News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not Just Another 69 Charger Build Thread

Started by miller time, November 17, 2009, 06:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller time

Hey everybody! Yes, I am 500hp_440, Troy being as cool as he is, is giving me another shot, I'd like to first apologize to everbody I upset the last time I was here, if your still upset with me, PM me please. I'd like to keep this thread straight on task. Trying to turn over a new leaf.

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T SE 440, 727, with 3.55 "sure grip".

The car should be yellow, but I dont like the color, the under side, engine bay, and interior is yellow, but I'm going to be painting hr primer black for a few years, roll then paint. So can I rattle can my engine bay and under the fenders flat black? I'm not shooting for perfection, (I want it to look like a project under work), so can I rattler can it black? Interior and underside would stay yellow.

I appreciate all feedback, and if dont say it, Thank you!
God Bless. :patriot:

Ghoste

Yes, you can rattle can it.  I suppose the question to ask would be how much of a project do you want it to look like?  Rattle cans are certainly going to give it a project look but if you are envisioning something more along the line of the Charger in "Deathproof" then rattle cans may end up looking too "chintzy" if you know what I mean.

miller time

Thanks, that movie looks good. I'm not sure, I'm looking for cheap, rust proof, and OK looking.

moparstuart

I am all about second chances   :2thumbs:    Just keep it honest and if someone pisses you off just let it roll off your back .   Listen and you can learn alot around here .    :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

miller time!  thats great.  glad to have you young bucks back.   :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

CB

I've seen flat black Chargers (I had one) painted with a paint gun. It looked a little cloudy, so-so finish.
Other guys have used a small roller brush with round edges (= less stripes) and that resulted in a nice clean smooth finish. I am a little sceptic with rattle cans, even experienced painters can't avoid little clogged chunks coming out of the can.  :Twocents:

Not a big fan of black engine bays BTW, sprayed is even worse....
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

miller time

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the warm welcome.
Also how bad would it really look? It will only be this way for a few years, and it will get heavy traffic under there, from constant part playing and fixing, so easyest to fix scratches. I'm going to look up pictures so see ho bad it woul be.
Thanks.

tan top

:wave: hey man nice to see you back  :yesnod:  how far you got with the charger ?? 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

miller time

Same Place it was when I "left" last time, changed focus to my jeep but I'd rather rolling around town with 3 girls in my 69 then 3 dudes in a mudy 4x4.  :smilielol:

Brock Samson

Quote from: miller time on November 17, 2009, 06:27:24 PM
Hey everybody! Yes, I am 500hp_440, Troy being as cool as he is, is giving me another shot, I'd like to first apologize to everbody I upset the last time I was here, if your still upset with me, PM me please. I'd like to keep this thread straight on task. Trying to turn over a new leaf.

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T SE 440, 727, with 3.55 "sure grip".

The car should be yellow, but I dont like the color, the under side, engine bay, and interior is yellow, but I'm going to be painting hr primer black for a few years, roll then paint. So can I rattle can my engine bay and under the fenders flat black? I'm not shooting for perfection, (I want it to look like a project under work), so can I rattler can it black? Interior and underside would stay yellow.

I appreciate all feedback, and if dont say it, Thank you!
God Bless. :patriot:

Good going Miller! Nice you could get back on good terms,..  :2thumbs:
I would suggest you don't paint anything or cut anything or chop anything, the yellow ain't that bad.

Just add the mechanicals and accesories stuff it needs as you can as you can allways remove stuff but you can't add.
intill you have a big budget it can't help but look like a project anyhow.

miller time

Good going Miller! Nice you could get back on good terms,..  :2thumbs:
I would suggest you don't paint anything or cut anything or chop anything, the yellow ain't that bad.

Just add the mechanicals and accesories stuff it needs as you can as you can allways remove stuff but you can't add.
intill you have a big budget it can't help but look like a project anyhow.

Thanks, that one looks good, but delete the r/t stripe and add a green top :eek2:, I'm thinking eventually General Lee clone, black, or grey, but untill then I can either respray back to yellow, the bad spots or rattle can it black or grey. I have 1 quart of yellow left over, but its a PITA to spray, as I'm sure you know. Also the extior wont match, it will be grey or black too.
Ill figure it out tonight, and I was told how bad yellow is under the hood.
Thanks agian.

