News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Toyota Tacoma's...anyone know about 'em?

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, November 25, 2009, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with Toyota Tacoma's?

Anyone own or previously owned one?

Thanks
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68RT4ME

I had an '04 and traded it in on my 3500 in '08. It was a very dependable truck but I found it uncomfortable on a ride longer than an hour. Also, that model was a 6 banger and it sucked up the fuel. Not good on gas at all. Mine was the TRW Prerunner. Looked nice, limited hauling capabilities. Looked like this one.

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks....IDK I have an itch for a truck & to trade in the Daytona.  Its a lease anyway but Im wondering if I can dump it off to the dealer with the above truck....really like the color combo as well.
gas mileage cant be any worse than the 11mpg Im getting with the Daytona....

How was the room in the back seat?
Looking at this shot might be a deal breaker for me....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger74

If your going to worry about leg room in the back, Toyota is not going to be good for you.  Better off finding a quad cab Dakota, their a bit better but not much.

miller time

I rented one once, it was OK, definatly not a Dodge, GMC or Chevy, below them, their tough when built but until then the egines leave alot to be desireds IMO.

PocketThunder

I think our member Rolling_Thunder (Alex) has one and he's a big dude.   :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

I just sold my 97 in March. I really liked it - much more than the Ram but I couldn't tow a car with it. I drove it to Carlisle a couple years ago but i guess you didn't see it. I haven't been in one of the newer ones yet but I don't think there's a ton of room in the back. From a mileage standpoint I'd expect high teens (depending on engine/trans) and they (Toyotas) have always been good to me as far as reliability (I've had 1 car and 3 trucks and am looking for another).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ponch ®

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on November 25, 2009, 12:27:27 PM
Thanks....IDK I have an itch for a truck & to trade in the Daytona.  

what??!?! already?

well anyway...dibs on your Hurst stick/plate kit.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 25, 2009, 02:09:56 PM

what??!?! already?

Ha yeah already....I really cant enjoy the car as much as I'd like to.   Believe it or not the car stresses me out when I drive it.  Afraid someone is gonna run into me at every turn, someone is gonna fling open their door into it (why I rarely take it shopping anywhere & if I do I park miles away)
Right now this is in "fantasy mode"  Doing some # crunching to see if its worth it to pay off the lease early etc.....

Anyone ever have any luck with a company that takes over leases?

www.SwapALease.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

68RT4ME

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on November 25, 2009, 03:25:51 PM

what??!?! already?

Ha yeah already....I really cant enjoy the car as much as I'd like to.   Believe it or not the car stresses me out when I drive it.  Afraid someone is gonna run into me at every turn, someone is gonna fling open their door into it (why I rarely take it shopping anywhere & if I do I park miles away)
Right now this is in "fantasy mode"  Doing some # crunching to see if its worth it to pay off the lease early etc.....

www.SwapALease.com

I know how you feel. I'm the same way with mine. Fortunately, I don't use it as a daily driver. I'm also enjoying it too much and have too much in it where mods are concerned to part with it.
I sat in the Latest Tacoma when they first came out and it was allot roomier than the one I had. I didn't sit in the back seat though.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 25, 2009, 12:53:16 PM
I think our member Rolling_Thunder (Alex) has one and he's a big dude.   :scratchchin:

Trying to say something there Pocket ?   :cheers:      I'm not that big of a dude...   6'1 and 240lbs...     down from 317lbs 18 months ago...  

I own a 2004 Tacoma TRD Pre-runner....      V6 (3.4L) automatic ----

There are good and bad things about this truck - I am going to provide as honest opinions as I can...     Keep in mind the one you are eying is a 05+ so it is a different generation - however I drove plenty of those when I was looking for my "Taco"

Pros:
Solidly engineered - the entire design is well thought out and practical without being overly flashy. I have put 28,000 miles on mine in the past year and it is comfortable and provides a feeling of safety. I own the PreRunner (4x4 suspension with only being a 4x2 - sits higher, stiffer spring rates, and has a locker in the differential) it gives a good vantage point but is still small enough to manuver in most parking lots. (even here in CA) - I have an extracab - not a 4-door as I am not a taxi service so I can not speak to the rear seating room. The 3.4L is known for reliability just as much as the I4 available. Simply bulletproof engines. If your into a little more power you can purchase a TRD supercharger and bump the hp and tq at a very reasonable cost. My friend has a 2001 4x4 with the blower on his V6 - that thing is pretty peppy for a truck. I also have plenty of room for even being a "big guy".

