News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve cover questions

Started by bull, November 22, 2009, 09:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm keeping my eyes open for a 1967 big block passenger side valve cover but I have some questions. I actually have a Jan. '68 Charger with an Aug. '67 engine so I'm thinking they changed on the '68 engines. I wondering what years of valve covers were the same as the '67? '66 maybe? Also, I thought someone was repopping the OE style valve covers? No?

Here's what it looks like (only not chrome):

Charger-Bodie

that looks like a 68 valve cover to me.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bull on November 22, 2009, 09:03:08 PM
I'm keeping my eyes open for a 1967 big block passenger side valve cover but I have some questions. I actually have a Jan. '68 Charger with an Aug. '67 engine so I'm thinking they changed on the '68 engines. I wondering what years of valve covers were the same as the '67? '66 maybe? Also, I thought someone was repopping the OE style valve covers? No?

If you have a 68 Charger you need a 68 V-cover - what engine you have doesn't really matter - You want your '68 to look like a '68 when you open the hood. Hold the phone - An August 67 motor sounds like a 68 motor to me. 68 car production started in August 67.   :2thumbs:

bull

So apparently the '67s are different? Is this a '68-only valve cover or do some other years match?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bull on November 22, 2009, 09:37:11 PM
So apparently the '67s are different? Is this a '68-only valve cover or do some other years match?

I had a nice original 67 GTX - I'll see if I was smart enough to take some good engine shots.

Charger-Bodie

Im not 100% on this but pretty sure that 67's had the slide on pvc. ...like a Hemi.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

A383Wing

66 pcv below, 67 pcv below that

bull

Hmmm. :scratchchin: Looks like they're all year-specific. Looks like the pcv on the 67 is the same as 68 but on the opposite end. And speaking of pcv valves, can you get those new?

Now I wonder what the '69 cover looks like? :scratchchin:

One more dumb question, what's this one bracket for on top?

Charger-Bodie

That "67" pic doesnt have 67 valve cover on it. ..it also has a 69 heater hose bracket on the rt apron.

That bracket on the 68 valve cover in your pic (bull) is for the heater hoses.

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 22, 2009, 10:34:04 PM
That "67" pic doesnt have 67 valve cover on it. ..it also has a 69 heater hose bracket on the rt apron.

That bracket on the 68 valve cover in your pic (bull) is for the heater hoses.

Thanks. What tied the hoses to it?

Charger-Bodie

A383Wing

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 22, 2009, 10:34:04 PM

Yea...I knew the "67" pic had the PCV on the wrong end...I was just pointing out the difference in the PCV valves in the 2 years

Try this 67 pic...it has no slide on cap for the PCV valve

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 22, 2009, 10:43:25 PM
A tin bracket......Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-67-68-GTX-Roadrunner-Heater-Hose-Bracket-NEW_W0QQitemZ400065058217QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5d25bc55a9

The one in the link is a non a/c part...The a/c one is taller.

Great. Thanks again. This stuff would be so much easier to figure out had the car not been continually rearranged for the past 35 years. But I guess that's one reason why we're here. :2thumbs:

bull

Oh, by the way, I might as well tell you guys why I'm looking for a valve cover. Maybe I'm being nit-picky but four of my six bendable tabs are busted off of the passenger valve cover and I'm hoping to find one that has them all intact. I'm starting to think that's close to impossible now. I've only seen a couple of the correct valve covers and neither had all the tabs still attached. Well, that's excluding the one in the pictures above which is for sale on Ebay for $500. :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-NOS-1967-GTX-CORONET-440-R-T-VALVE-COVER_W0QQitemZ200401900351QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea8e2533f

Charger-Bodie

Grind off the old ones,and weld on some new ones.

8WHEELER

Quote from: bull on November 22, 2009, 11:19:00 PM
Oh, by the way, I might as well tell you guys why I'm looking for a valve cover. Maybe I'm being nit-picky but four of my six bendable tabs are busted off of the passenger valve cover and I'm hoping to find one that has them all intact. I'm starting to think that's close to impossible now. I've only seen a couple of the correct valve covers and neither had all the tabs still attached. Well, that's excluding the one in the pictures above which is for sale on Ebay for $500. :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-NOS-1967-GTX-CORONET-440-R-T-VALVE-COVER_W0QQitemZ200401900351QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea8e2533f

Your not being to picky, you want them to be right. It is a pain in the ars to get a good set of 67-68 valve covers.
And keep in mind Curtis, if the drivers side exhaust manifold is the HP style, the number 7 spark plug wire runs under
the manifold, so the drivers side valve cover should NOT have the two spark plug wire holders on top of the valve cover.
Lots of people do that, and it looks wrong with those two stands sticking up, with no wires in them, just FYI  :yesnod:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 23, 2009, 03:43:07 AM
Quote from: bull on November 22, 2009, 11:19:00 PM

Your not being to picky, you want them to be right. It is a pain in the ars to get a good set of 67-68 valve covers.
And keep in mind Curtis, if the drivers side exhaust manifold is the HP style, the number 7 spark plug wire runs under
the manifold, so the drivers side valve cover should NOT have the two spark plug wire holders on top of the valve cover.
Lots of people do that, and it looks wrong with those two stands sticking up, with no wires in them, just FWI  :yesnod:

Dan

Thanks, Dan. My driver's side cover has nothing except the breather tube so I believe its correct. The factory tabs on the other side have a built-in weak spot where the hole is near the base. I'm sure they'd be fine if you never used them. :icon_smile_big:

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 22, 2009, 11:27:13 PM

I thought of that too but I'd still have to find a valve cover that has at least two tabs still attached, unless they repop those tabs. Do they?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on November 23, 2009, 11:38:46 AM

I thought of that too but I'd still have to find a valve cover that has at least two tabs still attached, unless they repop those tabs. Do they?

They are the same ones that hold the wiring in the trunk,on the left trunk extention panel. Yes I believe the repop them. I cant remember who,Maybe Megaparts...608 452 2045

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 23, 2009, 11:54:44 AM
Quote from: bull on November 23, 2009, 11:38:46 AM

They are the same ones that hold the wiring in the trunk,on the left trunk extention panel. Yes I believe the repop them. I cant remember who,Maybe Megaparts...608 452 2045

Yup, you're right, although they're a little different. I couldn't find them on any of the websites yesterday but I called Megaparts just now and they gave me the part number 146-VCB: http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=146%2DVCB

Maybe I'll just drill a 1/8" hole in the middle of them and braize them on. :shruggy:

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: bull on November 22, 2009, 09:03:08 PM

If you decide that you cant use them, I would be interested in purchasing them from you.

Thanks,

bull

Ghoste

I need to move to one of these areas where the recession never hit.  500 dollar valve covers and 4 million dollar Chargers  ::) sheesh.  (I know they 're perfect but, wow)

Sixt8Chrgr

62 Max

When i saw the price i knew who the seller was before I ever looked.Worse than Frank Mitchell. :pity: