News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PAWN STARS 1965 AC COBRA

Started by rav440, December 04, 2009, 07:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

while reading the other thread about the history ch. PAWN STARS was mentioned so i stated this thread about the COBRA .

from what they showed the expert stated that it was in fact a real 1965 COBRA because it had a CSX stamp on the frame . WTF ? how does that make it a real COBRA anyone could have stamped those 3 little letters on the frame . there has be or should be a bit more to confirm it being a real COBRA wouldnt there be a serial # alone with the CSX and shouldnt there be oreth identifing markers to confirm it as real and not a kit car . the supension to me looked to be way to moderen as did the body .

what do you guys think .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

moparstuart

VALID points
   plus shelby him self is based out of VEGAS
why the hell wouldnt rick take it to shelby himself  ?     

SHELBY AUTOMOBILES, INC.
6755 Speedway Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89115
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

NGC414

I think some of the items on the show are just "set-up" and not actual pawns. Interesting items are seeked out by the producers and staged as if they are being pawned or sold. Just my conspiracy theory.

Brock Samson

i suspect your right,.. i still enjoy the show, but stuff does sure traspire awefully convieniently.  :shruggy:

dpm68

Well Brock,  :iagree: I don't watch too much telly, but I have seen a bit of it, and things DO seem a bit preposterous, shall I say...that's my fancy word for the day - dave.

ChgrSteve67

And just like that a car goes from a shell needing almost everything to a completed race car zooming around the track.

Ponch ®

Quote from: moparstuart on December 04, 2009, 11:05:39 AM
VALID points

SHELBY AUTOMOBILES, INC.
6755 Speedway Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89115

I could be wrong (as it is often the case), but isn't there another "Shelby" car company that's not related to Carroll Shelby at all? I think that's the one that's in vegas.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ponch ® on December 04, 2009, 03:35:53 PM
VALID points

SHELBY AUTOMOBILES, INC.
6755 Speedway Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89115

I could be wrong (as it is often the case), but isn't there another "Shelby" car company that's not related to Carroll Shelby at all? I think that's the one that's in vegas.

Ok, so I was wrong. The Shelby in Vegas IS the Carroll Shelby affiliated one. I know there's another Shelby somewhere tho.

This occurred to me while looking up some stuff: They never said that it was an original 1965 Cobra, just that it was a real one. Doesn't Shelby still build those cars and stamps the CSX letters on them? So basically it's an authentic, Shelby-blessed car, but not necessarily an old one, hence the modern looking suspension components.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

rav440

Quote from: Ponch ® on December 04, 2009, 03:46:09 PM
VALID points

SHELBY AUTOMOBILES, INC.
6755 Speedway Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89115

Ok, so I was wrong. The Shelby in Vegas IS the Carroll Shelby affiliated one. I know there's another Shelby somewhere tho.

This occurred to me while looking up some stuff: They never said that it was an original 1965 Cobra, just that it was a real one. Doesn't Shelby still build those cars and stamps the CSX letters on them? So basically it's an authentic, Shelby-blessed car, but not necessarily an old one, hence the modern looking suspension components.

they said it was a real 1965 COBRA so that to me means it is a 1965 COBRA not a 1992 /1965 COBRA replica
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Troy

VALID points

SHELBY AUTOMOBILES, INC.
6755 Speedway Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89115

You are thinking of Shelby Super Cars (SSC) - no relation but a bit confusing (hence the SSC). There was a thread about a video of Jay Leno reviewing the car on YouTube a while back. They are in Richland, WA:
http://www.shelbysupercars.com/index.php

Cobras and Daytonas had serial numbers beginning with "CSX". The originals ended around #3500. Starting with the 4000 series and running through the 6000, 7000, and 8000 series, all Cobras are "component vehicles" (ie. "kit cars" produced by Shelby after he sued the pants off of the other kit car manufacturers). The first of these "continuation" Cobras were built from original parts that were left over but these ran out quickly and reproductions/replacements have been sourced from a bunch of sources. Carroll Shelby's shop is in Las Vegas.
http://www.shelbyautos.com/index.asp

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Quote from: rav440 on December 04, 2009, 04:18:31 PM
VALID points

SHELBY AUTOMOBILES, INC.
6755 Speedway Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89115

they said it was a real 1965 COBRA so that to me means it is a 1965 COBRA not a 1992 /1965 COBRA replica
Depends on how it got registered.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426

Trust me, it won't be a "real" CSX2000 or CSX3000 series Cobra.   

redrider

the thing that through me off was that the "expert" said that the car done was worth at most $160,000 i don't know much about cobras but i am pretty sure they are worth more then that

BB1

I dove by the place in Vegas, they were shooting and episode while I was there.
The bald one was out front.
Delete my profile

myk

If there was one, just one car I had to own, it'd be a Cobra 427-preferably a newer continuation, but I'll take whatever...

Mike DC

:Twocents:

modern "old" cobra  <  original old cobra.

mauve66

Quote from: Troy on December 04, 2009, 04:33:38 PM
Carroll Shelby's shop is in Las Vegas.

Troy

they make convert all the shelby mustangs out here, when you go to the speedway you can see literally hundreds of cars that are waiting in line
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

ChgrSteve67

Waiting for stickers to be applied and wheels to be installed.

I would rather have a Rouch 427R Mustang

Landonsrt

Is Shelby Supercars still in business? I heard they were being sued for taking customers money and never delivering vehicles.... And for delivering vehicles that were what BK auto would deliver. They tried doing a joint venture with Carroll Shelby at one time, but I hope for Carroll's sake, it never panned out.

mauve66

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on December 05, 2009, 10:00:52 PM
Waiting for stickers to be applied and wheels to be installed.

I would rather have a Rouch 427R Mustang

shelby has those out here also, when you come out to MATS you will drive right by their shop
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

kidsixpack

Quote from: mauve66 on December 05, 2009, 01:28:47 PM
Quote from: Troy on December 04, 2009, 04:33:38 PM
Carroll Shelby's shop is in Las Vegas.

Troy

they make convert all the shelby mustangs out here, when you go to the speedway you can see literally hundreds of cars that are waiting in line

You are incorrect sir.  They convert the Shelby GT out there.  It is a modified Mustang GT.  Nice car, but kind of like a Saleen to me.  I build the Shelby 500 right here in the Motor City! 540 hp ahd cool as hell!
KID
69 1/2 Super Bee V2 buckets console 4spd with radio delete.
1987 Grand National Low miles original
1989 TTA Low miles light mods
95 Lightning Light mods
95 Bronco Sport low miles Lifted light mods

mauve66

i guess i got confused cause everyone of the pics in there brochure is taken at the LVMS and some of them in their parking lot, didn't make sense to ship a car all the way to LV just to take a pic in front of the warehouse............................................
plus i see about 10 of them leaving the speedway every night as i go home from work
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Shakey

I also thought there was a company in South Africa producing some sort of Cobra replica.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Shakey on December 08, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

I also thought there was a company in South Africa producing some sort of Cobra replica.

Superformance

My friend / former co-worker / lotto millionaire wanted to buy a "new" Cobra replica a few years back and went talking to some dealers about them.   This was about the time that Boyd Coddington got busted for the fake vins and stuff and all of sudden it became extremely difficult to register these things as anything more than a homebuilt and it was difficult at that (at least in NYS). 

They told him in a roundabout way to find a VIN tag without ever telling him that.  ::)   
His plan went down the tubes and he bought some twin engine boat that sits most of the time instead.

Meanwhile, there are thousands of plastic Cobra replicas that were registered with bogus info in the past as '65's, etc. running around and probably lots of people getting taken for some big bucks.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

moparstuart

Did anyone see the 67 imperial covertible they stole and  ( overhauled ) for the old man the other night ? 
Cool car. I would have left it with the white top and interior .  I thought the old man was going to kill them when they told him they sold it .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE