News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

adding a positrac to a non posi rear

Started by AmadeusCharger500, November 30, 2009, 10:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I have a 742 case with 3.23 gears sittingin my garage and what I believe is a detroit locker. Can the one be added to the other? I know I need a clutch kit to do a rebuild but should I replace the gears also?

femtnmax

I thought only Ford used the lockers, and they used spring loaded gears to "lock" the axles together (no clutch packs), the gears "rachet" around corners.
For the 742 case, you would need a sure-grip ring gear housing, the clutch kit goes inside the housing.  Could use your old ring and pinion gears, but would need to reset the gear mesh because replacing the ring gear housing means the original gear mesh is history.
I rebuilt my 742 case,and added sure-grip as you are considering.  Took me some time as I did not have the factory checking tools, so alot of removing the large pinion bearing, changing bearing shims, then reassemble and check teeth contact pattern.  Would have been easier to have it built by a shop that has the proper tools IMO. :Twocents:
Phil

firefighter3931

Sure....lockers are available for 8 3/4 centersections.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

speedfreak68

don't mean to hijack your thread, but is anything available for the 741 case?