News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RustOleum Garage Epoxy Kit (review)

Started by jb666, November 29, 2009, 02:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Well, I've spent the better part of the last 10 days in my garage doing the floor over...

Before I did any type of a "review" I wanted to FINISH. The floor was a mess.. 30 year old slab, cracked, holes that ended up being 12" deep once I dug them out.. Just a mess.

I wasn't too optimistic of the results, but what did I have to lose? $100 on the materials? Big deal.. If it didn't come out good I'd just throw a carpet down in there  :lol:

Anyways, I am VERY pleased with the results. It's an excellent quality Epoxy. It goes on heavy, seals and looks awesome when it's done.

I added a bit of a "custom touch" to it. I bought 3 small containers of metal flake.  :lol: Needless to say this floor is SPARKLING now. I love it!!

This was when I didn't realize what I was getting into.. I ended up going through over 100 lbs of cement just to fill in the cracks/holes...

Here it is a few weeks ago.. I had a large garage mat covering the mess...

Here's 3 days of sanding, scrubbing, choking and acid washing 5X.. I was satisfied enough to start the coating, at this point... Plus I knew I had only about a week until my car came back and this requires 3 days before you can drive on it...

This is the "first coat". I say this in quotes because I thought I was done, but the Epoxy went so far I ended up going over the whole floor twice..

And here's a quick video where I tried to demonstrate the look of the metal flakes in with the "Speckle" that came with the kit. A nice combo, IMO, and not something you see every day. My garage is VERY WELL LIT, so you can imagine how this pops...

I wanted something durable that I could trim the floor out with, so I ended up picking up some 1X6"X8' Trex, in Grey. As you know , it never rots, never requires paint, and looks great. I then Siliconed the entire parameter to make sure it's 100% water tight and sealed.. The garage is insulated from head to toe and has NEVER let water in, I just wanted to make sure the if something happened inside (blown radiator hose, etc..) that the water would just run out. And yes... My tool box is sitting on padded "furniture moving" pads.

All in all, anyone considering it, I highly recommend this kit. For $100 you get a 2.5 car garage kit that includes EVERYTHING you need. You really can't go wrong  :cheers: :cheers:

And , I'm sure someone will wonder.. On my walls, serving as a vapor barrier is 100% Cordura. The material has a DWR finish and a Urethane coating (1 Mil) making it waterproof. It's not breathable and allows NO air to get in or out. I had planned on sheet rocking over this, but I've grown to like is.. If you hit this material with your car doors, it's soft.. Not to mention EXTREMELY easy to work around when running new electrical/water lines... Peel it back, do the work, staple it back up... Best of all, it's anti-bacterial and will never get moldy...

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

captnsim

Silver R/T

That's definitely on my to-do list in the future

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jb666

Thanks.

You definitely won't regret using this product. A buddy of mine said he applied it last year and a spot came up, but admitted he didn't prep it as thoroughly as he should have... I told him to think of it like a car.. You wouldn't paint over Silicone/wax..

Silver R/T

ya, I watched episode on "this old house" how they epoxied garage floor. They prepped one day and let it dry and painted in couple of days, turned out great

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jb666

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 29, 2009, 03:23:42 PM
ya, I watched episode on "this old house" how they epoxied garage floor. They prepped one day and let it dry and painted in couple of days, turned out great

That's what I did.. After acid washing the surface for the 5th time, I took the leaf blower to it... I then let it all sit (with the dehumidifier, heater and overhead fan running) for 2 days. I then mopped the floor to make sure ALL dust was gone.. And before the first coat I hit it really thoroughly with the blower...

In between Epoxy coats I didn't even walk on it for 2 days (even though it says 12 hours later you can). Mine was still a bit tacky.

68X426

Excellent! :icon_smile_cool:

Now you have all winter to work on projects without the floor bothering you. Just your workmanship looking back at you with pride :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

jb666

Quote from: 68X426 on November 29, 2009, 03:29:21 PM
Excellent! :icon_smile_cool:

Now you have all winter to work on projects without the floor bothering you. Just your workmanship looking back at you with pride :yesnod:

Yes! And that's why I wanted to jump on this now. I wanted it done, finished and secure for the winter.. If you look at the end of my video you'll see camera #1... I have 4 cameras on my garage (one in) that allows me to see everything.. What made me really want to do this was staring at the empty garage on my monitor and seeing the floor all messed up...

Anyways, I'm not a contractor. If I can do this, anyone can... You'll walk away happy knowing you saved a bundle and ended up with a great looking floor.

resq302

I got two boxes of this stuff for my 2 car garage.  What was the reason you used an acid wash for?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

jb666

Quote from: resq302 on November 29, 2009, 03:36:25 PM
I got two boxes of this stuff for my 2 car garage.  What was the reason you used an acid wash for?

It's the final step before applying the Epoxy. You have to "etch" the cement floor to allow the epoxy to set correctly. I used the Acid wash (supplied in the kit) and a wire brush/broom, hosing it off every 4' or so. The floor dried PERFECTLY clean. I was pleased.

Think of an acid wash like washing your car down with Dawn (dishwashing detergent) before waxing it.. Dawn strips EVERYTHING from the finish of your paint.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jb666

Quote from: tan top on November 29, 2009, 03:48:23 PM
:scope: that looks good  :yesnod: ...  :coolgleamA:

Thank you. That makes my back feel a bit better  :lol:

jb666

It's been a couple of hours since I did the last section (and another coat in some areas) and it's blended perfectly.. You can't even tell which areas I just did. I , of course, didn't walk on it.. I'll grab a few more pictures later when it's all dry (though the door).

moparguy01

im going to be doing that in the spring. im not looking forward to it though since i have about a 980 sq ft garage. its not gonna be fun to put it down, or more specifically, clear it out.

jb666

Quote from: moparguy01 on November 29, 2009, 04:18:58 PM
im going to be doing that in the spring. im not looking forward to it though since i have about a 980 sq ft garage. its not gonna be fun to put it down, or more specifically, clear it out.

Yeah!! Mine's only 400 SQ FT. I couldn't imagine doing much bigger...

jb666

I just went down to check on it.. It's drying beautifully.

Here's a close up of the finish where you can see the extra effect..

FLG

Hey Jeff...do you want to come here and do mine? We can park the 73 in your garage for a couple of days while mine is drying.  :shruggy:

jb666

Quote from: FLG on November 29, 2009, 06:26:21 PM
Hey Jeff...do you want to come here and do mine? We can park the 73 in your garage for a couple of days while mine is drying.  :shruggy:

:lol: Sure, nice quick trip!!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Came out great Jeff :cheers:

I wonder how that stuff works over a previously painted floor?

PS--more of that "textile" stuff huh? ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

FlatbackFanatic

I used the same stuff in Tan, a year and a half ago. Its holding up great, even with the winter snow and salt. Good job on yours. :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN