News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Garage Floor Paint

Started by Nitrox, November 09, 2009, 12:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitrox

I just purchased a new home. Im considering using that special "Garage Floor Paint" to throw down prior to me moving all my crap in it. What are your opinions on which paint to use and if its even worth the hassle.

Heres what Im considering:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=151710-90-251163&lpage=none

b5blue

NHCharger

I've had real good luck with the stuff I bought from HD. I believe it's made by Behr. It's a two part system, prime the floor first then paint. It's been four or five years and it hasn't flaked or lifted, and this is in my shop where I do all the work on my vehicles including welding.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Back N Black

Quote from: Nitrox on November 09, 2009, 12:06:49 AM
I just purchased a new home. Im considering using that special "Garage Floor Paint" to throw down prior to me moving all my crap in it. What are your opinions on which paint to use and if its even worth the hassle.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=151710-90-251163&lpage=none

I just used that product last weekend, i like it. Only time will tell on how well it holds up. :2thumbs:

ipstrategies

I have used it  (all epoxy/paint 2 part) and it has held up great in our Sun room for 5 plus years. A buddy did his whole basement.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Nitrox

Quote from: NHCharger on November 09, 2009, 05:34:24 AM
...it's made by Behr. 

I do all the work on my vehicles including welding.

Ive never heard of Behr. Do you think its comparible quality to the Rust Oleum? The five year success youve had from their product is impressive!

Along with the welding, its holding up pretty good against scuff marks from metallic casters sliding all over the place from a floor jack? And jack stands stabbing down into it?

Blown70

Behr, is the brand of paint that HD carries. and sure that maybe the brand of floor paint too....

68X426

Quote from: Nitrox on November 09, 2009, 12:06:49 AM

The Lowe's ad doesn't say what coverage you get with the product. My concern would be the following hypothetical scenario: a floor that is 320 square feet (16x20) and coverage is 50 sqf per kit (guessing on that coverage). You are then into this project for more than $800, depending on your local sales tax. And it could be way more costly depending on saturation level or second coats.

The issue is to compare the total cost for alternative paints, or stains, or matting, or doing nothing. I'm a fan of the matting, especially because you can change it, repair it, take it with you when you move. Good luck. :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ipstrategies

It covers 500 sf should do a 2.5 garage.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

68X426

Quote from: ipstrategies on November 09, 2009, 07:35:53 PM
It covers 500 sf should do a 2.5 garage.

That is a fantastic coverage level. Seems to good to be true.  :eyes:

If so then it is an incredibly cheap way to go and impossible to pass up. 

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

mopar_nut_440_6

I have been considering painting my floor as well but do to the traffic (jack stands, creepers, floor jacks, welding and grinding) I am hesitant to put anything on which will look like crap in a few years and be a pain to fix.

Can anybody post pics and products as well as experiences both good and bad.

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Nitrox

If you click the photo in the Lowes advertisement that I provided. It will enlarge and you can see on the right hand side of the box that it covers a 2.5 car garage for $120

Whats this "matting" about? Im not familiar with it at all.

NHCharger

Quote from: Nitrox on November 09, 2009, 12:24:28 PM
Quote from: NHCharger on November 09, 2009, 05:34:24 AM
...it's made by Behr. 

I do all the work on my vehicles including welding.

Ive never heard of Behr. Do you think its comparible quality to the Rust Oleum? The five year success youve had from their product is impressive!

Along with the welding, its holding up pretty good against scuff marks from metallic casters sliding all over the place from a floor jack? And jack stands stabbing down into it?

No problems dragging jack stands and floor jacks and rolling around on the creeper. Two things so far have taken the paint off. I set my saw depth to deep cutting plywood and cut into the floor, I dropped some bondo on the floor and didn't bother scrapping it up for a week, some of the paint came up with the bondo.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

68X426

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

gasoline_24

This is another product.  I have seen it installed on TV, but not in person.  http://www.ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm

bugsydog

there are actually a few really good epoxy floor coatings that work great in the garage,  it all depends on what your looking for, I've been in the waterproofing/floor coating business for 20 yrs and seen my share of the so call god/bad and the ugly. there are urethane coating and decorative epoxy coatings, but first it's all in the preperation of the substrate first, then it come down to what are you going to use the substrate for? is it going to be used for building cars? so when you drop tools or whatever, then you need an industrial epoxy coating that will chemical resistant and be inpact resistant. there are decent floor coating that you can apply that will enhance your garage along with your hotrod for a reasonable price.

The70RT

I have had the Rust-oleum stuff on for 7 years and it has went through a lot without really showing a lot of wear.  The tiles look good but what about when you spill stuff, i don't see using oil dry on it. I'm sure it will leak through the cracks as well. It looks more a decorative thing then a work area.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

moparguy01

McPherson college where i went to school had the UcoatIt stuff on their archive room. I hated it. Imagine trying to push a 67 Chrysler Imperial on a sheet of ice, thats how it felt trying to get that sucker rolling. They had no grit put into it at all, but it sure looked purdy.

speedfreak68

Quote from: moparguy01 on November 12, 2009, 07:24:56 AM
McPherson college where i went to school had the UcoatIt stuff on their archive room. I hated it. Imagine trying to push a 67 Chrysler Imperial on a sheet of ice, thats how it felt trying to get that sucker rolling. They had no grit put into it at all, but it sure looked purdy.

HAHA I just experienced that yesterday haha!!!  :2thumbs:

moparguy01

Quote from: speedfreak68 on November 12, 2009, 04:53:22 PM
Quote from: moparguy01 on November 12, 2009, 07:24:56 AM

HAHA I just experienced that yesterday haha!!!  :2thumbs:

they STILL have that damn thing? Man.....