News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid Antenna Question

Started by Long Island RT, November 12, 2009, 02:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Island RT

Why do you need one?

Why can't the cars body be it's own antenna?

Obviously I know nothing about radio waves and I only ask because I'd like to remove mine.  How else could I get radio reception without one?  Can I hide one say inside the a-pillar trim?

Thanks
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Topher

You can hide one above the headliner like some of the newer cars do.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Long Island RT

So it doesn't need to be perpendicular to the ground?
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

twodko

Hey Long Island TR!

The idea behind a perpendicular metal surface for an antennae is to provide a "ground Plane" which functions as a reflector or director for signal reception or transmission. In automotive use it works as a director allowing the antenna to receive as strong an incoming signal as possible. Without a ground plane the signal path is open making reception very weak. There are antennas that can be hidden but they must be electrically isolated from any surrounding metal surface otherwise it would result in a dead short. Lastly, its my understanding that running an antenna parallel to another metal surface will cause a RF/signal bounce back condition rendering the antenna unable to receive.
Your best bet would be finding an amateur radio group in your area, someone with a Technician license or above. These folks know their stuff andcan better advise you on relocating/hiding a car's AM/FM antenna. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is. My antenna theory classes were a lifetime ago.

Tom

PS Thread wire embedded in window glass still use the metal surfaces of the car as its ground plane.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

68X426

Quote from: Long Island RT on November 12, 2009, 02:22:43 PM
Why do you need one?

Answer: because Chrysler said so! :shruggy:

Seriously, here may be an alterantive that could help you. I've never seen one and know no one who has tried it, but it's an option. And $29.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA20/Universal-Antenna.html?tp=3449

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

b5blue

You can't use the body as it is - polarity to the radio that needs both - and + to operate so forget that the ant needs to be neither. You can't "hide" an antenna inside a steel enclosure as you would shield it from the rather weak RF signal your trying to receive. The "ground plane" concept is for transmitting, for reception you want the antenna A: as high as possible, B: as short a run as possible between the receiver and antenna (as you loose strength of signal with distance), C: as unobstructed position as possible. Factory radios are "tuned" for factory masts for generally the best reception range. Add this up and you see why the factory put the antenna where it is and what it is. If you use a "hidden" ant. be ready for crappy fade in and out reception of all but the closer stations and that thing where you change direction or get in an area of terrain or buildings and loose signal.  :2thumbs:   

pandamarie

Ive shaved the antenna off of my challenger and charger and just used the antenna wire from the radio laying across the heater housing with a cheap fm booster I found at walmart and my radios work better than they did with the original antenna and dont look so ugly. I hate the looks of the mopar antenna, breaks up the nice lines of the fender with what amounts to a sore thumb.

mauve66

i've been toying with the idea of using the antennae/defroster from my wifes concorde (new of course from the dealer), its a single unit and i can get the rear window defogged when i need it, plus with it tinted not many purists will know its even there, although i do like the look of the satellite antennae shark fins that the BMW's have, but have been told that they don't work for regular radio, alot of cars nowdays have there antennae in the window
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment