News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger 440 cam help?

Started by ChargerMad, December 03, 2009, 01:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerMad

hi folks,need a bit of help on rebuild no2, at present have trw L2355f plus 30s,h beam rods steel crank,eddy performer heads ,tm7 intake. around 9.5 comp,have facility for both hydraulic or solid valve train, 750vac sec ,headers ,  2 1/2 exhaust, electronic dizzy, 323 rear gears. need something high performance street /strip . Cant afford build no3, welcome any suggestions thanks dan

Purple440

Hi Dan, what is your stall at?  Stock?  Auto or manual trans?

ChargerMad

automatic mate, stock stall convertor may go high stall but prefer to keep the car for streetability. What do you think?

femtnmax

I suggest do searches on this website and cuda-challenger website.  Also look at proven engine combo section of each of these websites.  Lots of good examples.
Phil

SeattleCharger

K-58  lunati
   maybe at least 2500 stall if you can   :Twocents:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

ChargerMad

A few people have mentioned the k58 also  lunati voodo 268  cam, the cam i was running in build 1 was comp extreme282/290   .520  .540ex 110 lsa .The 346 heads didnt work with it hence now the eddys.   DAN  .

firefighter3931

Quote from: ChargerMad on December 07, 2009, 06:43:46 PM
A few people have mentioned the k58 also  lunati voodo 268  cam, the cam i was running in build 1 was comp extreme282/290   .520  .540ex 110 lsa .The 346 heads didnt work with it hence now the eddys.   DAN  .

What happened with the XS282S....that's an excellent cam.  :2thumbs:

Not exactly right for your combo....you need more gear and stall to make it work properly.  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Purple440

Quote from: ChargerMad on December 05, 2009, 06:52:34 AM
automatic mate, stock stall convertor may go high stall but prefer to keep the car for streetability. What do you think?

I was going to say Engle K-56 but I just hit their website and their cams are in a PDF and the grind#'s have changed, or I'm looking wrong??  Has anyone else seen this?   

I would say the Engle grind# EP-20HYD but normally I'd say the K-56 which doesn't look like it exists anymore.  Ron, have you seen their website lately?

- Doug

ChargerMad

hi ron , the xs282 cam i still have with only 150 miles on it,  the heads werent up to it,but the gears and stall was not helping matters as you say.   Ive swung to eddy heads and  going for zero deck  .been told over cammed on no1 build it  sounded the nuts but had a lot of issues with a faulty 3000 stall, things went from bad to worse . I now know the combo must be matched ( live and learn ) If i reuse this cam what sort of gears should i be running and stall for steetability thanks dan 

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on December 07, 2009, 11:23:38 PM

I was going to say Engle K-56 but I just hit their website and their cams are in a PDF and the grind#'s have changed, or I'm looking wrong??  Has anyone else seen this?   

I would say the Engle grind# EP-20HYD but normally I'd say the K-56 which doesn't look like it exists anymore.  Ron, have you seen their website lately?

- Doug

Doug, i heard that Engle Cams was sold recently. It looks like they no longer list the K-series hyd cams on the website. That would be a mistake on the part of the new owners if that's the case.  :brickwall:

I guess the best way to confirm would be a phone call....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: ChargerMad on December 08, 2009, 05:27:09 AM
hi ron , the xs282 cam i still have with only 150 miles on it,  the heads werent up to it,but the gears and stall was not helping matters as you say.   Ive swung to eddy heads and  going for zero deck  .been told over cammed on no1 build it  sounded the nuts but had a lot of issues with a faulty 3000 stall, things went from bad to worse . I now know the combo must be matched ( live and learn ) If i reuse this cam what sort of gears should i be running and stall for steetability thanks dan 

Dan, the XS282S is perfect for the e-heads and a zero deck shortblock. I specced that cam for VegasMike's build which is almost identical to yours. read about it here :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6000.0.html

Dynamic makes a nice 10in converter that would work just fine with that cam and they are very streetable. I have the dynamic 9.5in unit in mine and it drives real well on the street....feels very close to a stock unit until you mash the pedal....then all hell breaks loose !   :icon_smile_big:

As for gears....a set of 3.91's would be the ticket. With a 28in tire the cruising rpms on the hwy are reasonable but the fun factor in town increases exponentially !  :drive:

Ron

ChargerMad

thanks all , thanks ron im going to go for that set up, i was recommended that cam  but after a few issues heads ,converter and rear gears i was  leaning away from the cam but you learn the hard way .  Ive crane rockers 1.5 will they be ok on the eddys , should i fit the matched springs from comp or keep with the eddy springs dan

firefighter3931

Quote from: ChargerMad on December 08, 2009, 02:05:51 PM
thanks all , thanks ron im going to go for that set up, i was recommended that cam  but after a few issues heads ,converter and rear gears i was  leaning away from the cam but you learn the hard way .  Ive crane rockers 1.5 will they be ok on the eddys , should i fit the matched springs from comp or keep with the eddy springs dan

Dan, the crane 1.5's are perfect....they fit the RPM head like a glove. Excellent valvetrain geometry and alignment with the valve stems.  :2thumbs: The stock e-heads springs are fine with that cam and a 1.5 rocker ratio. If you had 1.6 rockers the accelerated valve action would necessitate a stouter spring but for your setup it's good to go...as is  :yesnod:

All you really need to make this work well is a good quality converter (Dynamic 10in) and a set of 3.91's for the 8 3/4.  ;)

Ron

ChargerMad

thanks ron,. great help. Will keep all posted on the build and fire up  thanks all dan

Purple440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 08, 2009, 10:48:22 AM
Quote from: Purple440 on December 07, 2009, 11:23:38 PM

- Doug

Doug, i heard that Engle Cams was sold recently. It looks like they no longer list the K-series hyd cams on the website. That would be a mistake on the part of the new owners if that's the case.  :brickwall:

I guess the best way to confirm would be a phone call....

Ron

I emailed them and Doug said the K-56 is still available, and they're working on the website.  I kinda ripped them for putting everything in a PDF, and he said they're still working on the website.

- Doug