News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are car/parts values dropping significantly?

Started by AKcharger, November 28, 2009, 08:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I'm seeing some posts about killer deals and such, but just wondering if values are really that low? I compare some of the craigslist/ebay links to the Carlisle "car corral" prices and they seem about the same as '07/08 Have things really dropped? I mean sure there were $25K 69 chargers that were junk...but they didn't sell.

Here's 08
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46397.0.html

And '07
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31102.0.html

Brock Lee

dads_69

Bill, yes charger values are dropping. I remember when I could have bought the 70' you have now but ya' beat me to it for a few hundred bucks. FYI, I'll gladly pay that now in case you need mad $$ for Christmas.  :D  :cheers:

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Ghoste

There are still a lot of people asking for the big money, it's what the guys doing the buying are actually paying that tells the story.  It took a while but I can tell you that by the close of auction season this year transactions were happening at lower numbers.

rav440

i dont see a drop in price on any parts im looking for , in fact i think they are more now than a year ago even used parts , and jeeze some of the people on CL they are way overpriced $1200.00 for a friggn 440 from a 77 motorhome  :smilielol:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Cooter

I don't give a sh*t how bad this economy gets, I'm not gonna let a few Low ballers try and get all the parts I had to go get at FAIR prices fighting bees, snakes, briars, the occasional field rat, for close to nothing just cause everybody THINKS the economy will force me to sell it cheap...These parts/cars ain't eatin' nothing sitting out there in the shed....I've sold cheap before after hearing bout how they need this or that to FINALLY complete their "Dream car" project only to see the "dream car" up on Ebay two weeks later for big bucks...

As long as people drive cars, they will need someone that has the brains, PATIENCE, and skill to fix that soccer mom's SUV when the local shade tree mach-a-neck can't/won't do it...So, there's nothing wrong with MY economy....I'll continue to make ends meet with my "on the side" bodywork/paint job set up as well....I'll sit on the parts until 2013 when all this Cume-by-yah sh*t is over and we can go back to people paying fair money for stuff instead of letting a few people that shouldn't even be LOOKING at the parts (let alone thinking they will buy) tell them they need to sell cheap as nobody has any money in this "Economy"...I'm not against smoking deals if you can get/find them, but don't come here thinking I'm buying that "Bad Economy" bullshit, cause if it was a bad economy, then why are you waisting money on Old cars/parts?

Sorry for the rant, but this stuff really pisses me off...The economy would get better if people wouldn't buy into the hype...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

It's a fair rant Cooter.  Believe it or not I think it goes hand in hand with the more commonly heard rant about people seeing Barrett-Jackson on television and now thinking that every piece of rusted junk buried behind their barn has suddenly turned to solid gold.  It's the yin and the yang of the swap meet scene.

68charger383

Quote from: Ghoste on November 29, 2009, 11:27:37 AM
It's a fair rant Cooter. Believe it or not I think it goes hand in hand with the more commonly heard rant about people seeing Barrett-Jackson on television and now thinking that every piece of rusted junk buried behind their barn has suddenly turned to solid gold. It's the yin and the yang of the swap meet scene.

In 2004-08 prices went up abnormally, well beyond the normal % allowed for things like inflation etc., so the guy whose house artificially shot up $400,000 can no longer take out an equity loan on this new found money to over pay and drive up the prices on cars/parts. Prices are heading South to about where they should have been if this surge didn't happen.

That's why you can buy a nice 383 Charger for $18-$20K an R/T for $25-$30k and a hemi car for $70K and prices are still going down :Twocents:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

mauve66

i've been waiting for 6paks to drop back to 1200 like they were in 93, but it ain't happened yet :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

AKcharger

Quote from: dads_69 on November 29, 2009, 04:19:54 AM
Bill, yes charger values are dropping. I remember when I could have bought the 70' you have now but ya' beat me to it for a few hundred bucks. FYI, I'll gladly pay that now in case you need mad $$ for Christmas.  :D  :cheers:
Mark

...Well...I'll need at least a $1000 for it now since I put a lot of work into it  :laugh:

...Cooter you do have a point about parts, the parts don't cost you anything to keep...question is are there a sizable enough group of people that NEED the money that have been dumping parts, hence lowering prices?

If things do keep dropping I may have to pick up another toy while at Carlisle this summer!

Cooter

Quote from: AKcharger on November 29, 2009, 05:55:34 PM
Quote from: dads_69 on November 29, 2009, 04:19:54 AM
Mark

...Well...I'll need at least a $1000 for it now since I put a lot of work into it  :laugh:

...Cooter you do have a point about parts, the parts don't cost you anything to keep...question is are there a sizable enough group of people that NEED the money that have been dumping parts, hence lowering prices?

If things do keep dropping I may have to pick up another toy while at Carlisle this summer!

Now don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see those "Carlisle" folks with their CRAZY prices come down a bit  to "Normal/Fair" pricing instead of the "Carlisle pricing"....Why is it a '69 Charger Grille that was CLEARLY just removed out of a junk car, complete with leaves, weeds, twigs, etc. STILL IN IT laying on the ground, with broken pieces, cost you $1200.00 and the VERY same grille on here only cost you $500.00???

