News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sta-bil Winterizing?

Started by Mopar Crazy, November 27, 2005, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

Some guys are putting Sta bil in the tanks for the winter.
I filled my tank with super and I start the car once or twice a month.
The car is not exposed to the elements, but is is exposed to the cold.
Does anyone have opinions about this??????
Thanks
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Silver R/T

some people do not like stabil, they say it just cruds up gas. personally I would just drain gas if car is stored whole winter. Starting it once in while isnt good either, it just keeps condensation in engine/exhaust, you need to run car for while, like on freeway to get all the condensation out
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

I have never used it & have never had a problem personally I prefer a full tank , more fuel to evapoate off & less air to create condensation / water in the fuel tank

Ghoste

I've used it in my lawn mower but that's about it.  I do the same as CP.  I also fire mine up once in awhile but I agree with Silver.  One year I just started it up every now and again and let it idle in the garage and it built up condensation in the crankcase.  I thought I had coolant in the pan when I drained it in the spring.  Now when I fire it, I try to drive it even a little ways and then sit in the garage long enough to get hot.  That seems to work for me okay the last few years.

Mopar Crazy

Excellent points....
Neil,  I can't drive the car on the road because of the grit and salt they put down already....
        My tank is full and it's next to impossible to drain it at this point.
Ghost- has a good point about the condinsation in the crank case by just idling it..
1. If I let the engine sit without staring it all winter, will it hurt it??
what would be the best way to start it in the spring without causing any damage??
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Chryco Psycho

I would leave the tank full , it will be ok if you leave it all winter better if it is at least in a dry indoor storage

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quotewhat would be the best way to start it in the spring without causing any damage??

I dont start mine till the spring......I just check the oil, pull the coil wire to get some psi up while cranking and then start her up in March/ April   :-[
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

haueter66

I use stabil in my bayliner but thats a 4.3L chebby engine ... so its pretty shitty already  ;D

never seemed to hurt anything tho, and the boat is going on 11 years old...

BigBlockSam

i start mine ounce a week over the winter months. i make sure it reaches operating temp. i also run the heat in the car. make sure the car heats up good. i want to try to remove as much moister from the car as possible. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

Another thing that some do if they aren't going to start the engine all winter is to loosen off the rocker shafts and allow the valvesprings to stretch out.   Some say it isn't necessary for just a few months of idle time.   I don't know but it can't hurt either if it concerns you.

moparguy01

I dont like Sta-bil. it gummed up my motorcycle over the winter pretty good the other year. What i find works real nicely is Sea-foam. and it burns out nicely in the spring without having to worry about it.

one thing i do know though, DO NOT DRAIN THE FUEL UNLESS YOU ARE BRINGING THE TANK IN DOORS IN A HEATED AREA. it causes rust issues. fill the tank to the top before storage! and even for a short winter storage put the sunvisors straight down. unless you like mice eating your headliner. and drier sheets. put many drier sheets under the seats. and replace them once a month. then of course cap off the exhaust.

but dont store a gas tank empty. youll never have it completely dry.

Ghoste

We should all just move south. ;D

haueter66

BigBlockSam

QuoteWe should all just move south.   

me too
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Chryco Psycho

I`m in , anyoner have a Green card for me ?

Ghoste

Green card?   We doan need no steenkeen green cards. 
We'll just go down there and join the underground work force.