News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I don't remember taking this thing off....

Started by bull, November 23, 2009, 11:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I know what this plate is for (valley pan cover) but is there supposed to be two of them front and rear? If not does it go in the front?

Ghoste

Just the one and it goes in the front, it was to help hold in the hunk of foil wrapped insulation.

bull

Thanks. No one seems to use that insulation anymore.

bill440rt

Hmmm...
I've never seen that big shield before....
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mostly found on lo-po big blocks....as valve train silencer.
Performance Car Graphics sells the insulation in repro...

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gtx6970

Quote from: bull on November 23, 2009, 11:39:33 PM
I know what this plate is for (valley pan cover) but is there supposed to be two of them front and rear? If not does it go in the front?

I'm not aware ot it ever being used on any HP motor. As mentioned might be a lo po motor thing.
I've taken several off of C-body big blocks over the years

bull

Well, even though mine was originally an lp 2bbl and it's going to be an hp 4bbl I'll go ahead and put this plate back on. I like odd little quirks like this.

Ghoste

If anybody asks you what it's for you can tell them it's a trick Dick Landy used to run on his cars and then just smile knowingly.

62 Max

Quote from: Ghoste on November 25, 2009, 11:55:21 AM
If anybody asks you what it's for you can tell them it's a trick Dick Landy used to run on his cars and then just smile knowingly.

You can also hide all kind of stuff under it. :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Yes, you could use it as a safe place to toast road kill sandwiches and what have you. :rofl:

bull

I'm thinking mini pizza oven. Maybe popcorn too.

bordin34

My 73 400 has that, all its good for is hiding bolts you drop into the valley and make them impossible to retrieve.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

BigBlackDodge

My '72 440 has that (Imperial).............sound deadning insulation holder. :icon_smile_big:

BBD

A383Wing

I have them on my cars....one in front, and one in the rear....stock factory issue...they go under the hold down bars...and the front & rear are different

6bblgt

Quote from: A383Wing on November 26, 2009, 10:38:58 PM
I have them on my cars....one in front, and one in the rear....stock factory issue...they go under the hold down bars...and the front & rear are different

That rings a bell.  I recall the one in the front with the cutout for the plug-wire loom.  There may be differences based on intake.  Check the fit with the 4bbl intake front & rear and compare to the fit with your 2bbl intake and the one you have.

A383Wing

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 26, 2009, 11:56:47 PM

That rings a bell.  I recall the one in the front with the cutout for the plug-wire loom.  There may be differences based on intake.  Check the fit with the 4bbl intake front & rear and compare to the fit with your 2bbl intake and the one you have.

Yes...cut-out for loom

bull

Seems I got a rear plate with the car but no front one. :rotz: Story of my life.

After seeing those pics it looks like I need one of these too: http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=101%2DPWBWR38

8WHEELER

Yes, you need a plug wire bracket kit, or you will have a mess. Are you going to run an HP pass side manifold?
Or the stock log manifold. By the way, those plates are not easy to find, everybody tosses them out fast.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 27, 2009, 03:41:39 AM
Yes, you need a plug wire bracket kit, or you will have a mess. Are you going to run an HP pass side manifold?
Or the stock log manifold. By the way, those plates are not easy to find, everybody tosses them out fast.

Dan

I'm going to run HPs on both sides but I'll keep the original pass side log along with all my other original take-offs. Now I'll have to start searching for a front plate but the good news is it's in the front and can be added later without too much fuss. I'd hate to try installing that back plate later once everything else is installed.

Ghoste

I've never seen them as a pair that I can recall, could that be a year specific thing?  I've only seen them as the one that Bull posted in his pic.

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on November 27, 2009, 03:48:57 AM

I'm going to run HPs on both sides but I'll keep the original pass side log along with all my other original take-offs. Now I'll have to start searching for a front plate but the good news is it's in the front and can be added later without too much fuss. I'd hate to try installing that back plate later once everything else is installed.

The plates have been reproduced by a friend of mine...if you are interested, I can get you a quote for the pair...

As Dan said, most people throw them away not knowing what they really are.....you are supposed to have both, not just one...

let me know if you want a set..

Bryan

Ghoste

Are you sure?  I've never seen it with more than the one (not that that means anything) and the engineering drawing Chris posted only shows one.  That's why I was curious if certain years may have only had one.

62 Max

Quote from: A383Wing on November 27, 2009, 12:09:58 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on November 26, 2009, 11:56:47 PM

That rings a bell.  I recall the one in the front with the cutout for the plug-wire loom.  There may be differences based on intake.  Check the fit with the 4bbl intake front & rear and compare to the fit with your 2bbl intake and the one you have.

Yes...cut-out for loom

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on November 27, 2009, 11:36:24 PM
Are you sure?  I've never seen it with more than the one (not that that means anything) and the engineering drawing Chris posted only shows one.  That's why I was curious if certain years may have only had one.

Chris's pic might be for a 69 too. I don't know how much data he keeps on other models, if you know what I mean.

charger2fast4u

ahh another good question answered. i remember taking mine off acouple years ago when i first got my 68 charger. i forgot where it went as i got into another project and have this on the sidelines for now. mine also only had one cover in the front only. it has a 73 440 engine in it.