News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

On my 73 I got the engine in finally, just need a few more things

Started by WH23G3G, November 15, 2009, 07:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

After fiver years I finally reinstalled the engine on my 73 Charger. I got tired of waiting around for my friends that kept backing out. I did it myself. I was unable to do the engine/trans combo installation as my home garage prevented me from doing that. If I would have waited for my friends to help me move it out in the driveway it would probably be another year before it's in. I believe I can get another friend to help get the 727 in. I've heard from other message boards it's not going to be easy. But if I can get this engine and do everything else I did to this car by myself I can at least get this transmission in with some help. I installed some of the external stuff to get it out of the way. I was pretty mad when I went to plug everything in and noticed the new engine wiring harness I got from Year One didn't have the choke control power wire wired in. Now I've got to cut into a good harness. I bought this harness when I first got the car 5 years ago so I wonder if they've figured that it's missing by now. The engine went in easy, the hardest part being manuevering the hoist around the car to get it at the right angle. The car takes up most of the useable room in my garage. I got it in car in about 1hr and hooked up the pipes temporarily. Everything looks good and I didn't scratch anything under the hood or on the engine. The last part of this car that's being bead blasted is the factory dual snorkel air cleaner. I just have to get it painted and decals for it and get the tranny and driveshaft in. Then I can proceed to the intial startup and break-in. So if my first rebuild didn't work out at least it will still look good. It sure was a lot of work.

Beer

Your ahead of me! Must feel great.  Pics please!  Congrats on the progress  :yesnod:   :cheers:
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

WH23G3G

I'm going to take lots of pics now that it's near completion. I should've taken more during teardown but I just wanted to get it done. It actually looks pretty good underneath despite not being a show rotiserrie restoration. My next problem is getting the 727 in. I got a cool transmission jack that looks like it will help, but eventhough it was the slimmest one it sure is going to make it hard to raise the car enough to get all that under there. I'm going to have to actually wait on a friend to be here to help to get this in. I hate jacking up the car higher with a jack and jackstands because it's probably going to have to be as high as the jackstands will go. This might take awhile to get the trans in, but after that it should wrap up quick. I'm even able to get the bigger aftermarket radiator to fit like OE even with an original fan shroud. I wish someone would make the cool looking coolant reserve radiator cap instead of the plain aluminum one for non coolant reserve cooling systems that would just finish off my engine bay. I'm still missing two small original A/C brackets. I'm going to go ahead and put it all on so I can just use the original size belts. So after all this if it doesn't work out and least it will look correct. If this motor doesn't work out I don't know what I'll do. I'll keep up with the progress.

Dodgecharger74

When i jack a car up that high I set the car tires in 4 old rims with out tires car can not move that way. and its safe. I had a friend that got trapped under his car He did not get out. That was 30 years age I stiil use the rims to this day.
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi