News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spectra chrome

Started by 68pplcharger, November 10, 2009, 12:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68pplcharger

Does anybody have experience, or know of anybody with experience, with this product? It can, supposedly, be sprayed on and it looks like chrome. ::)
It was at the 2008 SEMA show and won a best new product award.

I was thinking of using it to restore dash bezels, Ive got three cars to use this on. If it's half as good as it looks the cost for three would be $200 vs probably $1500.

E5 Charger

First I've heard of it. Did you check out their website? It looks like you need some specialized equipment. http://www.sprayonchrome.com/ Have you seen smaller kits somewhere?

Mike DC

I've heard that these new chrome sprays (MirraChrome, etc) do look pretty good, but the surface prep & application are EVERYTHING.  The surface being coated has to be literally just as glass-smooth as you want the final chrome finish to be.  

I don't know about durability but it's supposed to be decent.  

The main claim to fame for the stuff is the ability to chrome items that you otherwise couldn't feasibly do.  And there are some interesting color & semi-chrome effects that are possible too.  

68pplcharger

Quote[First I've heard of it. Did you check out their website? It looks like you need some specialized equipment. http://www.sprayonchrome.com/ Have you seen smaller kits somewhere?

I have seen the kit, look like a small vacuum recovery system. I'm not convinced that you need it. The mirror finish could probably be obtained from proper gun set up etc. They show an SUV being painted in a spray booth, which leads me to believe you don't need the equipment they are offering. Would be good to have if you use this stuff alot. (to minimize loss during application)

They won't sell you a test size smaller than 1 pint. They do offer classes for spraying the Spectra chrome, but I'm not going to Florida for that. If you guys run across somebody, or a post that discusses this stuff let me know.

68pplcharger

oops!!! my text was put in the quote above  :nana:

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: I think a europian member here used that to do some thing but it was a couple years ago at least, maybe someone remembers whoa..  :shruggy: I know I have seen it on other car sites on the internet... I'm sure a search would turn up something..

suntech

QuoteI think a europian member here used that to do some thing but it was a couple years ago at least, maybe someone remembers whoa..   I know I have seen it on other car sites on the internet... I'm sure a search would turn up something..

Do you mean Norwaycharger? He used it on taillights and bumpers, if i remember right  :scratchchin:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Silver R/T

You have to buy a pretty expensive system, unless you will be specializing in chroming parts I wouldn't do it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

I thought there were some brands of those paints that didn't demand a huge initial investment. 

68pplcharger

I've checked all over the internet and haven't found anything. Probably best to just have them redone. The spray can stuff isn't very good I've tried some of that already. The other spray on chrome using a spray gun , without huge initial investments, are nearly $300 a pint.

Mike DC

Well yeah, the conventional rattle-can "chrome" paints aren't comparable.  That stuff is basically just light gray paint with a lot of metallic dumped into it.  

I don't know how far a pint of the good stuff would go.  It would probably go farther than a pint of clearcoat but I don't know.  

I come away thinking the same thing as before - these new high-end chrome paints are useful when conventional plating is impractical, but they're still not a replacement for real chrome when it's possible.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say this - The new high-end chrome paints finally do seem to work pretty well.  

Check out this example:  

You ain't gonna produce that finish with anything from the spray-can aisle at Home Despot.  

FLG

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 12, 2009, 12:34:56 PM

WOW!!! Wow they sure are really making those shopping carts look shiney now adays  :2thumbs:

68pplcharger

Shiney, but little room for groceries.  :smilielol:

b5blue

They are 10 minutes down the road from me, maybe I could check them out.  :scratchchin:

68pplcharger

That would be awesome, see if they will slip you a sample.

b5blue

You see they have a free DVD the stuff is put on with water. :scratchchin:

68pplcharger

I applied for the free DVD, just waiting for a response