News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Going Crazy ? Talk some sense into me

Started by Rolling_Thunder, November 22, 2009, 08:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Alright guys - I am just finishing up the 6 year restoration of my 68 Charger (some of you probably already know this) - but I look into my back yard and see 2 other mopars just chilling out there...   a 69 Road Runner and a 66 Convertible Satellite...      I am graduating college within the next year and have already planned to move to Houston TX and enlist in the USAF out there. I will need money to move and things to live on === am thinking of just selling my two other mopars and buying something a little more practical to play with...    My Charger will be done and I already have a reliable daily driver (2004 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner) - but I want something more performance oriented than my Satellite could ever be...     I am honestly thinking about buying a 1993-1998 Toyota Supra...     quick, look good, within my budget, and handles very well...      I do not need the whole "OMG a Toyota!" bullshit -  I am not against a toyota - they are more what I need in life at this point...    something reliable and fun. When I move to TX - I will have one complete year of training - then a complete year of deployment. 

So - am I completely off my rock or what ?

I will still have my Charger so I can still cure my itch.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dans 68

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 22, 2009, 08:09:44 PM
...So - am I completely off my rock or what ?...

No. Sounds like you have good grasp on reality.

...I will still have my Charger so I can still cure my itch.

Good man. Again, it sounds like all your marbles are in place.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

captnsim

Keep your truck, use it to move. Forget the Supra, live off of the money it would cost to buy. (gotta say they are sharp!) Your not going to have time to enjoy it anyway if your going to join.

Save your Mopar's, as later you will have the time and desire to bring them back.

Sell them and you may regret it. As many have for years to come.

But...If you feel you can't live without the Supra, get it.

Alaskan_TA

If you move to Texas without a pick-up truck, they will not let you in.  :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

If your Graduating College, why would you enlist. Hell, be a Officer and make twice the money and deal with half the BS. :Twocents:

41husk

I agree with acudanut, If you can get in to an OCS program, it is much more money.  In addition the Air Force is the slowest for upward mobility of all the branches.  If you must go enlisted, why not go Navy, Marine Corp. or Army witch all have faster promotion?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 22, 2009, 09:13:41 PM
If your Graduating College, why would you enlist. Hell, be a Officer and make twice the money and deal with half the BS. :Twocents:

Quote from: 41husk on November 22, 2009, 09:22:52 PM
I agree with acudanut, If you can get in to an OCS program, it is much more money.  In addition the Air Force is the slowest for upward mobility of all the branches.  If you must go enlisted, why not go Navy, Marine Corp. or Army witch all have faster promotion?

Now they're rethinking everything for you. :lol:

captnsim

There is alot to consider when joining and becoming a officer.
For one, your commission is almost a lifelong commitment...You may find yourself being recalled to service when you least expect it. Like years later after you have a established business. Another is being in charge is not all it's cracked up to be.

If your looking to make the military a career. Go officer, no question. If your looking for a little experience and some great benefits...go enlisted.

But I think your recruiter has allready gone over this with you.

41husk

Wow!!  have you ever served in the military?  I served over 10 years in the Navy.  Any one whi serves, officer or enlisted is commited for life.  If you have ever served, you can be recalled.  Officer or enlisted have the same obligation.  I served ten years in the Navy as a BT.  If the Government at any time decided they needed my service, I would be required to report.  Same for officer and enlisted.  Why not get more pay from the start?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

chargergirl

With a degree you should be in officer training in any branch. It is true that they won't let you into Texas without a truck and it needs to go from 0-60 in 2 seconds or they WILL run you over. As for the other two cars...to keep them in storage will cost...and the military will only move so much for you and then you have to leave the rest. Many cars in the compound are sold for cheap cause they just can't go...what do you see yourself doing in five years in the military...I see you moving at least three times...you already stated two.
Trust your Woobie!

captnsim

Quote from: 41husk on November 22, 2009, 09:53:00 PM
Wow!!  have you ever served in the military?  I served over 10 years in the Navy.  Any one whi serves, officer or enlisted is commited for life.  If you have ever served, you can be recalled.  Officer or enlisted have the same obligation.  I served ten years in the Navy as a BT.  If the Government at any time decided they needed my service, I would be required to report.  Same for officer and enlisted.  Why not get more pay from the start?
Every one who serves is committed for life, that's just the way it is.
But a enlisted man/woman is only in for the duration of their contract, plus they can be recalled up to 8 years after they are discharged...Unless some nasty like stoploss comes up while enlisted. Some enlisted can be called back if there MOS is critical.
A commissioned officer is in for eternity unless you resign your commission.(which can be refused)
A discharge (unless it's one that makes you unfit for duty) or retirement does not count.

Commissions and enlistments are substantively and legally TWO separate things...

b5blue

If you think about your income and USAF commitment,  you will only be able to have 1 P.O.V. and if your duty goes like mine.....you will NOT be living where you think, you will be living where they send you. Many of my friends had to dump there ride because they were not where they thought they would be and then got sent somewhere else. Take a hard look at what your pay is going to be realistically and far it can go....can you store your Charger safely somewhere for free? Most can't. I'm not saying don't go I'm saying leave your options open and save your money up, down size the fleet first. After awhile you will settle in to some base but first you have basic then training in your field, then you go to your Base to earn your 5 level and some stripes.  :Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

Alright - need to clarify - I am joining the Texas air guard - active reserve.

To answer why the USAF - I know they promote slow - If I enlist I will start out as an E3 - Promotion to E5 will take about 4 years from there. It is indeed a very slow process. However the job I am looking at doing is only in the Air Force (Tactical Air Control Party) - As an officer this job is impossible to get. It is enlisted members only. I well be stationed at the 147th Recon Unit in Houston.

I will 99% keep my Charger at my parents' house here in California until I get back from training/deployment.  This unit SOMETIMES allows people to report once every 3 months ( for 6 days) rather than one weekend a month. I need to discuss this option with people when I get there.

Another benefit is my best friend is a senior NCO and will be stationed at that same unit and has already agreed to be my senior team leader.

I am not doing this for money - as I will have a normal 9-5 job in the civilian world - - -       

I do plan on taking my truck to TX - but also thought a play toy other than my Charger would be nice.

I am honestly to the point of saying I no longer want car parts everywhere....    I want something to tinker on - not take another 6 years to restore...     :shruggy:

tan top

Quote from: Dans 68 on November 22, 2009, 08:22:24 PM
...So - am I completely off my rock or what ?...

No. Sounds like you have good grasp on reality.

...I will still have my Charger so I can still cure my itch.

Good man. Again, it sounds like all your marbles are in place.  :2thumbs:

Dan

yep :iagree: good game plan
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 41husk on November 22, 2009, 09:53:00 PM
Wow!!  have you ever served in the military?  I served over 10 years in the Navy.  Any one whi serves, officer or enlisted is commited for life.  If you have ever served, you can be recalled.  Officer or enlisted have the same obligation.  I served ten years in the Navy as a BT.  If the Government at any time decided they needed my service, I would be required to report.  Same for officer and enlisted.  Why not get more pay from the start?
Commited for life ? WRONG. Care to place a Bet. Better yet, Show me that DD form that says it.

68charger383

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 23, 2009, 01:20:42 AM
I will 99% keep my Charger at my parents' house here in California until I get back from training/deployment.  This unit SOMETIMES allows people to report once every 3 months ( for 6 days) rather than one weekend a month. I need to discuss this option with people when I get there.

I am not doing this for money - as I will have a normal 9-5 job in the civilian world - - -       

I do plan on taking my truck to TX - but also thought a play toy other than my Charger would be nice.

I am honestly to the point of saying I no longer want car parts everywhere....    I want something to tinker on - not take another 6 years to restore...     :shruggy:
I think the move out of CA might be a good one since it sounds like your just starting out. I know it's a lot cheaper to buy a house in Texas than LA. Your better off selling some of the cars now when you have the time and are in town then later when your parents are on you to move the cars and you are a three hour plane ride away. If you change your mind, there are plenty of cars in texas to buy!
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

The70RT

A Toyota more performance oriented then your Satelite would ever be? ......you mean more economical.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: The70RT on November 23, 2009, 08:50:44 PM
A Toyota more performance oriented then your Satelite would ever be? ......you mean more economical.

No - I did mean more performance oriented - the Satellite is a nice cruising car but as far as performance it would be very difficult to match a supra - with the amount of $$$ I would spend on the Satellite - the Supra seems more car for the same money.    :shruggy:

Troy

I'd do it - of course I'm not a fan of the RR or Satellite and I happen to like Supras. The Supra would make a decent driver too if you don't go crazy with the modifications. Although, the Tacoma is great for driving duties as well and it will haul parts. I don't think most Texans consider them to be trucks though... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 24, 2009, 01:55:22 AM
Quote from: The70RT on November 23, 2009, 08:50:44 PM

No - I did mean more performance oriented - the Satellite is a nice cruising car but as far as performance it would be very difficult to match a supra - with the amount of $$$ I would spend on the Satellite - the Supra seems more car for the same money.    :shruggy:

I like the Supras too. You could also look at an older NSX or an RX7.

RR for sale huh.... :scratchchin:

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ErikH

Quote from: captnsim on November 22, 2009, 09:35:55 PM
There is alot to consider when joining and becoming a officer.
For one, your commission is almost a lifelong commitment...You may find yourself being recalled to service when you least expect it. Like years later after you have a established business. Another is being in charge is not all it's cracked up to be.

If your looking to make the military a career. Go officer, no question. If your looking for a little experience and some great benefits...go enlisted.

But I think your recruiter has allready gone over this with you.

Unless you are going to be a pilot, the officer commitment is only for four years.  Most stay longer because it is such a great thing to do.  I just retired after 22 years as an officer in the Air Force...I'd recommend it to anyone...even my kids if only they'd do it.  Depends on your circumstances.  As a junior officer on active duty, the service swiftly becomes your life.  My two pfennig.
68 Charger R/T, 440/727
Blue with blue interior, black vinyl top, RT stripe