News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strut rod question

Started by b5blue, November 15, 2009, 08:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

OK the strut rod bushings are held in position by large cupped washers in front and rear of the K frame. I have installed them so they "cup" towards the bushing, I just read a article that states they should cup away from the bushing?  :scratchchin:

BrianShaughnessy

The diagrams I found match Sinnamon's K-frame I yanked a few days ago.   And match just about every other car I recall.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

BBKNARF

Mine are cupped towards the bushings.  :yesnod:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

8WHEELER

My 74 Dart Sport, came with them cupped away from the bushings, it just looks wrong, but
it had never been touched before I dug into it.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Belgium R/T -68

I assembled mine towards the bushing.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

I wonder how they are on the "MILLION" dollar 66 Charger?

Ghoste

Mine came off with the dish facing the bushing and that's how I put them back on.  As for that Dart Sport my guess would be someone new on the job that day at the assembly plant.

b5blue

Yes and Brian's diagram agrees with how I've done them for the last 15 years or so. The article is in the online magazine that the 1mil 66 hemi Charger has a write up in (Moparmax)   

maxwellwedge

I have never seen them any way other than curved around the bushing like in Brian's actual photo.

John_Kunkel

Some aftermarket bushings are a different design and the instructions specify the cup facing out, the factory cups face in.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

8WHEELER

Don't take me wrong, I put the new ones on pointing toward the bushing, as I allways have.
Just thought it was strange, the Dart had them on backwards from the factory.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 16, 2009, 08:45:13 PM
Don't take me wrong, I put the new ones on pointing toward the bushing, as I allways have.
Just thought it was strange, the Dart had them on backwards from the factory.

Dan

If you look at the Dart pic, the roll pin has been replaced with a cotter pin so there was some kind of work performed on it at some time.

Rolling_Thunder

I have seen them cupped outward (away from the bushing) quite a few times...     :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

flyinlow

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 16, 2009, 07:52:43 PM

Some aftermarket bushings are a different design and the instructions specify the cup facing out, the factory cups face in.

I bought the Moog improved design strut bushing kit . It appears to face away.

Hemidog

It's a pain to install new bushings right? I mean, you have to unload the torsion bars, remove the LCA ect??  :scratchchin:

b5blue

Yup and alignment would need to be checked when your done also, I just did a bunch of front end work then noticed the article on the website that has the million dollar 66 Charger in it. After reading it's recommendation to install the cups outward "or the bushing's will wear out quickly" I thought WTF?   

Hemidog

Then I am not looking forward to this winter!  :brickwall:

Did you use some good threads from this site when you did yours?

b5blue

Actually do this, find the topic on the million dollar 66 Hemi Charger here. Click on the ebay link in that thread. Then use the link in the ebay ad to find the magazine article for that Charger. Now in that issue was the "strut rod how to" article, it was a good article and covered every detail well as I just did it all (Along with other stuff) not long ago. The only thing "wrong" is the way the cups are turned away from the bushings, hence this thread.  :o Sorry to give you the long way in but if you bookmark that page you will have it right there when you do it...it's not that bad!   

Hemidog

John_Kunkel

Quote from: flyinlow on November 16, 2009, 11:30:56 PM
I bought the Moog improved design strut bushing kit . It appears to face away.

Yep, the K-7040 two-piece design has the cups facing away from the bushing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.