Same thing with 440 "HP" enignes...Why is it at Carlsile a '69 440 "HP" engine torn down for inspection, cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 and the VERY same engine on a DODGE forum swap meet isn't worth but $500-$750????
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HemiTom

Just remember guys..if the values of cars and parts continue to fall, people will be more than likely to junk a good car figuring the scrap value is worth more than complete. alot of good cars would end up crushed that would otherwise get a second chance at being restored.  Companies would be less likely to reproduce parts...

just my .02

Ghoste

If prices for junk cars are so high that the average Joe can't afford them then to me they may as well get scrapped anyway.  But I hear where you're coming from.

nakita7

Bring it on. Let prices fall. Let them get to 25% of what they are now. Then we would see who actually is into Mopars, and who believes that capitalism is good...

Makes me sick where this 'hobby' has gone.  :eyes:

ACUDANUT

According to the BK auto site discussion here, they still think rotted junk is worth 8K

Brock Lee

Another big factor in the parts market is the steady stream of reproduction parts hitting the market. Grilles and seat cores are just about the only parts often needed and not offered.

ACUDANUT

mauve66

and 1st gen door panels............................................. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

AKcharger

Quote from: Cooter on November 29, 2009, 08:26:05 PM

Now don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see those "Carlisle" folks with their CRAZY prices come down a bit  to "Normal/Fair" pricing instead of the "Carlisle pricing"....Why is it a '69 Charger Grille that was CLEARLY just removed out of a junk car, complete with leaves, weeds, twigs, etc. STILL IN IT laying on the ground, with broken pieces, cost you $1200.00 and the VERY same grille on here only cost you $500.00???

Same thing with 440 "HP" enignes...Why is it at Carlsile a '69 440 "HP" engine torn down for inspection, cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 and the VERY same engine on a DODGE forum swap meet isn't worth but $500-$750????

Well What you have to remember at Carlisle is there are SO MANY people you'll find idiots...and good deals. In '08 I remember looking for a '72 front fender, found 3 of them; one was $350, other $200 and the one I bought...$25, ya just have to look. I enjoy Carlisle but for used parts it's hit and miss.

Cooter

Quote from: nakita7 on November 30, 2009, 10:45:45 PM
Bring it on. Let prices fall. Let them get to 25% of what they are now. Then we would see who actually is into Mopars, and who believes that capitalism is good...

AMEN Brother....I was Mopar when Mopar wasn't cool...I can remember being the laughin' stock when I'd roll in in what they would call "That 'ol Goat"..When CLEARLY, the Pontiac was "The Goat" I always thought..I guess it had to do with the Ram symbol...

Mike DC

:Twocents:

People go to shows like Carlisle or B-J to get "ripped off" on purpose.  

Deciding to shop at these events is a conscious decision to trade more of your money in exchange for less time, effort, trips, and risk in the buying process.  The parts/cars are all hauled from the far reaches of the country to one spot, one weekend, to a scheduled event, so you can look them over yourself and deal with the sellers face-to-face in a controlled environment.  This stuff is worth a lot of extra money to some people and not worth it to others.    

I don't see the harm in this. 

nakita7

Quote from: Cooter on December 01, 2009, 11:08:58 PM
Quote from: nakita7 on November 30, 2009, 10:45:45 PM

AMEN Brother....I was Mopar when Mopar wasn't cool...I can remember being the laughin' stock when I'd roll in in what they would call "That 'ol Goat"..When CLEARLY, the Pontiac was "The Goat" I always thought..I guess it had to do with the Ram symbol...

I was into to them BEFORE DOH. It was a great time buying running Mopars for $500 all the time. Nobody wanted them. The 'cool' car were Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, 5-6-7 Chevys and of course the Mustang. I remember seeing ads for some Mickey Mouse Mustang or Camaro and he wants $20,000. I thought, Wow, and Hemi cars were selling for like $6500! I realize those days are long gone, but I wish it would return to JUST car guys into the 'hobby', not bankers and investors from over-seas and all that crap. These cars were ALWAYS valuable to me...

Hopefully the economy crash will wake some more people up and they will drop even more. Let people that ACTUALLY like the cars be able to buy them, not someone with more money than brains, not some kid working in the oilpatch with money to burn, not someone who just read 'MoneyBlahblah' magazine and needs to 'invest'...

Charger440RDN

Quote from: HemiTom on November 30, 2009, 08:25:34 PM
Just remember guys..if the values of cars and parts continue to fall, people will be more than likely to junk a good car figuring the scrap value is worth more than complete. alot of good cars would end up crushed that would otherwise get a second chance at being restored.  Companies would be less likely to reproduce parts...

just my .02

This is the one thing I'm afraid of with values dropping. A lot of Chargers will never get restored especially if it's a column shift, bench seat 318 car. People are not going to spend big bucks to restore those types of cars any more.

nakita7

Quote from: Charger440RDN on December 02, 2009, 10:44:57 PM
Quote from: HemiTom on November 30, 2009, 08:25:34 PM

just my .02

This is the one thing I'm afraid of with values dropping. A lot of Chargers will never get restored especially if it's a column shift, bench seat 318 car. People are not going to spend big bucks to restore those types of cars any more.

Maybe the green on green 318 bench seat column shift car could be a parts car? That's what they were 20+ years ago. Nobody in their right mind 'restored' a car like that! Then there would be none of these 'cottage industry' repro parts places popping up to "fill the need". The need was never there before when prices were low.

I don't like seeing Mopars wrecked...but I do NOT love seeing Muscle Cars in Money magazines either. Can this be a hobby AND a business at the same time? It is now. That's why we are having discussions like this. But I know I DETEST seeing the greed in some of these so called 'collectors' I've met. Not all, but some. Just can't handle seeing greed/lust/selfishness in people period, let alone over a stupid car....

Ghoste