Charger440RDN

Take it to Maaco in Florida and let them spray the whole car for $250.00 that would be about as much as you will spend on rattle cans to primer the whole car, plus it would look better.  :Twocents:  here is a link

http://www.maaco.com/

CB

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 19, 2009, 04:09:32 PM
Take it to Maaco in Florida and let them spray the whole car for $250.00 that would be about as much as you will spend on rattle cans to primer the whole car, plus it would look better.  :Twocents:  here is a link

Good option but remember, you get what you pay. You better do some pre-paint preps like taping off some wires/light-grill assemblies, etc ... The more you prep the better the out come. If hauling that piece to FL is an option :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

SG1022

Quote from: CB on November 19, 2009, 04:34:01 PM
Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 19, 2009, 04:09:32 PM

Good option but remember, you get what you pay. You better do some pre-paint preps like taping off some wires/light-grill assemblies, etc ... The more you prep the better the out come. If hauling that piece to FL is an option :shruggy:

Why would he have to haul it to Florida? There are Maacos EVERYwhere

miller time

I would haul it to Florida because I live in Florida :icon_smile_wink:
And I decided to rattle can it, engine bay and behind the fenders, easy of touch up and all. Taking everyone's opion in andtalking to some people. But grey or black? and should I prime it?

teamroth

Welcome back ryan. As far as most of us are concerned it's all water over the bridge..(lol)
Keep us posted, and get some more pics up!
:cheers:
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

G-man

No Idea who you are, probbably good to, cause im slow on 2nd chances.  :Twocents:

Welcome to the forum and gl with whatever you decide. Id leave it yellow since its R/T S/E... nothing worse than changing a colour of a valuable R/T S/E. If you dont like, sell that car and get a Non R/T car and paint it however you want.  :Twocents:

lisiecki1

if you're set on rattle canning it I'd go black....it'll show less grease/grime.

I would suggest you get a good epoxy primer instead of the spray paint though to make for a tougher coat.....and then when you're ready to paint a few years from now a good scrubbing and a scuff up and you can shoot your color  :Twocents:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

motorcitydak

Yeah, I know that you say you want to rattle can it, but if you have the means, just epoxy prime it. I have some of my parts sprayed with it and its actually looks decent. After a few days it fully cures and gets a nice gloss to it. Plus it protects your metal way better than anything else. Then when you get the money to paint it, all you have to do is hit it with a scotch brite pad to take the gloss off it and paint it.

I know you are a young, hard-headed (no offense) guy like me, but it may just be your best option.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

six-tee-nine

I'd say buy a spray gun and paint. Than will cost you less than all the rattle cans you will need....
If sprayed yourself buy some cut and buff marterials and get going....

The result wil be the best you can wish for for little money...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

orange383

Have you seen what some guys have acheived with rustoleum?
Some excellent results and mega cheap too.
Just need to prep it right first.

I'll see if I can find the links!

miller time

Thanks everybody :cheers:
How's it going Teamroth?
I decided to go black, I dont want gloss because it's going to look bad, the whole point it to keep rust :eek2: away!
I found some 97 cent cans of non goss black at Home Depot, just enough to protect. Also when it gets paint again, I'm taking it to a shop, no way am I taking off multi layer cheapo spray paint.
G-man, thanks and later down the road when it needs a 3rd paint job, I might go back to yellow, but I dont want to dump a rust free dream car to get something that's not as good.
I would use real car paint but its like $70 a quart, and I'd need a gallon at least and cans are less then a $1 each.
:2thumbs:
If I'm about to screw up somone tell me lol.

lisiecki1

Quote from: miller time on November 20, 2009, 08:16:44 PM
Thanks everybody :cheers:
How's it going Teamroth?
I decided to go black, I dont want gloss because it's going to look bad, the whole point it to keep rust :eek2: away!
I found some 97 cent cans of non goss black at Home Depot, just enough to protect. Also when it gets paint again, I'm taking it to a shop, no way am I taking off multi layer cheapo spray paint.
G-man, thanks and later down the road when it needs a 3rd paint job, I might go back to yellow, but I dont want to dump a rust free dream car to get something that's not as good.
I would use real car paint but its like $70 a quart, and I'd need a gallon at least and cans are less then a $1 each.
:2thumbs:
If I'm about to screw up somone tell me lol.

Just so you know, rustoleum will not stop rust.  I did a whole trailer with it - it lasted about 2 months before rust spots were noticeable and after 6 months it looked like it was never painted in the first place.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

miller time

Thanks, I'm going to be watching rust very carefully. :yesnod:
I'm going to finish the prep tonight and maby do a fender or two, depends on how tired I get.

69bronzeT5

Just get Maaco to do a quick paint job on it dude. It'll be more durible than spray cans. Trust me, with non gloss spray paint, you see every single scratch and mark. My Charger is red primer and you can see EVERYTHING.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic