News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The hunt is on for a '72 400

Started by Hot_Rodder, November 12, 2009, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Rodder

As I recently found out that the tranny in my Charger happens to be the original, I'm gonna give this a long shot and hopefully try and track down the 400 that came out of it, and since the guy that I got this Charger from can't tell me anything about it, and I've not been able to get a hold of any of the previous owners yet, I figured I'd give this a shot.... What could it hurt after all? Here's the vin:
WP29P2G165***
So lets see where this gets me.....

Just 6T9 CHGR

.....Nowhere without the last 3 digits of the VIN.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hot_Rodder

I'm hoping that someone who has atleast this much can possibly fill the last three in.....

FLG

89MOPAR

No-one is going to come steal your charger if you post the full Vin #. :shruggy:
  If you are afraid of that happening, should buy some insurance...
  Good luck though .
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Hot_Rodder

In it's "current" condition, it will be quite hard to steal it.... I mean heck, it's eve on blocks, and the front end is mostly torn down, lol. I was hoping that if someone had one, they could give me the rest of the vin on it so that way I would know for sure and not get thrown for a loop. But since I've not been able to get a hold any of the previous owners so far.... I guess I'll go ahead and post it and hope for the best.....
The tranny is stamped as 2G165846 (or was it P2G...... hmmmmm)
I hope this get's me somewhere....

Nacho-RT74

I would laugh if that block comes to appear down here. ( we get imported used engines and car parts coming from USA junkyards at some local junkyards... yes we collect some of what you trash up there :P )

maybe is the one I had to trash ? :lol:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RD

what is the production date of your car?  if you dont find the #'s matching one, maybe a comparable close to the same date code / serial number would be nice.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Hot_Rodder

Yes I doubt that I will find the motor that came out of it. I will have to get back with the production date of the car, RD. Nacho, I hope my block didn't end up way over there, lol. I've still been trying to get a hold of the previous owners, but people just don't want to answer a phone for nothing not days.... Doesn't seem to matter what time I call, they just don't answer... :shruggy:

Date code on door is 2-72..... Production date of the car, VIN plate, I'm trying to find where I wrote the info down so I don't have to go and fool wit the hood that doesn't have the hinges on it.... See what I can come up with. If I can't find my block, and I doubt that I'll be able to, I have a 400 out of a truck sitting out on the porch, and I still have that 440.... So another motor is no problem, lol, I'm just hoping (a lot) that I'll come across it....

Ok well, I braved the possible wasp and what not, got the hood up, and checked the fender tags, if I remember correctly, the date code is on the second line up just above the VIN, in this case it's 207....

nakita7

You might want to check the local harbour...many of them became boat anchors a long time ago.

Not trying to be funny, I do hope you find it, but that might be tough. 10/20/30 years ago, 400's were yarded out of cars weekly, you just never saw them around. In high school I drove a 72 SE with a 400 2bbl. No powerhouse, but it was one of the more dependable Mopar engines I owned. I am glad to see 400 cars properly restored these days, hope you get a lead!

Hot_Rodder

Quote from: nakita7 on November 14, 2009, 01:14:38 PM
You might want to check the local harbour...many of them became boat anchors a long time ago.

Not trying to be funny, I do hope you find it, but that might be tough. 10/20/30 years ago, 400's were yarded out of cars weekly, you just never saw them around. In high school I drove a 72 SE with a 400 2bbl. No powerhouse, but it was one of the more dependable Mopar engines I owned. I am glad to see 400 cars properly restored these days, hope you get a lead!

I hope it not in the bottom on one of the creeks/rivers around here, not many lakes, but there are some ponds.... Though I find it rather difficult at best to picture seeing someone use a 400 motor (even block) for a boat anchor in a john boat, lol. The motor alone would probably sink the boat, lol. That would be kind of funny though. I'm thinking that someone probably pulled it out due to low performance (which I find hard to believe since it was replaced with a 361), or maybe a knock was coming from it.... After all, the 400 I have out on the porch is a truck motor that was backed by a 4 speed, and was a heavy duty truck. They scraped the truck (I found this motor, along with the 4 speed with transfer case with it, and the front and rear axles that came from that truck), because it had a knock, I know this because it had a badly spun rod bearing, looked like someone replaced the bottom end bearings, and messed up somewhere. Otherwise, nothing appeared to be wrong with it, though one of the cylinder heads (452) had 2 stuck valves in it since it had been sitting in the weather. The pistons were stuck of course, got them out though, cam wasn't frozen, and the crank turned ok once I got the pistons out.... Would like to make a 451 out of this, but it's just an idea..... Back to the hunt for the hopefully original motor, at this point all I want is the block (I can use the heads off the 440 (452 castings also) or the heads I have sitting around)..... I have a nice intake that I could clean up to really spruce it up (a factory cast iron dual 4bbl setup from a 383). :slap:

HemiTom

nakita7
could you tell us alittle more about your 72 SE?? what color?? etc... just love to hear about other peoples old cars..

451-74Charger

about 20 years ago i just stamped whatever number I wanted to on my engines, they all started CBR00x and so on. Never had an issue with Swansea (DML)
Some countries its easier to "change numbers"