News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

grdprx's electrical questions. new ? 11/20

Started by grdprx, June 19, 2009, 09:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

I started on my electrical last night.  Got a box full of wires with the car when I bought it, I get to figure out where they all go.  The engine harness has an extra clump of wires past the alternator area.  There are like 4 connectors.  I'm thinking they're for A/C.  Any idea if there's an issue if I leave them sitting there?  My 68 is a non air condition car.

Also had another question related to the alternator.  The main lead to the alt has a black and violet wire.  My wiring diagram doesn't show the violet going to the alt..  Problem?

Rolling_Thunder

the purple wire should be a push on style connector - that goes to temp sensor
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

grdprx

I got the temp sensor connected.  The wire for the alternator has a black and purple wire together.  I'll try and take a picture tonight.

John_Kunkel

The wires that extend past the alternator are probably for the horn relay on the core support. Are they violet, black and dark green?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

grdprx

I do believe you are correct John!  Thanks!   :cheers:  I found those on the wiring diagram now.

So, I have a few different odds and ends I don't know where go; so I'll just continue this thread..   :coolgleamA:

I believe via John's answer that the purple wire that attaches to the alternator with that black wire is the power to the horn.  Am I right?!   (fingers crossed..)

I have a couple other connectors I'm wondering about.  On the head light harness at the bulk head, there is a 2 wire connector about 5 inches from bulk head.  Suggestions?

And the wiper harness, there is another 2 wire connector; the wiring diagram says Low oil pressure switch and Backup lamp switch.  Could anyone share a pic?  I have an early 68...

maxwellwedge

I believe that goes to the Neutral safety switch via a plug in harness to that connector.

The other stuff is the horn relay (2 connectors) Horns (2 conectors) and probably washer motor (1 connector). It gets installed on the little 3-prong clip on the alt. (if you have one on it) across to the inner fender and then goes through the inner fender straps to the locations specified above.

0X01B8

I think that plug that you've got your finger on in the pic near the power brake booster goes to the hood mounted turn signals.  The plug may have been there whether the car has the option or not.   :shruggy:

grdprx

Cool, thanks 0X01B8!  Makes sense to be on the harness with the rest of the lights.  I have the openings in the hood, not sure if I have the harness though.  Right on, it's like working on a puzzle!   :rofl:

grdprx

My Neutral safety switch runs straight from the starter relay, 1968 single point style.

The only unknown now is the wiper harness, I looked at the diagram; says it's the Backup lamp switch.  Where is that?   :shruggy:

What do you think is going on with my battery cable?  are those other 2 wires supposed to be there?

0X01B8

Quote from: grdprx on June 20, 2009, 12:25:38 PM
My Neutral safety switch runs straight from the starter relay, 1968 single point style.

The only unknown now is the wiper harness, I looked at the diagram; says it's the Backup lamp switch.  Where is that?   :shruggy:

What do you think is going on with my battery cable?  are those other 2 wires supposed to be there?

I believe the backup and neutral switch are on the same plug, at the trans.  Yeah, those 2 wires are extra.  It looks like a cob job or an aftermarket cable.

Here's a pic of the 2-speed wiper motor.  Hope it helps.

-john

y3chargerrt

Yeah change that POS battery cable before it leaves you stranded.

grdprx

Right on, thanks!  I'll have to take a look at it in the morning.

grdprx

Got a new question.  I'm ready to wire the tach to the coil.  At the back of the tach, the wire feeds into a bunch of taped wires, where does it come out to go through the firewall?  What color should I be looking for?  Same as attached to back of tach? 

It's a mess under there, and I didn't see anything.

0X01B8

Quote from: grdprx on June 27, 2009, 01:57:10 PM
Got a new question.  I'm ready to wire the tach to the coil.  At the back of the tach, the wire feeds into a bunch of taped wires, where does it come out to go through the firewall?  What color should I be looking for?  Same as attached to back of tach? 

It's a mess under there, and I didn't see anything.

The wires that are all taped up is probably to get power to the clock.  From the factory you would have a gray wire that runs from the other post on the tach through a rubber plug in the firewall.  My car didn't have a tach but you can see where the hole would have been in my picture above.  It's the dimple just above the block that all the underhood harnesses plug into.  I think the tach was an afterthought for our cars.

0X01B8

Actually, it's prolly not that dimple, I had it wrong.  Looking at your pictures again, it appears to be that hole under the larger one where the vacuum lines go through for the headlight doors.  If you're wiring is all hacked up this won't help, but it's definitely a gray wire by itself through it's very own firewall plug.

-john

grdprx

So, it goes straight from the tach through the wall?  I'd searched on here and saw a picture of the rear of the tach, so I know it's the right gray wire..  I just couldn't find the routing info.  I may have to cut the bunch of taped wires.

The wiring isn't as bad as some people here have posted, but there are some add on's that intrigue me..  "Wonder what the heck that's for"  Or the bare wires in a few spots.

Also found a trailer wiring harness spliced into the rear tail lights!  I don't have a hitch on the Charger either.  Weird.

Thanks for your help John!

grdprx

So, I cut open that bunch of wires; and the gray wire attached to the back of the tach leads to the headlight switch?!

I looked at my wiring diagram, it doesn't show a wire off the coil for the tach on the Non-Hemi page.  But it does on the Hemi diagram.  So, I'm going to just run the wire straight there for now; for my engine break in (hopefully next month!)

-Ian

grdprx

How do I determine if my 68 had rear defrost?

I'm dealing with a fuse box issue.  I'm missing a part of the Fuse holder, which looks like it's the rear defrost connection.  Should that holder be there either if I had defrost or not?  I can't see anything tampered with or visually "wrong."

My rear deck has been hacked up where there are speaker openings.  I'm not sure what to look for though, defroster related, I got the car completely stripped.  The dash has the typical whole, either missing the block plate or the switch...

grdprx

Also have another new question.  I have this yellow wire that is under the dash, near the center, that was kinda just hanging there.  I followed it toward the passenger side of the car, it goes up behind the glove box near the map light...  it's paired with a pink wire.  Well, the map light works, so that's not what it goes to...  Any ideas?  :icon_smile_question:

Nacho-RT74

yellow wire is used to be door switch ground. Pink, is constant positive

thinking!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

grdprx

Any thoughts on the fuse box dilemma?  I found a picture of a fuse box, and it is missing both fuse holders in that same block...  Last picture here...  
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63563.msg710559.html#msg710559

Just found another picture similar to the above link.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37013.msg406648.html#msg406648

So, why would I have 1 fuse holder in that block?  Should I put a fuse there?  Nothing to "pop" the fuse, right?

Nacho-RT74

THATS AN ACCESORIES SOURCE... I guess installed oin car fully equipped. You got luck because at least have one :P

I'm searching another thread more complete info about that fuse location and how fill it but dunno remmeber if was here or at Moparts
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

grdprx

Thank you Nacho!  Good info there.  Looks like it was factory options.  Strange that mine has one side only.

:cheers: