News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I love the reactions...

Started by jb666, November 29, 2009, 03:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Having a General Lee, I've realized it's a LOVE/HATE thing.. There's no in between.

I can respect everyone's opinions on the subject, and I have no problems when people don't like the car, because, like I said, I'm not trying to make anyone love the car..

The other day, an old timer in our area went into the shop my car is stored at to get something... He's big into rat-rods, bikes, etc... He looks over and says "OH , that's HIDEOUS"  :rofl: , and follows up with "That car in Black would be awesome, but THAT?".  :slap:

I've had people at car shows say "It's done nicely, but why a GL??". This came from a guy who painted his '69 RR bright Teal. I said "Why did you go with that (non original) color??". He said "It's the color of my first car and I loved it". DUH  :brickwall:, same reason! Just so happen that my dream was an Orange car with a flag on the roof...

No matter what though, what's really cool (and the point of my thread) is that NO ONE has ever approached me and said "I really can't stand these old Chargers!". Everyone loves them!!!

tan top

i get more coments on !! how come its not orange  :scratchchin: & you should of paint it like a dukes of hazzard car !! & even had one coment  are you going to jump it  :slap:  , never asked , to elobrate  jump what !  :-\ :lol:
gues the latest DOH flims have fueled more silly coments, by a new generation  :shruggy:

nothing wrong with GLs & making your charger one !! love looking at what their owners had done & can appreciate them as much as their owners !!
even spend a while now and again looking on the GL sites & looking& following all the pictures & info on all the known GLs remaining & georga cars in the show etc gl1 2 3 etc  :coolgleamA:
  just would never consider on turning mine into a GL

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jb666

Quote from: tan top on November 29, 2009, 03:35:12 PM
i get more coments on !! how come its not orange  :scratchchin: & you should of paint it like a dukes of hazzard car !! & even had one coment  are you going to jump it  :slap:  , never asked , to elobrate  jump what !  :-\ :lol:

Yeah.. I had a guy come up to me at the end of the summer and say (SERIOUSLY , too!) "Have you ever jumped this?". You foolish redneck, NO, I haven't, AND NEITHER DID THEY. He says "But they jumped theres all the time and it didn't hurt the car". I asked him if he believed in the Easter Bunny too but he didn't get it. He left with his sister/wife and never looked back.

I love my car.. I don't EXPECT everyone to.. I love everything I see at car shows EXCEPT rice.. I can do without that crap.

Hemidog

If you "GL'ed" it ; "you've shoulda painted it black!"
If you don't "GL" it; "why don't ya paint it like the General Lee?"

There's just no pleasing people.....

Not that I give a damn!

jb666

Quote from: Hemidog on November 29, 2009, 03:53:02 PM
If you "GL'ed" it ; "you've shoulda painted it black!"
If you don't "GL" it; "why don't ya paint it like the General Lee?"

There's just no pleasing people.....

Not that I give a damn!

When I first got it, the comments would have really bothered me... But after the year I've had it rolls off my shoulders... (or maybe it was putting up with all of Chuck's crap?)

JT01

You should of said yep I ve jumped a few times and see what his reaction was.

RECHRGD

Regardless of color, 2nd generation Chargers just seem to make people smile and not just us old folks.  A while back, I was in a supermarket parking lot and a little boy about 5 or so heard me loping by and turned around.  He got this great big smile on his face and said Mommy, Mommy, what kind of car is that?  Mommy had to look at the Charger script on the sail panel, but said it's an old Charger!  Isn't it beautiful?  When I parked they came over and I took a few minutes to let the little guy check the car over while I checked Momm-------Oh never mind.  Everbody likes a Charger.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

nakita7

Drive what you Love, Love what you drive...

41husk

I must say, I get tired of people asking me if I am going to paint my 68 orange.  My friend owned a GL and we parked together at many shows and all the kids would make it over to the GL to here or honk the horn.  I envied that part but it also seemed to draw the biggest hoosiers at the show.  I don't think a guy with a mullet or guy or girl missing teeth missed my buddies GL :smilielol:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

G-man

Quote from: 41husk on November 29, 2009, 05:38:28 PM
I must say, I get tired of people asking me if I am going to paint my 68 orange.

Thankfully you didnt!

But there is something wrong with Jb666's General Lee...

Its not in my driveway  :brickwall:

Grim Jhaixus

I only just got my first "Paint it orange and put a flag on it!" today (I've only had it a week/500 miles), despite it being a '73. I got mine because I like it. Chicks stare.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

BROCK

Moved in 10 years ago & the kid across the street - who is an avid
DoH fan was so excited to have a Charger in his neighborhood.  I
couldn't be mad at him for wanting me to paint in orange.  I think
he was maybe 4 at the time.  How ya gonna be mad at that?

:shruggy:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

jb666

Yeah, that pretty much describes me....Now....

:lol:

nevadadrifter

Well of course my first post has to be in a DoH related thread. I've been browsing here off and on over the years, and it's starting to look like it's time to take the plunge sometime next year and finally buy my project charger. I'm nervous as hell about it because I've never really been a car guy, and tackling my dream car as a first project makes me a little uneasy.

I had a chance around 1997 to buy a 1970 R/T in amazing condition for $4500. The guy who owned it had dozens of mopars sitting around his back yard, most of which he was actively restoring. He had just happened to come across a 1969 Daytona that was in pretty rough shape, and needed to sell off some of his other projects to finance the resto. He had recently finished the interior, and had the 440 pulled for a rebuild. The sheet metal was completely rust free. The asking price at the time was $17,000, far more than a 19 year old could afford. I tried for a loan, but my lack of credit broke that deal. I begged and pleaded for my parents to co sign on a loan, but they felt it was more than I could afford to pay on my Kmart salary. I would never admit it at the time, but they were absolutely right.

I had intended to do a GL replica with the 70, thinking that it would look "close enough". But things changed, I found a "real" career (no offense intended to any of those in here employed by Kmart), met a girl, got married..... The usual things in life that tend to get in the way of a guys toys. But everytime I catch a glimpse of a 2nd gen Charger running around town, I always wish I had been able to afford one. And every time I'm flipping through channels, and find the Duke boys up to no good, I instantly flash back to being 6 years old, and wanting that car more than anything in the world.

I'm damn near 32 now, and for some reason, there's something inside of me that still wants to own a General Lee. I've been lurking for the past few months over on the CGLFC boards, and between that board and this one, I'm sure there is more than enough help to get me through the process. I just hope y'all are able to put up with a complete rookie asking stupid questions!

69charger2002

owning a general lee is very fun. it is something i am so glad i did in my 20's. now i am 32, and i don't think i would do another one again, the attention is overwhelming, which is cool at first.. but then my wife stopped riding with me in it, she said it got too extreme with the redneck yelling and running us off the road to take pics. i thought she was crazy.. about 2 years later i started feeling the same way.. my synopsis. love it, enjoy it, do all the fun stuff(go to parades, cruise around, let kids ride in it, etc) but trust me it WILL get old and you will "outgrow" it so to speak.   :2thumbs:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

ChgrSteve67

Opionions are like assholes, everybody has one.

It amazes me the people that talk at me at car shows and think they are experts and know everything there is to know about cars but conviently don't have anything to show.

My favorite question while someone is telling me about my car and everything they don't like about it is "where is yours?"

True car people look past the color and at the quality of the work that has gone into it or the care that has been taken to preserve a survivor.  There are of course snobs that think their car is better than what everyone else has and is stupid. 

Plus I think Movie and TV cars are really neat.

I would love to have a Max Max XB with a working blower and right hand drive even though its a Ford.

nevadadrifter

Quote from: 69charger2002 on November 30, 2009, 11:33:26 PM
owning a general lee is very fun. it is something i am so glad i did in my 20's. now i am 32, and i don't think i would do another one again, the attention is overwhelming, which is cool at first.. but then my wife stopped riding with me in it, she said it got too extreme with the redneck yelling and running us off the road to take pics. i thought she was crazy.. about 2 years later i started feeling the same way.. my synopsis. love it, enjoy it, do all the fun stuff(go to parades, cruise around, let kids ride in it, etc) but trust me it WILL get old and you will "outgrow" it so to speak.   :2thumbs:

I fully expect it to grow old eventually. At that point, it's just time for a new paint job. Same hemi/hugger/whatever you want to call it shade of orange, but with a black R/T stripe and no push bar.

Khyron

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on November 30, 2009, 11:54:40 PM

I would love to have a Max Max XB with a working blower and right hand drive even though its a Ford.

not to hyjack, but one just cam eout of a garage up by me, it's been being worked on for awhile now, no working blower but it has the fake one.... love the car....

I asked him if he would trade.... he kinda looked at me....

Glad he didn't call my bluff. But I also love those things, and would consider drastic measures for the right one...

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

ohhh and I like the GL's ..... but I love my DMCL ;-)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

G-man

Short and sweet...

Im the kind of guy that would love the thumbs up whenever I drive it. GL for me until im dead sounds good to me. Dont know how anyone can get bored of the people commenting... I sure wouldnt.

Just picture it... cruising around... nailing the gas.... taking it out to the country... slide around corners... GL all the way!

nakita7

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on November 30, 2009, 11:54:40 PM
Opionions are like assholes, everybody has one.

My friend's Dad used to say:

"If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you."

Don't give one unless asked, give one cautiously when asked...good rule to live by.  :yesnod:

Cooter

Quote from: nevadadrifter on December 01, 2009, 12:01:48 AM
Quote from: 69charger2002 on November 30, 2009, 11:33:26 PM

I fully expect it to grow old eventually. At that point, it's just time for a new paint job. Same hemi/hugger/whatever you want to call it shade of orange, but with a black R/T stripe and no push bar.

Been there, tried that one already with magnets....Only thing that changes is the lines the public uses..Your new Question will be something like this...."All that car needs is the "01" and the flag..When are you gonna be finished with your General Lee?"

MY advise/reply to anyonme at the local cruises is simple...This is THE most recognised star car ever, and I'm lucky enough to own one..The attention doesn't bother me or the stupid responses as it's a simply ploy to bring you off your "high Horse" the ones doing it think your on when you show up in the GeneraL Lee...They Almost can't control the URGE to completely draw the attention away from you and your car by shifting it to themselves with a clever remark that makes a few laugh...I have list of replies I've come up with over the years for these type people..Some mean no harm (LOL), some do..

You have to kinda put yourself in those whiney Celebrity types out in Hollywood with the responses to your GL when they refer to the photographers....
If your gonna own the most famous car ever, then expect a smart comment from time to time..People just think that's the VERY first time you've EVER heard "Where's Daisy?" Some Full and well KNOW it isn't, but will repeat it anyway for the above mentioned reason..

The Only time I get really errk'd is when these young punks try and make light of "Country" boys and the General Lee..Like we should ashamed of southern Pride or something...Not everybody that looks at the General Lee has a "Mullet", OR has NO teeth....What REALLY pisses some "Purists" off at the shows, is the fact their Hemi this and SIX PACK that can't hold a candle when it's parked beside that "Hideous" orange Charger when it comes to attention....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

the thing i hated most when mine was a GL is when i came out of a store and saw asshole's sliding across teh hood and then they had the nerve to call me an asshole when i started screaming at them to get the fu*k away from my car.