News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

?? Power-Lok or Trak-Lok ??

Started by Steve P., September 18, 2008, 11:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

Since I have no real clue as to the difference in them other than what I can see, I pose the questions:

1) which one is stronger?

2) By how much?

3) If it's a torque problem, how much torque can they each take?

4) Any other reason why one over the other??

I have one of each. the POWER-LOK will need new side gears as they only have a 13 or so spline count.

The Trak-Lok is in nice shape as well and has a 30 spline count.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BrianShaughnessy

I just had to rebuild my trac lok.   One wheel peeling after 11K miles or so.   Dr. Diff set me up with a kit for $65 or so.  Then I had to find some new cupped thrust washers for the spider gears after I FU'd them.  I found a rebuild procedure but it was kind of a bastard to get apart and put back together (big bolts, thick washers, brass punches,  and a BFH.).

Powr lok is 2 cross shafts with 4 spider gears while the trac lok is 1 shaft with 2 spider gears.

The powr lok should be your first choice over the trak lok if available.    The other option would be a true trac diff.    I'd have bought a true trak if I wasn't still buying engine parts for the stroker.    If it goes out again in a  short time then it's gone for sure.   

Newer trac lok diffs aren't as prone to cracking as the older models which used to be known as crack-loks.   

I wasn't offered a choice of the powr lok at the time the rear got put together - new units weren't available and the guy who did my rear dealt with Moser who didn't offer powr lok.   I wanted a detroit locker at the time.  I let myself get talked out of it. 

If you need new side gears or clutch kits call up Dr. Diff.  He's got it all.  :2thumbs:     He basically recommends a rebuilt powr lok over a new powr lok unit due to some chinese parts in the new units.     
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.