News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RANT - f@#$ 05 Jeep Starter motor

Started by 451-74Charger, November 05, 2009, 11:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

451-74Charger

Starter #3 just up and died this morning. That is 3 in 18 months.
Of course Jeep know nothing of an issue besides all the Forum postings about these going bad.
Its not so bad now I do this myself, besides having to take off a off road skid plate, and trans to differential drive shaft (and losing about 1lb of skin from tha back of my hand due to the person who put this together having dainty, lady like child sized hands).

When will Chrysler own up to this issue and issue a recall or RRT?

Troy

If it's anything like the diesel trucks - never. Be sure to buy up several spares before inventory starts running low and they jack up the prices.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Todd Wilson

Quit buying the starters at a parts store and have the, rebuilt at a shop.

Todd

moparguy01

451-74Charger

These are ALL OEM starters from the dealer (1/2 price of parts shop)

451-74Charger

Put the new starter in this weekend, and the new one even spins faster than the old.
Tested the old one on a spare battery and it spun right up.

Just a thought... It the solenoid throws out the gear, and it doesnt line up and mesh with the flywheel, it will stop the motor spinning. So could my problem be related to the alighnment of the flywheel and starter gears?
i an thinking it throws out, but as the gears are only 1/2 chamfered, they are hitting the flywheel occasionally. That could explain why some Jeep owners have the issue several times, as I noticed a little play in alligning the starter.

BigBlackDodge

Did the original have any shims between the starter and housing?

BBD

451-74Charger

moparguy01

i have had much better luck with a bench built starter or alternator than a parts store or even a dealership part. I used to take mine to a guy in my hometown and never had one last less than 5 years. it was usually around 50 to bench build the alternators and around 60-65 for the starters.

451-74Charger

Well, I have 2 good cores now at least, so I guess Ill pull one apart and see whats going on, but like I said, the new one works great

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on November 05, 2009, 11:25:41 AM
If it's anything like the diesel trucks - never. Be sure to buy up several spares before inventory starts running low and they jack up the prices.

Troy

did you have a problem with your starter Troy?
On a side note, contacts on my 01 went out (it has 124K) and I've just replaced plunger/contacts, works as new. I'm not sure if your Jeep one is rebuildable or not. I would certainly take a look at it before spending $100's more
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 10, 2009, 05:51:53 PM
Quote from: Troy on November 05, 2009, 11:25:41 AM

Troy

did you have a problem with your starter Troy?
On a side note, contacts on my 01 went out (it has 124K) and I've just replaced plunger/contacts, works as new. I'm not sure if your Jeep one is rebuildable or not. I would certainly take a look at it before spending $100's more
Haha, no - that's the one thing I haven't replaced.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RD

Quote from: 451-74Charger on November 09, 2009, 09:18:23 AM
So could my problem be related to the alighnment of the flywheel and starter gears?

not saying you did this, but if the area in which you are working is as difficult to get to as you say, it could be possible that you are not tightening the starter bolts to torque spec, thusly they will back out (even if it is a smidgeon) and cause alignment issues.  I have had to warranty a starter just this last week because the installer did not tighten the bolts down to spec.  If you are having issues getting the appropriate torque, I recommend a pair of lock washers for your starter bolts in the attempt to maintain tightness and position.

i have not sold many jeep starters recently, i work for o'reilly's.  What price are you having to ultimately pay?

edit- which one is it?

this one? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ULT0/17937.oap?year=2005&make=Jeep&model=Grand%2BCherokee&vi=1430897&keyword=starter&partType=01920&parentPartType=C0330

or this one? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ULT0/17938.oap?year=2005&make=Jeep&model=Grand%2BCherokee&vi=1430899&keyword=starter&partType=01920&parentPartType=C0330
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

451-74Charger

They physically look the same. just the ratings that seem different.
I know the OEM has been superceeded to part suffix AC from AB (original)
I use an air wrench, and then torque it the final bit.