Cons:
The clock is hard to see when driving.
The gas mileage is not great with my V6 - 18mpg average (keep in mind it is a heavy truck and Pre-Runners have a 4.10 differential gear) the I4 guys report high 20's to low 30's on occasion.
Some older (1995-2002) have reported frame rusting issues - however Toyota has a program to cure this - it is VERY good plan - i doubt you'll run into this on the newer truck you're looking at.

Facts:
The newer Tacos have 4.0L V6 instead of the 3.4L V6...     

Overall I would recommend them as one of the best trucks out there - they also hold value very well and are workhorses...   the V6 PreRunner can pull 5000lbs - the limiting factor is transmission heat - People have pulled 6000lbs safely with the addition of an external transmission cooler...       the Taco is listed as a 1/2 ton truck - this is in error when considering the PreRunner - its carrying capacity seems to be much higher - more so that of a 3/4 ton...   I have loaded mine with a good 1300lbs in the bed and it did not mind at all...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ponch ®

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on November 25, 2009, 03:25:51 PM

what??!?! already?

www.SwapALease.com

Oh cmon...be man and drive it around! It's not like it's the '69, which is almost irreplaceable. My buddy has an '07 sublime and he's about to turn 52K miles...in about 2 years!
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

chargerboy69

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 25, 2009, 03:42:50 PM
Just try to stay away from Tundra's :lol:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34137136/?gt1=43001

I heard about this too.

"The government urged owners to remove the spare tire from the frame, concerned it could fall onto the road and create a hazard for other vehicles."

Ya think.  ::)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Just 6T9 CHGR

Dont get me wrong, I DO drive it around as its my daily driver (another mistake) but my daily work commute is 7 miles which barely gets it to warm up ;)

As it stands right now, the dealer that has this truck is also a Chrysler dealer.  I gave them my buy out price and they said the value ratio puts me upside down and they would loose money trying to buy it outright & trade it in.   These things (limited edition or not) dont hold ANY value....(another mistake)
Anyhoo he said the best he could do is have me pay off the remaining payments on my lease (about 5k) and then finance the truck.....naaahh throwing away 5k isnt as cost effective as me keeping the car for the next 17 months.

Another option is trying one of the lease swap companies.  Spoke to www.swapalease.com  & they have 2 programs.....swap a lease (transfer a lease to a new owner) only drawback is that I would STILL be on the lease as a secondary owner (in case primary (new) owner defaults) happens in 1% of transfers (Chrysler still has to appprove credit to new owner....wont transfer to a deadbeat)  Costs from $49-$149 to list & transfer
The other option is the New Loan option where you tell them your buy out price for the car & they advertise the car for "sale" at that price...someone "buys" it for that price (again Chrysler must approve) and you are removed totally from the lease....more costly ($300 for their basic listing fee)but safer IMHO....

SOOOO confused!

Anyone want to take over the lease on a nice '08 Daytona?  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

PS----Alex, thanks for the detailed review :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Chris
Please read your posts again and then smack yourself in the head. Lease swap -$5k, etc..... you are answering your own question, but i'm guessing you are just thinking out loud. You're a smart man, so please sleep on this for the next 17 months...that is all, carry on.  :icon_smile_cool:

PS the dealer is yankin your pud like all dealers do and they will never give you a deal.  You'll always be upside down to them.

Anyway, what's your lease payment $359 or something like that? and how the heck do you only get 11mpg with your car?? I get 18+ in my SRT...
I don't see your gas mileage improving on the toyota much, they are gas suckers.
I also think you'll get bored with it quickly.  If your gonna get a truck, get one that wears pants! Toyotas are for prom queens....lol

I'm not a huge fan of toyota but they make a decent vehicle I guess. 

