News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tranny problem... help!

Started by JohnBlu5, December 02, 2009, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnBlu5

Recently my charger started acting up. For a little while, it was having trouble realizing it was in park. You'd put it in park (auto transmission) and it would still roll, would take a couple times moving it back and forth for it to park. Now, it has trouble realizing its in ANY gear, reverse, drive, it never settles in just right and you have to mess with it. Someone said it could jsut be a problem with the gear indicator thing on top of the steering wheel, but idk, help!

73 charger (btw)...

268RTs4ME

You need to put it in Park and get under neat and see if your linkage has sliped, there should be a bolt there i believe on rod that has probably loosened up on you, put column in park, get underneat hold rod and with other had move linkage on trans till it is in park, then tightten.

RD

your shifter bushings (plastic) are most likely worn and not allowing your transmission to engage into park fully.  the plastic bushings will get "oval'd" by usage and debris getting in the bushing itself.  The combination of the two, over time,  remove the plastic like sandpaper does to rust.  Check this first.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander