009, 03:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Want recommendations on an engine stand that will eventually hold a fully dressed 440. I dont want to spend a ton but i dont want garbage.

Also what grade bolts am i to use? I heard some people say grade 8 some say grade 5.

Thanks!

Frank

471_Magnum

I use grade 8's, but 5's should be fine. Bolts are not what are going to fail.

I bought a "heavy duty" stand from Rural King supposedly rated at 1000 lbs. With a 440 on it, the back plate started deflecting once I installed the iron heads. It was sagging pretty badly.

Before my next iron-head big block build, I'll be having some gussets welded on to the plate.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Ghoste

Yep, what he said.  If you get the 50 dollar special from Harbor Freight then all the special hardware in the world isn't going to support it.  If you got the one that you think you spent too much money on, chances are you'l be just fine. :Twocents:

FLG

So this guy would be a nono

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W41031/?image=large

What about hardware? What length and grade?

471_Magnum

Quote from: FLG on December 06, 2009, 05:37:58 PM

That one doesn't look too bad, but I'd like to know how thick that plate is.

Length of bolt required will depend on the stand. Grade 8s are overkill, but cheap insurance.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

A383Wing

Quote from: FLG on December 06, 2009, 05:37:58 PM

MY friend has a Hemi sitting on that one....no issues so far.....

69rtse4spd

Build my own, 1/4 inch 4x4 box tubing on legs & upright. Plate 1/2 inch, counterbored for 3 inch solid c.r.s. head welded on. Bolts, all Allen caps. Overkill. yes, but I tend to do that, do not like to do something twice.     

FLG

Might buy the yellow one today  :cheers:

Think this might be better?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80042/10002/-1#

Troy

I have one of my engines sitting on the Harbor Freight 2,000 pound stand (the one with 4 legs) and it seems fine. No way would I put a full 440 on a 1,000 pound stand - especially with 3 legs. The cost difference isn't much.

That yellow one looks just like the one I looked at last week at the local auto parts store. It looks like it should hold more than 1,250 pounds so I wonder how thick the metal is? Perhaps a lack of support? That one from Jeg's looks pretty heavy duty.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

And in hindsight, picking on Harbor Freight by name was a poor analogy.  My point was just to not "cheap out" and I would have better served by saying it like that.  ;)

FLG

After some consideration, i went with the one from Jegs. It seems to have the most support and also angled slightly back which should help with sag.

We shall see!

Do i go Grade 8 bolts or grade 5?

FLG

Ordered from Jegs, came out to 112$...free shipping but a handling charge (thing weighs 100lbs). Best thing is it should be here on Wednesday. Wish it came UPS but coming FedEx. My UPS guy knows most of my family/friends on the block and were i work so he always manages to get me my package, FedEx i have to hope he reads the note on the door that if no one answers he can go across the street....just hope he dosnt lug it up the steps before he reads it LOL!

FLG

The one from Jegs came!!

They forgot 1 motor mounting bracket, called them up and lady said it would be shipped and i would get it by Friday. I will call back tomorrow just to confirm, i need this thing on the stand before the weekend, need to move it around in the garage.

I know 471 was wondering about the plate, well the one from Jegs is 3/4" thick  :2thumbs:

Also, dont know why they dont show it in pic on site...but theres 6 wheels on this bad boy.

Tilar

Quote from: FLG on December 07, 2009, 03:10:42 PM
Do i go Grade 8 bolts or grade 5?

Grade 5's hold the engine in the car, so surely they'll hold them on a stand. The difference between grade 5 and grade 8 on cost is less than a small order of fries at Micky D's.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

FLG

Very true...but the engine is also sitting on a frame, not hanging. Im sure grade 5 will be fine, but for the cost of small fries...ill go get some grade 8.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

skip68

Can you post some pics with the engine on the stand when it get there ?   :2thumbs:   Thanks......
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

69bronzeT5

I have a homebuilt one....it held my 383 fine.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

FLG

Sure skip,

Should be on there tomorrow.

Bronzy,

I would have made one but this was much easier and less time consuming. For 100$ it was completely worth it IMO.