Now, please delete this topic and start a new one with pictures of your car and how much you enjoy having it and looking at it...
DOn't make me tell you the story of how I traded a mint IROC-Z back in the day for a 90 ford ranger(this is back in 90 by the way)
I still wanna punch myself in the face for doing that. :lol:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

My payment is only $287 a month (because I put friggin 10k down...ANOTHER mistake)

See my Fuelly.com night mare here
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TUFCAT

THE ONLY THING I KNOW IS........

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN!!!

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 25, 2009, 11:03:45 PM

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN!!!

Ummmm    the Tacoma is built in San Antonio      :2thumbs:

GM trucks are made in Silao, Mexico   :rotz:

TUFCAT

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 25, 2009, 11:08:23 PM

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN!!!

Ummmm    the Tacoma is built in Northern California and San Antonio      :2thumbs:

It's not an American company, the profits go directly to Japan, and it doesn't help our U.S Automakers or laid off autoworkers (and suppliers) without jobs.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 25, 2009, 11:12:44 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 25, 2009, 11:08:23 PM

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN!!!

Ummmm    the Tacoma is built in Northern California and San Antonio      :2thumbs:

It's not an American company, the profits go directly to Japan, and it doesn't help our U.S Automakers or laid off autoworkers (and suppliers) without jobs.

but if the manufacturing plants are here in the US wouldnt that employ US citizens ?     Tariffs ? Taxes ?     all these things help the economy...    I could honestly care less about the US automakers - they do not make such a great product - if they had their stuff together they wouldnt have problems selling cars...     Capitalism.    :shruggy:

bull

I looked into buying a Toyota pickup once and the first thing that soured me on them was that the top of the seat was like 8 inches off the floor. They've probably changed that since then but when it comes to midsized pickups (my favorite size) I've been hooked on the Dakota since it was first introduced. I've owned an '89 and now the '94 which I've had for almost 10 years. If that one ever goes belly-up I'll be looking for a 2000-2003 quad cab. The mpg comparison between a 2003 Dakota and Tacoma are about the same, but one of the two is not a Mopar.

The70RT

If you buy a Toyota make sure the recall is taken care of. If not just cut 3/4" off the gas pedal or turn the ignition off when it sticks. If you have power steering and power brakes make sure your wife isnt driving. Several wrecks and 4 deaths so far.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

There was a story on the news today about a Toyota pickup recall piggy-backed on the gas pedal story. Something about them rusting badly underneath in states where they salt the roads and the spare tire falling out...

Troy

The rust issues are on the older trucks (1990 something to 2001 or so) but they did recently change that to include up to 2004. Toyota (unlike Dodge) stands behind their product and extended the rust-through warranty to 15 years. They also give 150% of blue book to buy them back. That's why I no longer have my truck. I live in Ohio with whatever caustic chemical they put on the roads. I took it in for some repairs at 183k miles and they called to tell me my truck was "grounded". A couple weeks later I had a check for $11,500 (I paid $10k for it 5 years ago with 106k miles).

Oh, mine was a loaded SR5 extended cab, PW, sunroof, 4x4, with the 3.4 V6 and I averaged 17-18 mpg. I mostly drive about 75 mph on the highway. The only things I ever replaced were the front brakes (twice), tires, the ABS sensor, 1 taillight bulb, and 1 oxygen sensor.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I think for now the deal is off the table....really hate to throw 5k away just to pay off lease to get a truck (of which I really dont need...more of a want anyway)
Maybe ill wait for the dealer to call me back after lying low & see if I can haggle more ;)

I have a disease.... :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

C_stripes

I work at a Toyota dealer and I would say that they are good little trucks. I am a big guy (6'5 330ibs) and I am surprised at how well I fit in them. They are good little trucks with plenty of power for the day to day. The best part about them is how well they hold their value. I know several guys that lease them, then sell them right before the end of their lease and pay off the truck and use the profit for their next down payment. I love to drive the V6 with a six speed. They are allot of fun.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Cant say the same about the Dodge holding its value....even with the limited edition status of the Daytona it aint worth squat...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Yoda gave my co worker  $12.5K for a 98 w/ 250K miles / 4 banger 5 speed.   Lots of miles but he never actually carried anything more than a set of golf clubs in it.
Complained about the gas mileage.
So he bought a new Prius but complains he can't carry anything in it.
Then he went back and bought an 06 tacoma outta Jersey for 14 or 16 K.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.