News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not Just Another 69 Charger Build Thread

Started by miller time, November 17, 2009, 06:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparsons

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 21, 2009, 01:16:39 AM
Just get Maaco to do a quick paint job on it dude. It'll be more durible than spray cans. Trust me, with non gloss spray paint, you see every single scratch and mark. My Charger is red primer and you can see EVERYTHING.

He's right. I flat black rattle canned my 4 door dart....and when I wash it, it leaves marks in the paint, when you rub up against it, it leaves marks......everything is very visible.

miller time

Well it's to late now, I just got done spraying the engine bay and inner fenders finish up around 3:20 AM.
Also I want it like this because if I scratch it, spend $1.04 for paint and a little sand paper and fix the spot, I dont want it to look done, this way I have a motive to get a real paint job. :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: miller time on November 21, 2009, 03:31:30 AM
Also I want it like this because if I scratch it, spend $1.04 for paint and a little sand paper and fix the spot,

I have also done that and it never looks the same. The touched up spot always looks abit different. Also, primer turns all your towels the colour of the primer! :lol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

RCKSTR

Im glad hes finally "accepting" advice, even if he isnt following it, but does anyone else get the feeling his charger is gonna end up like this one?   :slap:

SG1022

moparsons

Nah.....a spongebob second gen would be way cooler!!! :rofl:

miller time

Ignoring that,
I cant follow advice when its 2 hours too late.
I cant upload pictures, I've tried to, many times.

moparsons

Just so you know.....I myself wasn't picking on you, but on that abomination chagnum.   I admire you doing what you can with what you have. I'm kinda jealous as I'm pushing 30 and don't even have a charger. Just take your time and listen to these guys' advice(most of em) and I'm sure it'll turn out really nice.

RCKSTR

Quote from: miller time on November 21, 2009, 07:04:03 PM
Ignoring that,
I cant follow advice when its 2 hours too late.
I cant upload pictures, I've tried to, many times.

:shruggy: Everyone was telling you for days before you spray painted it, not to spray paint it. Spray paint is weak, it will chip off, if you put automotive paint overtop of spray paint, it will almost certainly peel and lift. It is not the right thing to do, and if you cant afford to do the right thing, dont do anything at all. My car has been sitting for 2 years because Im not going to rush it and do a half assed job. Do it right, do it once.  :Twocents: Welcome back to the site.,  :2thumbs:

miller time

Quote:shruggy: Everyone was telling you for days before you spray painted it, not to spray paint it. Spray paint is weak, it will chip off, if you put automotive paint overtop of spray paint, it will almost certainly peel and lift. It is not the right thing to do, and if you cant afford to do the right thing, dont do anything at all. My car has been sitting for 2 years because Im not going to rush it and do a half assed job. Do it right, do it once.  :Twocents: Welcome back to the site.,  :2thumbs:

Ok, I know where your coming from, I was on the verge of selling it because I can't have a car that I can't drive, I asked and was told to build now paint later, I know spray paint will chip, that's why I didn't use a shine color, for ease of repainting, all I need it todo is stop rust for a year or two. When I get it repainted I'm having someone else do EVERYTHING except tear down and rebuild so I get my warrenty and I dislike body work. I agree to do it right, that's why I fixed the bad paint it had on there. I know where your coming from, I hope you can see where I was stuck at, it was sell or build time. Thanks for clearing that up and the welcome. :cheers:

Thanks Moparsons.

472 R/T SE

There was a thread, actually a couple on moparts where folks were using a roller.  Suppose to have turned out good too.

miller time

I heard about that, they used rustolem and a foam roller, wet sand and another coat, no orange peal.

69bronzeT5

If you got some pictures, email them to me at cole_383@hotmail.com and I'll post them up for you.

69bronzeT5

miller time

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
That's a sexy Charger right there, the owner must be a badass.

Thanks 69bronzet5 :2thumbs:, one day I'll learn lol.

Back N Black

I say fix the mechanical and drive it, worry about body and paint later.If not it will spend years in your garage or will get sick of looking at it and sell for a Honda.

miller time

Quote from: Back N Black on November 22, 2009, 06:56:50 PM
I say fix the mechanical and drive it, worry about body and paint later.If not it will spend years in your garage or will get sick of looking at it and sell for a Honda.
:eek2: honda :eek2: I had accually stated looking for a truck to trade for, but came to my senses!

miller time

Update:
Installed- radiator, battery tray, passager suspension and steering set up, thermoustat and its housing, and right header.
Finsished- Painting engine bay, and k-member.
Maby fuel system and rear shocks tommarrow and maby start prepinginterior for touch up paint.

miller time

Do I want a fan shroud or need one?
Can I panel bond my cowl back on or do I need to weld it?
Fan clutch?
Where do I install my new fuse box and where do the wires run through the firewall? and in to the trunk?
where does the heater box mount?
Thanks. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

In Florida, I'd say yes you will want a fan shroud.  Fan clutch, why not?  Wiring goes through a rectangular (nearly square) hole on the drivers side of the firewall just above and to the left of the steering column (from inside the car).  Trunk wiring runs along inside the drivers side sill.  Heater box mounts on the inside of the firewall on the passenger side.

miller time

Quote from: Ghoste on November 22, 2009, 11:15:32 PM
In Florida, I'd say yes you will want a fan shroud.  Fan clutch, why not?  Wiring goes through a rectangular (nearly square) hole on the drivers side of the firewall just above and to the left of the steering column (from inside the car).  Trunk wiring runs along inside the drivers side sill.  Heater box mounts on the inside of the firewall on the passenger side.
Thanks, your a dang genous at this!
Where do the wires go into the trunk? through the dries side hole or on the wheel well and how do I get them to the lights in the back?

Ghoste

It's hard to explain over the internet but essentially, they travel behind the drivers side kick panel and then under small metal brackets by that door sill (there is a thread on these someplace else on the site right now) going back and over the wheel well and straight on back to the tail panel.
You don't have an fsm by any chance?

miller time

Whats an fsm?
I know where they go in the cab just not in the truck..... Also those metal covers dont exist in my car, I think they rotted off when the rest of the car rotted, but Oh well I'll just sticky tape the wire cover down and carpet over :D
Thanks

lisiecki1

FSM = Factory Service Manual...if you don't have one, get one, some of the best money you could spend on your car  :2thumbs:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

RD

??? wonders how many pages this thread is going to become :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander