News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wrecked/junked mopars

Started by rich4406bbl, November 30, 2005, 03:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich4406bbl

I've seen a few threads about cars we have missed buying, wish we had bought etc. How about a new thread on cars we or friends of ours wrecked and or junked.
I personally wrecked a factory "u" code 4-speed 70 Challenger RT convertible (1 of 34 I believe, still have the fender and dash tags for memories!!) back in 1982, a 440 4-speed 69 Charger RT in 1979 and a neighbor junked a 71 440-6 auto superbee because of a bad trans in 1981.

69_500

Well I know that my dad parted out a 69 HEMI RR, because it had some rear end damage. This was in about 1980 or 81. Car was a 4 speed, buddy seat, F6 Green, Green Interior car. In todays terms the car was definately fixable. But in 1980 terms it was trash.

Blown70

Friend of my fathers Crushed out of his yard a 69 Hemi GTX......

I personally have passed on a few I wish I would have bought.....

69_500

I have looked at a few wrecked Charger 500's over the years, that I passed on. Many of which I shouldn't have. Many were wrecked, but fixable, and I just didn't want a project car at that time. Then again some of them might still be layin around in the same spots they were 7-8 years ago.

Blown70

Quote from: 69_500 on November 30, 2005, 04:03:26 PM
I have looked at a few wrecked Charger 500's over the years, that I passed on. Many of which I shouldn't have. Many were wrecked, but fixable, and I just didn't want a project car at that time. Then again some of them might still be layin around in the same spots they were 7-8 years ago.

well go look already :P

1970 FE5 RR

A guy that owns a local junkyard near me crushed a Superbird a couple of years ago.
I wish I would have know about that car. :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :RantExplode:
1970 Road Runner: 383 H.P
1971 Dodge Charger SE  440 H.P
1974 Charger SE    FOR SALE!

Old Moparz

I personally junked a 1970 Charger (non R/T) that was originally a Plum Crazy, 440 automatic, A/C, with buckets & console. The motor that was in it at the time was a HP 383-4V from a '68. This was around 1982 & I paid $250 for it & drove it for a couple of months before I parted it. I sold the 383 for $50, the seats & door pads for $75, the front bumper with the brackets, the headlight motor, the radiator, & the absolutely mint grille, all for $25 to some poor bastard that hit something with his. The 727 went into my sister's '66 Newport, & I kept the 8-3/4" rear, the driveshaft & the mint hood which I still have. Good floors & frames, but it needed quarters, fenders & some work at the rear window area, as well as a motor rebuild. No vinyl top, so I don't know why the window area was so bad back then. :shruggy: 

Sorry Burnt'70, I haven't been able to come across the VIN in some old papers yet.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ChargerBill

About 8 years back there was a Triple black '69 R/T Charger with a red stripe sitting in this old ladys pasture. Her husband had died years earlier and she was alone. She ended up passing away and had no family to come pick up the pieces. the Charger went to the junkyard for salvage (had some body rot, not much though) The junyard owner REFUSED to sell the car. It was 100% in tact and could have been running with not much effort, but he HATES Mopars. So, he pulled the 440 and tranny and saved them for a 72 300 he was going to run at the Demo Derby and CRUSHED the R/T. His name has been mud with Mopar guys in town ever since.
Life is a highway...

derailed

About 15 years ago I was out in Springerville Az visiting some relatives. My uncle knew I was into old musclecars and took me over to a friend of his that had a 70 charger that he wanted to sell for $3500 due to some financial hard times. The car turned out to be a rock solid burnt orange 70 rt se. I remember the car having faded paint and a golf ball size dent in the side of the rear quarter. I think it may have been a 4 speed. Didnt have the money or a way to get it home but i wish i knew then what i know now. Maybe somone here has the car now.

Charger_Fan

I've only sent 4 cars to the crusher/boneyard in my life.
72 Pinto (drove it to it's grave)
77 Marquis (was a 460 donor car)
72 Imperial (still have it's 440)
70 Charger 500
I bought the Charger as a parts car for my Charger in the early 90's. It was almost entirely complete, just missing engine & trans. The sad thing is that today it could have been easily restored.
I still kick myself for that one. :(

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

My Family used to own a 60 acre salvage yard outside of Toronto from 1964 - 1994.   I recall finding the old log books in the abandoned offices upstairs in the late '80's.   Simple notebooks with lists of what cars were hauled in, what engines they had, where the damage was and the price they paid for them.   They had contracts with all of the major insurance companies across Southern Ontario so there were about 6 - 10 cars coming in per day.   The most we ever had was 4500 cars.   I am sure there were some gems crushed over the years.

THE CHARGER PUNK

my dad told me a guy in my hometown owned a 1970 hemi superbird 4-spd car with all available options for it and he used to sell firecrackers to kids around the 70's of course he was a kid himself being 17 or 18 and apparently my dads brothers father in law bought the car new and sold it to this kid ,neway the kid got into a huge car accident coming off the bridge he was battered up but ok and the superbird was wrecked beyond repair and was sent to the local junker to be crushed #'s matching hemi and all *CRUNCH* and this happend about 2 yrs b4 i was born . god dammitt!!!-MATT

chrisII

back in about 92? i could have had a nice lookin 69 gtx with a honeycomb grille fer like 1200? it was nice lookin , good rubber,good paint ect not # matching (so what?)....my current girlfriends dad bought it, still has it and is restoring currently.he tells me it did nead a valve job really bad when he got it.it was a fellow mopar guy who had it and nobody can figure out why he let it go he is a pack rat and normaly never lets a car go unless he makes a killing.
    about 94 mabey 95 i passed on a nice 69 runner 4 speed project. it neaded alot more help but was saveable...yupp her dad grabbed that one too..another project he still has. we live about 40 min apart. i never met him till this spring. he starts tellin me about these "finds" and it kinda blew his mind that i knew about these cars and was able to tell him exact locations.
     summer of 91 had my first 74 ,and was looking for a parts car. came to find a much better 400 4bbl 74 charger broham with faux leather int and lots of other options fer $300..yeah at 17 i messed up that deal too. it went to an indian reservation and im sure was beaten to death.

694spdRT

My dad bought a 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4 speed in 1964. He kept it for several years and the guy he sold it to wrapped it around a tree in the late 1960's. Years later we were told it was 1 of 34 built with the 383 4 speed combo...still have not been able to verify that but, the T10 4 speed was really rare in 1963 and I have only seen one other one ever.

Another is a 1969 Charger 500 Hemi that was totaled in Dodgeville, WI back in the early 1980's. The Charger's clip was almost taken completely off by a semi at a 4 way intersection. A good friend of mine used to ride around in it and got there while they were cleaning up the wreck. He said the hemi was nearly ripped out of the car.

Another is an original 1963 Fury 4 door that was ordered with a 426 Max Wedge by a friend of dad's. He kept it for several years as a family car. The wife got sick of trying to parallel park the beast and he sold it to a racer that pulled the Max Wedge out for racing and dropped a 318 back in the car and sold it. Don't know what ever happened to it after that. 

The others I can think of locally that were parted are a '69 Charger 383 SE, '70 Charger 500, and a '68 Charger.

Here is a well known picture that always makes me sad.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Duey

Quote from: Shakey on November 30, 2005, 08:09:57 PM
My Family used to own a 60 acre salvage yard outside of Toronto from 1964 - 1994.   I recall finding the old log books in the abandoned offices upstairs in the late '80's.   Simple notebooks with lists of what cars were hauled in, what engines they had, where the damage was and the price they paid for them.   They had contracts with all of the major insurance companies across Southern Ontario so there were about 6 - 10 cars coming in per day.   The most we ever had was 4500 cars.   I am sure there were some gems crushed over the years.

Shakey, was that 400 Wreckers by any chance?

Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Ghoste

I stripped my 69 Super Bee because of trunk floor rust that today wouldn't even be an issue.  Then I pushed it into the irrigation pond at the back of our farm.  In the winter, you could stand on the ice and see the car laying on it's side at the bottom.

THE CHARGER PUNK

thatd be kinda cool to see a car frozen below you-MATT

chargervert

I have parted out about 35 or so 68 to 70 Chargers over the years,most of them were badly rotted New England cars.There are three of them that I wish I could have saved.and two of them that I shouldn't have cut up at all. Two of the ones I wish I could have saved were both 69 R/T SE Chargers,one was a triple black electric sunroof car,that was so rotted,it just wasnt savable,it was a 440 automatic car,with just about every option available in a Charger,and the other one was an orange 440 4 speed car,that I bought for the Dana 60 thats in my Charger convertible.The 69 was smashed,rotted,and missing almost every part,but the dashboard,and the Dana rear end. It was a swweet car when it was new,orange with a black top,stripe delete,with the R/T emblems on the quarters.Another car that I wished I could have saved was the 70 Charger R/T that was the parts car for the convertible.I tried to buy this car from this guy for years,when I finally bought it it was too far gone! It was plum crazy 440,auto,white interior with A/C,power windows,six way seat,am 8 track,and rear defog! It also had the blackout on the hood with white 440 decals,hood pins,a white top,rear go wing,painted racing mirrors,and 15 inch rallye wheels! I also had two 68 Chargers,I wish I had not cut up! Back in 82 I bought a 68 R/T it was a 440 auto on the column,with the fold down arm rest.The car was a burnt orange,non vynal top car,that was missing its motor and trans. I parted it out for the POS 68 beater that was my daily driver! It had some rust issues but no worse than the one I was driving,and it was an R/T!!!!!What was I thinking!!!!! I also parted out a 68 Charger 318 auto,because it had electrical problems,it too had some rust issues,but it was savable! The guy who owned the car,rewired the whole car wire by wire with a huge spool of yellow wire!!!!!! Every wire in the car was yellow!!!! and it was quite the butcher job!!!! it was impossible to chase a short!!!!I was a dumb kid in 1980,just getting into the hobby,and electrical problems were scary!I would just swap uot the harnesses now a days!

chargervert

P.S. I beleve that Daytona in the photo is the F6 green Daytona that was at Englishtown,and the Mopar Nats a few years ago. It belongs to a guy named Tom from New York,and will be restored eventually!

Ghoste

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on December 02, 2005, 12:56:14 AM
thatd be kinda cool to see a car frozen below you-MATT

It was at first.   Up until about the time they began to be worth money and I realized how easily the car could have been repaired.

derailed

Quote from: Ghoste on December 02, 2005, 05:20:03 AM
[
It was at first.   Up until about the time they began to be worth money and I relaized how easily the car could have been repaired.

Its a crappy feeling but they always say that thing about hindsight. I had a Saturn yellow 1970 Buick GS 455. All it needed was full quarters and a trunk center piece. The floors and frame were great and the car was loaded with options like a power seat and windows, AC, tilt wheel, and so on. I kept the motor and junked the rest.

The Ghoul

I know its a bit off topic but the only car that was ever wrecked that i owned was my 98 firebird formula LS1 6 speed. My friend was driving me home from the bar and spun it on the freeway. we were both fine but its been 2 years so far and i still miss that car. It was 1 of 32 made with that engine, trans, color and a hard top.
I cant help but think that in 30 years it will be a clasic and ill still be sick about it.
I cant begin to imagine how you all feel about junking those cars!
P.S. he is still my best friend.
this picture of a wrecked 71 barracuda always made me sick

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 30, 2005, 06:33:24 PM
70 Charger 500
I bought the Charger as a parts car for my Charger in the early 90's. It was almost entirely complete, just missing engine & trans. The sad thing is that today it could have been easily restored.

Did the 460 go in the Pinto?    :drive: :drive: :drive:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69bronzeT5

Man, I know Im bringing this thread back from the depths of dc.com but whatever.

The only car me and my dad have parted out and sent to the crusher was a 68 Newport.

Speaking of wrecked Cuda's. I hope Jackie dosent mind me posting a pic of her old 70 Barracuda that got wrecked years ago.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69bronzeT5

last pic of it...

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 14, 2007, 01:34:02 AM
Man, I know Im bringing this thread back from the depths of dc.com but whatever.

The only car me and my dad have parted out and sent to the crusher was a 68 Newport.

Speaking of wrecked Cuda's. I hope Jackie dosent mind me posting a pic of her old 70 Barracuda that got wrecked years ago.
No Cody, I don't mind. And I still have the VIN, fender tag and title to that car. And the only Barracuda emblem that survived. Just for memories. Cause that was the 1st Mopar I restored.

chargerman68

darn i cant read anymore my stomach is turning from all that mopar wasted...... :popcrn:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

tan top

:scared:    Jackie , i remember some thing about your cuda got wrecked ...   didn't realise it was a biggie like that  :o ,glad you were ok.. did you get injured......
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Wow Jackie.  I've been in a few bad wrecks myself and they're way over-rated on television.  I'm glad you survived cuz that's pretty nasty looking.

Forza

Holy crap what did you hit? That's a pretty nasty accident, glad you were ok Jackie. I guess I wasnt here to hear that story.

SRT-440

Good thread. When I was little my dad had a 69 1/2 Super Bee 440 6 pack..he raced it on the weekends and used it as a daily driver during the week. He decided to rebuild the motor and got some more performance out of it until...one day we were all in it going thru a McDonalds drive thru and the engine caught fire. He said it was a short or something wrong with the ignition (can't remember)..anyways..burned the engine bay up and melted the six pack hood other than than no damage. The insurance company gave him $600 for it and sent it to a salvage yard never to be heard from again...yup I kicked him in the nuts..haha.. :slap:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: tan top on June 14, 2007, 01:52:30 AM
:scared:    Jackie , i remember some thing about your cuda got wrecked ...   didn't realise it was a biggie like that  :o ,glad you were ok.. did you get injured......
To answer the other questions too. That was in Jan 86. I slid on ice and hit a full size van head-on. Yes, I was hurt. I almost died. I had internal bleeding. I had 4 surgeries for that, now. Various parts of my large and small intestine removed. I had an open explosion fracture of the left tibia and fibia. Basically my left foot was almost tore. I fractured my right leg below my knee. My left hand had 17 breaks. I broke my jaw, a rib. I had a blood clot on my brain and it jarred my retinas loose. I couldn't see right for about 3 months. My heart stopped 3 times on the operating table. When I left the hospital 3 months after the accident, the Doc's told me i would never walk again. They also told me I couldn't have any more children. But I'm walking and had Shelby since the accident.

Brock Samson

supserdave

We've only parted one, well we're in the process, its a R4 383 2 barrel car, way rusted and mostly stripped when we got it. My dad bought it in the early 80's for the 8 3/4. He shelled out the pinion bearing in the Dana 60 in his RT/SE, so he scrapped it :flame:. and replaced it with that one.

My dad also sold a complete 69 318 charger to Brian(1hot68) for $35 bucks delivered! Ahh to be back in the 80's again....

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on June 14, 2007, 08:40:49 AM
To answer the other questions too. That was in Jan 86. I slid on ice and hit a full size van head-on. Yes, I was hurt. I almost died. I had internal bleeding. I had 4 surgeries for that, now. Various parts of my large and small intestine removed. I had an open explosion fracture of the left tibia and fibia. Basically my left foot was almost tore. I fractured my right leg below my knee. My left hand had 17 breaks. I broke my jaw, a rib. I had a blood clot on my brain and it jarred my retinas loose. I couldn't see right for about 3 months. My heart stopped 3 times on the operating table. When I left the hospital 3 months after the accident, the Doc's told me i would never walk again. They also told me I couldn't have any more children. But I'm walking and had Shelby since the accident.
Holy crapolee!! :o I guess I should stop snivveling about my back pains now. :-\ ;D
Glad you pulled though. Thumbs:

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 02, 2005, 05:36:24 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 30, 2005, 06:33:24 PM
70 Charger 500

Did the 460 go in the Pinto?    :drive: :drive: :drive:
Nope, I yanked that engine years after I sold the Pimple.
I put it in the red Hi-boy. :icon_smile_big:

A response a year & a half later isn't too late, is it?? :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on June 14, 2007, 01:53:16 PM
A response a year & a half later isn't too late, is it?? :smilielol:

Not at all, I know I can always count on you.  Remember the movie Ghost Busters II, when Cheech Martin is a dock manager and the Titanic arrives at the port and he says to the guy next to him "well, better late than never".  But there was one post you missed in the last year.  let me see if i can find it..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Charger_Fan

tan top

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on June 14, 2007, 08:40:49 AM
Quote from: tan top on June 14, 2007, 01:52:30 AM
:o good god you were very lucky Jackie & proved the doctors wrong  :2thumbs:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

UFO

Here a 68 that went to big car show in the sky.No I didnt flip it,I just stripped what was left.

UFO

And a 69 that got stripped for parts.

mikesbbody

i have never wrecked or parted out any mopars, but years ago there were 2 brothers 1 had a 71 rt gold, black interior auto and 6 pack! the other brother had a green 71 super bee white painted roof option, green interior 383 auto. The 71 rt was destroyed in a high speed wreck (it flipped end over end) it was totalled but when i got my car the previous owner had the rt tailights (there's nothing wrong with them they survived!) There was a dispute over $ between the brothers after their mother died. The brother who had the rt took the other brothers 71 super bee (which was a perfect car at the time) and left it outside...btw he lived close to a beach you can guess what happened RUST!!!.....by the time the brother go it back it was a mess. I know who owns it now and its still the same so sad... :rotz:

71ChallengeHer

Thanks, I feel very fortunate and blessed. :cheers:

69bronzeT5

Hey UFO, can I use those pics for my site?? They look old but their still sitting Mopars ;)

And Mike, Id like to see some pics of that Bee if you can get em.

mikesbbody

no problem cody check your pms' mike.