News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Classic" rock songs you absolutely can't stand

Started by 71charger_fan, November 30, 2005, 09:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

Listening to "classic" rock stations I've come to the conclusion that the word classic as used by them doesn't really have much meaning. Which "classics" make you cringe, change the station, or switch to tape/CD when they come on? I think the one that's the most like fingernails on a blackboard for me is "Roxanne" by the Police. It still boggles my mind that people paid money for that.

Shakey

Ballroom Blitz - Had enough of that one!

Although I am a huge fan of Classic Rock, there are probably countless more but that is the first one that came to mind. 

I will most likely check back in and agree with others, as I do with the first post and that whiny Roxanne song that almost made me sick when I heard Eddie Murphy singing it in prison in 48 Hrs.

HAZZARDJOHN

I love Classic Rock, but what always gets me is that my CLassic rock station Plays Elton John! :flame: How does that no talent a$$ clown,(sorry just saw office space again! ;D) think his music is classic rock?   :puke:
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

Old Moparz

Anyone who turns on a radio these days for the very first time & tunes into a classic rock station, or even an oldies station, would think that there were only 9 bands or singers that ever existed from the 1950's all the way to the 1970's. In that same span, there were only 13 songs ever recorded in total. I hate hearing all of them over, & over, & over, so I stopped listening to the radio except for college stations that play different things.

Whether the songs are good or not, I hate hearing.....

Staiway to Heaven
Surfin' Safari
Freebird
Anything by Janis Joplin
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nh_mopar_fan

Anything by the freaking Doors.

We have a classic rock station in Boston that should be called. "All Aerosmith, all the time". Now, I can understand that since they are local, they'd be popular and be played more often. Hell, I've seen them a few times and like their older stuff too. But, this station insists on playing the swill like, "Love in an elevator", "Dude looks like a lady"  :no: and the truly terrible cover of "Come Together".  :sick:

andy74

i cringe when i hear almost any "classic rock"now days. all the local station plays is freebird,sweet home alabama,and the grateful dead-thats why i have a cd player in the charger

Shakey

Sounds like we're all getting old and "can't stand that blasted music anymore"!

About two years ago I started to listen to the all news station during my 45 minute commute to work.  That started getting stale as the slightest story got so hyped up that it was almost comical.

Now all I listen to is talk radio.  Sometime it gets political, sometimes its on current events and sometimes it just plain funny.

bull

I'll probably get blasted for this but I've never understood all the hype over Led Zepplin. I've only ever liked a few of their songs and by "like" I really mean "tolerate." Janis Joplin is another and for the life of me I just can't make myself enjoy anything by Jimmy Hendrix. Never really cared for The Doors either. Don't like Elton John. Never even got excited about The Beatles or The Stones or Aerosmith. I do like a lot of what they call Southern rock such as Skynard, ZZ TOP, Allman Bros. and 38 Special among others.

When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

dodgecharger-fan

"Drop Your Guns" by April Wine

It sounds like something that Spinal Tap would do.

I swear the singer is reading a book to a melody. There's no real cadence to the lyrics.
It drives me insane.

That song and just about anything by the following artists will make me change the station or switch to a CD:
Bob Segar (even the early stuff just makes me think of wedding DJs)
Bruce Springsteen
Bryan Adams (Summer of 69 is okay but it's overdone)
Phil Collins era Genesis ( I don't consider his solo stuff Rock let alone classic rock.)

TK73

I can't stand radio, pretty much quit listneing to it in the '80s.  Tune in every now and then and get pissed off by the amount of ads, go back to CDs...

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Ponch ®

Almost everything by Journey, Fleetwood Mac (is it even rock?), Foreigner, etc..
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

CB

song: :puke: 'paradise by the dashbord lights' from Meatlove. I makes me wanna trash something. Or some-one.

Group: Also can't stand U2, Sting, Santana (can't stand electric guitar) and other bone heads.

OK, now I am some turt  ;D
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

41husk

If you feel the need to fight over Ace, Gene and the boys, your problems go much further than I first anticipated :yesnod: :icon_smile_big: :nutkick:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Dale The Bold

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on November 30, 2005, 09:51:50 AM
Anything by the freaking Doors.

I came here to post exactly that.  People seem to worship The Doors.  But they bore me to death (and Light My Fire lasts an eternity..."the time to entertain is through," indeed).  The same goes for Kurt Cobain (too recent to be called "classic" though), I never understood the appeal nor the need for people to lash out whenever I say his music is grating and repetitive.  Maybe it's just culturally forbidden to dislike someone who died in a tragic way.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

69_500

The song I can't stand is

Age of Aquarius.

That and Hotel California, the short version is okay but the full version is dreadful.

derailed

Any one of the 20 songs that a clearchannel radio station plays

CaptMarvel

Quote from: andy74 on November 30, 2005, 10:22:37 AM
i cringe when i hear almost any "classic rock"now days. all the local station plays is freebird,sweet home alabama,and the grateful dead-thats why i have a cd player in the charger

I wish our local classics station played some Dead....What I really get tired of is Elton John & other Queens like Queen,  also Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac (like em, but have heard enough!) and the Stones (another good band that is overplayed to death!- besides I think Mick Jagger is a pretty big jerk) I'd really like to hear more ZZ Top older bluesy stuff & Another thing that totally cracks me up is they are now playing Mottly Crue & Bon Jovi on classics stations. Man, I must be getting old...(they arent classic!)

Orange_Crush

Fleetwood mac.  The band that proves that you can have no voice, no talent to speak of, sing smarmy, derivative songs, and still somehow attain legend status.

At least Elton John and Queen (ESPECIALLY Queen) have talent.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

CaptMarvel

Yea I agree with the Doors being way overworshipped & Jim Morrison was a freak to boot! Another one I never could understand was U2, common, theyre not that special. Never got into Journey either (they were more of a chicks rock band) I did like Foreigner though, they rocked! Rush also was good....

doechsle

Ponch doesn't like Foreigner? (slide my chair away from Ponch, cough fag cough)

Old Moparz

Quote from: Orange_Crush on November 30, 2005, 03:36:37 PM
Fleetwood mac.   The band that proves that you can have no voice, no talent to speak of, sing smarmy, derivative songs, and still somehow attain legend status.

At least Elton John and Queen (ESPECIALLY Queen) have talent.

Hey OC,

Have you ever heard Fleetwood Mac before Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks? It's a completely different band, & the even earlier stuff was almost all blues & actually very good. I was shocked to hear it after so many years of the top 40 sounds they did later on.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus