News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Power steering reservoir exploding (from pressure)

Started by 451-74Charger, November 24, 2009, 10:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

451-74Charger

Now that I got you attention, I need help (and car help too). - I had posted on Jeepforum, but thought id try here too, as they probably thing im a dumb A$$

My 05 5.7 Grand developed a crack on the power steering reservoir. So I removed it and found the reservoir had come apart at the top. Not sure if this was part of the original issue or not.

So I did what was suggested in other forums and got out the handy dandy tubes of JB-Weld.

Stuck it together and all seemed fine.
I put it back on the car and filled with fluid. Turned the steering lock to lock without the engine running and with the front raised off the ground about 20 times topping up the fluid as I went.

So far so good.

I let it stand and started her up. Still good, went lock to lock 10 more times. all ok and then shut off.

I added more fluid and

with the engine off, turned lock to lock and BANG !@!@

The bottle popped open around 1/2 the seam.

Now I didnt want to shell out $110 for a new one and probably am now glad I didnt. Anyone have any idea why this happened? What should I do to bleed the system next time if I hadnt done it correctly??

dodgecharger-fan

Not sure about the cause, but if you need to do any more repairs, I've been hearing amazing things about rapid fix from real car folks.

http://www.rapid-fix-glue.com/

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

squeakfinder

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

451-74Charger

There is no vent on this system, it is sealed....hmm, makes me wonder if the compressed air in the pump (from air in the line caused by the initial leak) expanded and popped it..

squeakfinder

Quote from: 451-74Charger on November 24, 2009, 02:10:53 PM
There is no vent on this system, it is sealed....hmm, makes me wonder if the compressed air in the pump (from air in the line caused by the initial leak) expanded and popped it..

Allwright, I tend to shoot from the hip with my responces and that gets me into trouble. But I don't think I've seen a hydraulic system that didn't have some kind of vent in the reservoir. What caused it to break in the first place?
Maybee it was on it's way to splitting open before you JB Welded it.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

451-74Charger

The reservoir was cracked a little, hence the JB-weld.
I think an air pocket expanded after it worked its way through the high pressure side into the low pressure lines and the res being the weakest part, just popped apart.

BTW, round 2 of JB-Weld seems to be working. Spent over an hour bleeding it by cycling from lock to lock 40 times and then letting sit and repeating about 3 times.

I drove it to work today !!

Charger RT

I'm not familiar with the 05 Jeep but we do have some newer Mopars at work. It does sound odd there is no vent. But on older Fords with rack and pinion steering it is very common for them to pop the cap off and leak fluid when you turn the wheels with the engine off. This did not happen on Fords that used the same pump and a conventional steering gear.
Tim