News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Incident with a 1972 Newport last night

Started by Skyview69, December 04, 2009, 10:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyview69

So, a friend has a 72 Newport that he was using for mud racing the last few years.  The time came to strip the car of usable stuff and scrap it.  I scored the Air conditiong parts and a vacuum trunk release that I will put on my 71.  :2thumbs: The car has a 400 in it and he was not sure if the engine was junk or not due to freezing weather from last season.  The last time he ran it it poored out water from underneath/radiator area.  So we figure we better check it out further before he lets the engine go....the oil looked good - no signs of water so we grabbed the jump box and hooked it up and tried starting it using a srewdriver under the hood on the starter relay.  He was the one doing that - I was standing in front of the car spraying starting fluid in the carb....the thing fired up and started moving forward into me...it was in gear!!  Luckily My buddy had his hand on the wire we rigged to the coil to start the thing...so he yanked it and kille dthe engine before I was crushed  :o 
Now we will be pulling that engine and dropping it in  his 70 Bee since there seems to be no block issues.  :scratchchin:

Anyone ever start the car from under the hood in gear?

tan top

i have used that way to check for plug spark ! must of been in gear ! as but jumping via the starter relay !! by passes the neutral safty switch :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Skyview69 on December 04, 2009, 10:32:02 AM
The car has a 400 in it and he was not sure if the engine was junk or not

If its a 400 its junk!

Todd

LeadfootBob

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 04, 2009, 11:59:03 AM
If its a 400 its junk!

Todd

Gee, give 'em to me, more stroker blocks are always nice  :D
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Skyview69

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 04, 2009, 11:59:03 AM
Quote from: Skyview69 on December 04, 2009, 10:32:02 AM
The car has a 400 in it and he was not sure if the engine was junk or not

If its a 400 its junk!

Todd

Its actually a really tough engine...won every race in its class -almost stock -he just put a 4 bbl on it instead of the original 2 barrel.  Not bad for a beater

69bronzeT5

I start my Duster the same way as you guys did with the Newport most of the time. I really gotta fix that, I wanna get in and start it with the key :rotz: I can't say I have ever started it that way in gear though....
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Skyview69

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 04, 2009, 12:43:29 PM
I start my Duster the same way as you guys did with the Newport most of the time. I really gotta fix that, I wanna get in and start it with the key :rotz: I can't say I have ever started it that way in gear though....

I know what you mean...My 71 has a short somewhere and I have to start it that way occasionally...other times the key works  :eyes:  I've actually had that one in gear a couple times...I need to be more aware.

RD

dont pay any attention to todd.. he is too oblivious to realize that the 400 block has nothing wrong with it.. it was just him being the operator that was the problem :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Todd Wilson

Quote from: RD on December 04, 2009, 08:46:52 PM
dont pay any attention to todd.. he is too oblivious to realize that the 400 block has nothing wrong with it.. it was just him being the operator that was the problem :D

So thats why your yellow charger kept overheating on the Kansas Cruise! HAHA!

Todd

moparjohn

Hey, if it's a 4 door sedan, and has a green interior, I might need stuff. MPJ
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 04, 2009, 12:43:29 PM

Run a ground wire to the starter relay where the wire from the tranny hooks to.............or get new neutral safety switch. ;D

BBD

Skyview69

Quote from: moparjohn on December 04, 2009, 09:00:58 PM
Hey, if it's a 4 door sedan, and has a green interior, I might need stuff. MPJ

IT is a 4 door sedan but had a brownish/yellow interior - not really sure what color it is....let me know soon as it is reay for the scrap yard.  We pulled the engine and trans on Saturday with .....a Backhoe!.  I must say it was the first time i ever did that!  came out fairly smooth....the engine will now go in his 70 Superbee for a while.

greenpigs

I thought the early 400's were more desirable due to a thicker casting.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free