News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 3-Speed Wiper Motor

Started by mike337, November 21, 2009, 11:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike337

I have the original 3-speed wiper motor from my car, and also another one from a parts car.  I was testing both motors today and noticed that one motor has an additional 2 wires in the firewall connector plug (for a total of 8 wires).  They look original, are a heavier gauge wire than the ones that go to the wiper motor, and split off from the wiring to the wiper motor.  One is green, and the other is blue.  The green one terminates at a separate grey plastic single wire male connector, the blue ends in a cut wire.  Anyone have an idea of what these mystery wires go to? :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Are they the same part number and date?

Nacho-RT74

1st and 2nd gens share same 8 cavities plug for another functions. 3rd gens are 4 cavities ( all full ) to both motors, 2 and 3 speeds. 69 for example use an extra plug attached to same wiper plug to drive the back up lamps from tranny ( if lates 69 )

Wiring doesn't change to motors, just part of the linkage and switch ( beside the motor of course )

green and blue wires matches for AC function ( blue compressor, green blower )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mike337

Nacho-RT74

you're welcome...

not saying THOSE WIRES are for that, but too much casuality both together on same plug ;) saying me is for that
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mike337

Makes sense since my car has AC, and the parts car did not.

Thanx Again

jeryst

Did all 69's have a 3 speed wiper motor?

I believe mine only has 2 speeds.

Would there actually be an extra position on the switch?

mike337

Not all Chargers.  Mine was an option item, probably included with SE package.  I have been told that 6-pack engines had to have it for clearance issues between the wiper motor and air cleaner.

Mike

resq302

Quote from: mike337 on November 27, 2009, 02:32:59 PM
Not all Chargers.  Mine was an option item, probably included with SE package.  I have been told that 6-pack engines had to have it for clearance issues between the wiper motor and air cleaner.

Mike

Mike, you are correct.  Optional on 68-70 chargers but required on 6 pack cars and hemi cars due to clearance with the air cleaner assembly.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

Quote from: resq302 on November 27, 2009, 03:41:40 PM
Quote from: mike337 on November 27, 2009, 02:32:59 PM

Mike

Mike, you are correct.  Optional on 68-70 chargers but required on 6 pack cars and hemi cars due to clearance with the air cleaner assembly.

I think 68-69 Hemi Dodges could have a 2-speed because they were still using the "Chrome Dome" air cleaner.....Gonna look it up. 69 Hemi Plymouths used the oval air cleaner which needed the 3-speed wiper motor for clearance.

UFO

The 3 spd was standard with the hemi option.Or should I put it the literature says it is.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: UFO on November 27, 2009, 07:55:38 PM
The 3 spd was standard with the hemi option.Or should I put it the literature says it is.

You are probably right - I was just pondering the possibility.........slow news day in Canada   ;D

madgus2000

I think all Charger (R/T option) came with the 3 speed wiper motor.
1968 Hemi Charger R/T Red
1968 Hemi Charger R/T Silver
1968 Hemi Charger R/T White
1969 Daytona XX
2006 Daytona 057-200 TorRed

fy469rtse

Jeryst
Yes three speed wiper also has a three speed switch , you can tell them at first sight, they have a small resistor on back of switch , and yes three positions