News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Intermattent squeel & slugginshness for 2-3 shift on 727

Started by 69RTSEV88, September 17, 2008, 02:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSEV88

I have been driving my 69 Charger around for a few weeks now after finishing its 2 year makeover.  Due to budget limits, I did not rebuild the 727 because it seemed to shift and work just fine before I took the car apart.  The other day while on a rather long drive (about 60 miles) the tranny started to make a squeal when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, also the shift was a little sluggish, (not a slip, just not a crisp as usual).  It did this maybe 3-4 times in a row, and then the problem went away and it went back to shifting perfectly.  Just today I did the same drive again, and the same exact thing happened, 3 or 4 squealing shifts, and it squealed when I took it out of park and went into reverse.  Then everything went back to normal.  I noticed that while having the problem, if I manually shifted from 2 to 3 and just slightly backed off the throttle a bit that it shifted fine.  The car is a 69 R/T, stock 440 with a stock 727 with a B & M shift improver kit, stock converter, 3.23 gears.  I have changed the fluid & filter, fluid is Type F.  1-2 shift is always perfect.  Is it a possible heat issue, as it only does it when its hot, and I'm not running an extra cooler? Or maybe something much worse is going on.
Thanks

John_Kunkel

The squeal is usually caused by a rapidly cycling pressure regulator valve, more of an annoyance than a real problem. It's not usually accompanied by any operational difficulty but I suppose the cycling valve could cause a pressure drop that accounts for the lazy shift.

The factory recommended fix is to replace the whole valve body with new. I'd just ignore it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

John_Kunkel

After rereading the OP I had another thought (uh-oh)  ::)

Since the front clutch is involved in both 3rd gear and Reverse and the squeal occurs in both gears when it's warmed up, it could be leaky front clutch seals; high pressure fluid leaks often make a squealing noise. If the seals are hardened from age, an additive like Lucas or Trans-X might rejuvenate them.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.