News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a Ram 1500 Safely Tow a Charger?

Started by bordin34, April 20, 2009, 02:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumcharger

Quote from: bordin34 on November 26, 2009, 09:10:42 PM
Ok, well I am looking at buying a Ram again and don't know about the towing capacity. It is a 1996 Ram 1500 Sport Regular Cab Short Bed with a 5.9 and trailer tow group. Can anybody tell me what it is rated for. I have seen from 4600-6800lbs.

I hauled my Charger all the way across the continent with a truck similar to the one described above, on a flatbed trailer (with electric brakes) several times.
I'll be starting a thread on my adventures in trailer towing shortly.
That being said, I've done it.....but I didn't like it.
I'm still not sure of the towing capacity...but I added a couple of extra springs to keep things on the level.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

gtx6970

Would I use a shortbed 1500 to pull a trailer , No

That said if you must , here's several things to consider. It may pull it fine , but being able to stop is actually more important

no less than a 8 ply preferably a 10 ply tire on the truck., makes sure theres a rear sway bar on the truck,and a sway eliminator/load equilizer between the 2 would be a very good idea and please make sure the brakes are in perfect working order. A GOOD  trans cooler would be a major requirement. otherwise it's gonna cost u more in the long run
  Brakes on the trailer would be mandatory, preferably both axles

Chatt69chgr

An aluminum flatbed trailer would decrease the pulled weight significantly.  Of course, aluminum trailers are at least twice as expensive as steel ones.  My friend and I pulled my charger home (about 100 miles) on a steel 16 ft flatbed trailer using his durango with 4.7 V8.  It did OK but we were real careful since we didn't have trailer brakes.  The charger stuck out past the back of the trailer a couple of feet.  I think the rear tires were right on the breakpoint of the ducktail of the trailer with the car positioned as far forward as possible.  A 18 ft trailer would have been just right.  It would be real nice to have something welded in the floor of the trailer at 4 points to attach the chain hooks to.  Also would be nice to have tow brackets welded or bolted to the bottom of the car to make attachment to.  I bought my truck after this trip and it's a 2005 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab with towing package with 5.7 Hemi.  The suspension on the 4X4 is a lot stiffer than on a 4X2 and it doesn't sway practically at all in corners.  I'm hoping that it will work OK for a less than 150 mile tow vehicle.  I absolutely agree with the comments about having the trailer equipped with brakes.  The brakes on the 1500 are just not big enough to dissipate the heat one would generate on a long hill or, for that matter, during a emergency stop with the charger/trailer in tow.